Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:11 PM   #1
RudeIota
macrumors newbie

Automatic login for network-managed OS X?

I'll try to keep this concise...

I have a 10.3.9 client and a 10.4.11 server. The server uses Open Directory for accounts, clients can login and network management works properly.

My issue is - I would like the client to automatically login to a network managed account created specifically for that computer. The only ways to auto login (that I've found) deal with local accounts.

I was thinking there might be a trick with Netinfo or something along those lines... Any ideas?
RudeIota is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:50 AM   #2
RudeIota
macrumors newbie

... I take that as a 'no'?
RudeIota is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 08:47 AM   #3
bigandy
macrumors G3

I'm certainly not aware of any way that you can, and would assume it would not be allowed, as it's a major potential security hole in your network.
Old May 2, 2008, 10:36 AM   #4
viggen9
macrumors member

You can use ARD to send the username and password to the loginwindow fields and set that as a recurring task.
viggen9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 08:33 PM   #5
thecow
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to thecow
I know this is possible in 10.4, not sure about 10.3. I have about 30 computers in a lab that all share one account on an OD master to easily set all the preferences for the whole lab. (yeah, I know that's not the best way to do it, but it works)
I think the way that I got them to auto login was to log into the network account, open system preferences and go to the accounts pane. The network account should show up as a choice for auto login. Select it and put in your password as you would with a local one.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking