Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Nov 11, 2003, 09:52 PM   #1
jaw04005
macrumors 601

My Computer Thinks I'm In the UK

The craziest thing is happening with my iMac. Every website I visit that is international, seems to always direct me to UK technical support or information (like Apple.Com & Powershot.Com). I'm in the US, and I can't figure out why this keeps happening. Also, lately software I have tried to install has always highlighted that i'm in UK/Japan, and I have to choose the bullet that says North America/United States, etc. I can't figure this out, in my international preference panel I'm set to US dollars/US Region/etc. Anyone have any ideas?
jaw04005 is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2003, 10:57 PM   #2
wr0x2
macrumors member

Have you done anything unusual lately? The web redirect thing sounds like an ISP issue, although everything else is definatly on your system. Try to think of anything you've installed lately that might be doing this.
wr0x2 is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2003, 11:26 PM   #3
evil

sorry, but that is pretty funny.

and i have no suggestions either.
evil is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2003, 11:30 PM   #4
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Re: My Computer Thinks I'm In the UK

Quote:
Originally posted by joshuawaire
The craziest thing is happening with my iMac. Every website I visit that is international, seems to always direct me to UK technical support or information (like Apple.Com & Powershot.Com). I'm in the US, and I can't figure out why this keeps happening. Also, lately software I have tried to install has always highlighted that i'm in UK/Japan, and I have to choose the bullet that says North America/United States, etc. I can't figure this out, in my international preference panel I'm set to US dollars/US Region/etc. Anyone have any ideas?
Computers are generally right. Therefore you are probably not in the US.

Did you buy the iMac from somebody overseas? I dunno if the "region" is hardcoded into the machine or not. Although I doubt the website could even access that. It's probably an issue with your ISP more so than with your Mac. I'd contact your ISP and nicely ask them to look into the situation. It may very well not be there fault. But I know a lot of "web tracking" software tries to determine the location of the visitors. The code may just be determining you're somewhere you're not... ask the ISP tech support to check a specific site that you are having a problem with. If you're having the problem, they will probably have it to if it's their issue.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 11:41 PM   #5
manitoubalck
Banned

My computer Thinks I live in Austria, I selected the wrong country while installing WinXP.
manitoubalck is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2003, 11:55 PM   #6
Powerbook G5
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Powerbook G5 Send a message via Yahoo to Powerbook G5
Reminds me of a shirt I saw once at a tourist area in Austria, "Austria: The country without kangaroos".
Old Nov 13, 2003, 09:41 AM   #7
fukuhela
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to fukuhela
Quote:
Computers are generally right. Therefore you are probably not in the US.
That's just funny - all I can say: FUNNY. But nevertheless I think you're right
Old Nov 13, 2003, 09:58 AM   #8
jxyama
macrumors 68040

1) check your cookies. a lot of preferences are stored there.

2) is your system set to the U.S.? change "international" and "date&time" in sys. pref. back to normal places..?

i'd imagine wiping your cookies may solve some of the problems...

for others, i don't know how to deal with it, but your OS must have been installed as to be used in the U.K. i noticed that when i started up my new eMac, it asked for locality. (this was independent of later adjustments in internationalization... you could be a Japanese speaker living in the U.S., like me. the correct thing to do was install panther with locality U.S. then adjust your language setting to primarily Japanese. if you install panther with locality Japan, then the machine will think it's physically in Japan...) i know clean install should get rid of this problem, but there must be another way without wiping your entire drive... so if you contact your ISP and there's nothing wrong, i'd go look around in Apple Knowledge base..

Last edited by jxyama; Nov 13, 2003 at 10:03 AM.
jxyama is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2003, 02:35 PM   #9
Nermal

Even though I have my "region" set to Australia (because there's no option for NZ ), it thinks I'm in the UK because I've selected British English as my language. Check what your language is set to.
Nermal is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2003, 08:49 PM   #10
realityisterror
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to realityisterror
have you checked your own individual address card entry
you can use that to auto-fill forms so maybe the website is somehow accessing it...
not likely, but worth a try
reality
realityisterror is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 05:59 AM   #11
CrackedButter
macrumors 68040

Why not just move to the UK, isn't that simpler?
Old Nov 14, 2003, 08:36 AM   #12
colocolo
macrumors 6502

As long as your car doesn't think your'e in the UK and starts shifting to the wrong lane... I think you're safe.
colocolo is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers