Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVDSP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Southwick, MA
In the new Mail.app in Panther is there any way to add Hyperlinks or make the URL clickable without resorting to Plain Text?

Anytime I send a link to an AOL account it comes through only as the address and can not be clicked on. So when I send an address to say, my grandmother, she can't click it and doesn't understand copy and paste and just gets confused. Same goes for my neighbor who uses Outlook, my URLs are not clickable and I always get a response from him saying "CAN'T CLICK THE LINK!!". Apparently, he doesn't understand copy and paste either.

By the way, Plain Text works if I send to my neighbor but not to AOL.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I can't understand why HTML support isn't built into Mail. I find it really annoying not to be able to compose messages with simple hyperlinks and the like. Even rich text doesn't always display properly on Windows machines.

It's a pity, because I love the simplicity of Mail - it's the best thing out there IMO.

One thing I have found though... If you type in the full email address or full web address (including http://), you can't click it in Mail, but it appears to get converted to a hyperlink when you send the message.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Try using the trailing slash trick. When you add a hyperlink, type is out with the http:// then at the end and one more / that should automaticaly turn it into a Hyperlink.

TEG

mwjd299

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2003
Santa Maria, CA
Originally posted by TEG
Try using the trailing slash trick. When you add a hyperlink, type is out with the http:// then at the end and one more / that should automaticaly turn it into a Hyperlink.

TEG

I am having problems inserting hyperlinks also. Sometimes links are very long and are impossible to type out. Your way does work, but Apple needs to address this problem and be able to paste hyperlinks into messages.
Have had my 20" iMac for 5 days now, Nice!!

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
similar question

is there a way to insert a link in Mail but have the text read something other than the URL? like how we can do it here on the forums.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
That's what I originally wanted to find out. The answer appears to be no. Shame, because it would be such an easy feature to implement (like in Netscape Mail). Even Entourage can't handle it!

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
yeah i used to do it all the time in netscape when i was running OS 9...guess i'm off to Apple's OS X feedback page to make a feature request...

snakedoctor

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
I dont know about AOL. However I use rich text with mail, and if I copy and paste a link into a new message and hit enter/return then it goes as a link.

Apple needs to look at how Outlook/Outlook express does it (so does Entourage). In Outlook it turns into a hyper link while composing so you KNOW right then its going as a hyper link. I am always hoping it does with mail.

Still I like Mail, so simple. Entourage is a Frankenstein of Email apps, trying to be Outlook and Apple like....miserably failing at both. But I run it for the business accounts I keep that use Exchange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.