Automatic login for network-managed OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by RudeIota, Apr 11, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 11, 2008
    I'll try to keep this concise... :)

I have a 10.3.9 client and a 10.4.11 server. The server uses Open Directory for accounts, clients can login and network management works properly.

My issue is - I would like the client to automatically login to a network managed account created specifically for that computer. The only ways to auto login (that I've found) deal with local accounts.

I was thinking there might be a trick with Netinfo or something along those lines... Any ideas?
  2. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 11, 2008
  3. macrumors G3

Apr 30, 2004
    I'm certainly not aware of any way that you can, and would assume it would not be allowed, as it's a major potential security hole in your network.
  4. macrumors member

Oct 18, 2004
    You can use ARD to send the username and password to the loginwindow fields and set that as a recurring task.
  5. macrumors 6502

Nov 24, 2003
    Timonium MD
    I know this is possible in 10.4, not sure about 10.3. I have about 30 computers in a lab that all share one account on an OD master to easily set all the preferences for the whole lab. (yeah, I know that's not the best way to do it, but it works)
    I think the way that I got them to auto login was to log into the network account, open system preferences and go to the accounts pane. The network account should show up as a choice for auto login. Select it and put in your password as you would with a local one.