Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:09 PM   #1
SamIchi
macrumors 68030

Does the Mac Offer anything similar to Microsoft Publisher?

It's not in the Office suite for mac, so anything else for Desktop Publishing on the mac? What's a popular app for that? Should I learn InDesign in CS3? I found that MS Publisher is pretty user friendly and gets the job done.
SamIchi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:10 PM   #2
iFizz
macrumors regular

Pages?

EDIT: OK, it was a joke. haha. Try this:

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/softw...tpsoftware.htm

Last edited by iFizz; Apr 16, 2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: added link
iFizz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Sky Blue

There's Quark too.
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:13 PM   #4
vanmacguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to vanmacguy Send a message via Skype™ to vanmacguy
The version of Word in Office 2008 does all the same stuff that Publisher does I believe.

It now works in two modes. Word Processing and DTP.

Cheers.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:14 PM   #5
SamIchi
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
There's Quark too.
Forgot about quark, what's an industry standard? Popular?
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:15 PM   #6
arkitect
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIchi View Post
industry standard?
InDesign
Quark
arkitect is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:15 PM   #7
SamIchi
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmacguy View Post
The version of Word in Office 2008 does all the same stuff that Publisher does I believe.

It now works in two modes. Word Processing and DTP.

Cheers.
Really? Cause Word and Pub are totally different in the MS suite.

Has Office o8 fixed their bugs? I read a lot of bad things about it when it first came out.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:21 PM   #8
vanmacguy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Really? Cause Word and Pub are totally different in the MS suite.

Has Office o8 fixed their bugs? I read a lot of bad things about it when it first came out.
Agreed, that in the Windows world, Word and Publisher are different animals completely.

I'm not an expert, but at my MUG meeting just last night we had a 2 1/2 hour presentation from the Mac Office Product Lead from Microsoft taking us through Office 2008. During that time, he created a really nice looking brochure for a non-existent company and it was quick and easy.

And there are still some issues with Office 2008 for Mac, MS are aware of them (in particular long load times for Word) and are diligently working on them. I've been using it for a couple of months now and it's pretty solid. They've done some really good things with this version. If they can just speed it up a bit, I think it's a winner.

Check out a demo and see if it works for what you want.

Good luck and cheers.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:24 PM   #9
SamIchi
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmacguy View Post
Good luck and cheers.
Thanks for the info buddy.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:27 PM   #10
vanmacguy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thanks for the info buddy.
My pleasure, let me know if it works out for you.

Cheers.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:45 PM   #11
elppa
macrumors 68040

I feel that once you get used to Pages 08 it is a superior tool than both Word or Publisher. But it's designed like a Mac app, not a Windows app, so there may be a bit less of a learning curve using Word.

There are more powerful alternatives for professionals though, like InDesign.
elppa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:49 PM   #12
PeggyD
macrumors 6502a

Swift Publisher
PeggyD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2008, 07:48 AM   #13
TrickyTank
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Forgot about quark, what's an industry standard? Popular?
I thought Quark was rather standard and popular, and even quite good. I haven't actually used it myself. (no need)
At least looking on Wikipedia (although prone to error) it suggests that Quark is one of the two programs, apart from Adobe InDesign that dominate the market for what they do.
TrickyTank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2008, 08:08 AM   #14
Thorbjorn
macrumors regular

Another vote here for Swift Publisher.
Thorbjorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:02 AM   #15
ianhutch
macrumors newbie

I've used Publishing Partner on an Atari since the early 1990s and it is now Pagestream from www.pagestream.org & is a Windoze, Mac, Linux & Amiga programme. The Mac version for OSX is a stable Beta but it has very many features not on other publishers. The cross-platform ability has been very useful. It prices at about 99.
ianhutch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:47 PM   #16
dmz
macrumors regular

Another vote for Pages here, Quark and InDesign are in no way comparable to any of the programs referred to here - they both cost close to $1000, and are designed for professional publishing experts. I think Pages has a much faster learning curve than trying to do the same things in Word - sure, an MS employee who has rehearsed the demo a hundred times makes it look easy - it isn't. By the way, Word has no such DTP/WP split - Pages does.

dmz
dmz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:53 PM   #17
Linnie
macrumors newbie

Microsoft Publisher

I just recently switched to a Mac from a PC and cannot open my Microsoft Publisher files!! Any help? I am an artist and have designed most of my brochures, resumes, and certificates in either Indesign, Illustrator, or Publisher. I can buy Adobe products for Mac (ouch!!) but I don't know of anything that will open my publisher docs? Help.......
Linnie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:03 PM   #18
coops
macrumors regular

Pages can't even cope with having mixed portrait and landscape pages in one document, so i don't imagine it would be of any use at all for publishing.
coops is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:07 PM   #19
PeggyD
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
I just recently switched to a Mac from a PC and cannot open my Microsoft Publisher files!! Any help? I am an artist and have designed most of my brochures, resumes, and certificates in either Indesign, Illustrator, or Publisher. I can buy Adobe products for Mac (ouch!!) but I don't know of anything that will open my publisher docs? Help.......
Talk to Microsoft. Nothing except Publisher can open Publisher files, period. Not on a Mac, not on a PC. Your options for running Publisher on a Mac is to use Crossover, Parallels, Fusion, etc. to run Windows Office 2007 on the Mac.

And consider moving to a better program than Publisher. Most "professional" printers look down their noses at Publisher-created files.
PeggyD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:08 PM   #20
plinden
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
... designed most of my brochures, resumes, and certificates in either Indesign, Illustrator, or Publisher. I can buy Adobe products for Mac (ouch!!) ...
I can't help you with Publisher, but contact Adobe and ask about a "cross-grade" license. If Adobe still does cross-grades, it'll be much cheaper than buying new.
plinden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 09:35 PM   #21
jeremyfouse
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to jeremyfouse
HTML emails

I am not a printer or a designer of any sort but I create html style emails in Publisher for many different reasons. I can't find a way to do this with the iWork suite or Office on Mac. Am I missing something or is this not possible? If not possible, then is there a program that I can do this in such as the Swift Publisher that a couple people posted about?

Thanks for a help. I am ready to get rid of Windows all together but I still carry one of those small Acer netbooks just to use Publisher. Please help me, ha!
jeremyfouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 01:56 PM   #22
Artist-Teacher
macrumors newbie

DTP Software

I have used DTP programs such as PageMaker, Quark, and InDesign professionally. I currently have Word 2004 for Mac. Trying to do anything in Word I find myself extremely frustrated wanting the program to do more and more easily like the DTP programs. As it stands now, I would discourage anyone using Word as a layout program however, it is great as a word processor. Quark is easy to use, I started using it a day I had to create a full page add for a auto dealership and learn the program at the same time with no training. I was able to easily manipulate the items and have the program do what I needed it to do. After over 20 yrs working with it, and programs such as Illustrator and Photoshop, I find myself after 6 years dabbling in Word off and on, on the Mac, a pain. I am not familiar with Office 2008 nor the version of Publisher suggested. For the graduate course I am taking, they just use Word and Office suite programs so I am slowly learning them but I would advise anyone that has an option to stay with Quark or InDesign. If you are an educator or student, you can get both rather cheap, comparatively.
Artist-Teacher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 02:55 PM   #23
Flyinb
macrumors member

Isn't Keynote similar?
Flyinb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 07:33 AM   #24
papabill
macrumors member

I've been using MS Publisher for the last 6 years to publish our church bulletin, and in an attempt to abandon Microsoft completely, I'm looking for a good replacement. And if possible, a FREE one. I'm extremely new to the Mac scene (running a PowerMac G4 AGP w/1 Gb memory and 10.4.11), and I'm doing my best to completely get away from PCs (and Micro$oft). I could also use a good list of (free) Mac apps to replace PC apps.
papabill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:32 AM   #25
steveoc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabill View Post
I've been using MS Publisher for the last 6 years to publish our church bulletin, and in an attempt to abandon Microsoft completely, I'm looking for a good replacement. And if possible, a FREE one. I'm extremely new to the Mac scene (running a PowerMac G4 AGP w/1 Gb memory and 10.4.11), and I'm doing my best to completely get away from PCs (and Micro$oft). I could also use a good list of (free) Mac apps to replace PC apps.
You might try Scribus a free and open source Desktop publishing program.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store