Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Apr 17, 2008, 09:39 AM   #1

Leopard assist

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has tried this program called Leopard assist (on a G4 733Mhz Quicksilver) http://leopardassist.sourceforge.net/ Basically it fools the leopard install disc and lets you install OSX Leopard onto a below spec mac. So I was would like to know if anyone has managed to get this work on the above system..

thans
127079 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:42 AM   #2
Xenn0X
macrumors regular

did not work on my 800 mhz quicksilver.
but might be due 10.5.2 retail dvd.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 02:48 AM   #3
Xapplimatic
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Xapplimatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127079 View Post
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has tried this program called Leopard assist (on a G4 733Mhz Quicksilver) http://leopardassist.sourceforge.net/ Basically it fools the leopard install disc and lets you install OSX Leopard onto a below spec mac. So I was would like to know if anyone has managed to get this work on the above system..

thans
I had luck installing it on an 800 MHz iMac G4 and a 350 MHz PowerMac G4. Reinstalling it on the 800 MHz iMac G4 didn't work after the system was hosed by the combination of Safari 4 beta and GLIMS plug-in to unbootability. It's a hit-or-miss thing. The author isn't responsive it seems to requests for help with computers that it doesn't work on, so I would advise you to find the instructions online on how to copy and modify your own Leopard installer DVD to install on machines by changing the Mhz level it checks for to something below what you're at.

Last edited by Doctor Q; Jan 9, 2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: edited quote
Xapplimatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 03:00 AM   #4
MacVidCards
macrumors 603

Easier way

http://www.tinyapps.org/docs/install...rted_macs.html
MacVidCards is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 03:44 AM   #5
grue
macrumors 65816

Why would you want to? Seriously.

It's already bad enough on machines that actually meet the minimum spec, I can't fathom why a person would want to run it on something slower.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:29 AM   #6
Jake25uk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grue View Post
Why would you want to? Seriously.

It's already bad enough on machines that actually meet the minimum spec, I can't fathom why a person would want to run it on something slower.
U can only use the new iPhone with leapord. Leapordassist did not work for me on my 777mhz g4 quicksilver so I am trying the instructions on the above link, it's currently installing, I will report back, thanks so much for this info, been trying for months to fugure out a way to do this, fingers crossed now
Jake25uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Jake25uk
macrumors newbie

Thanks for this info, it worked a treat n I can now use my I phone with iTunes! Btw, leopard assist would not work and the hack stated above would not work at first, I then formated my hard drive installing the original 10.1 disk, then upgraded to tiger, formatting again, then tried the firmware hack n installed leopard whilst disconnected to my modem, this worked, hope this is of help to anyone else trying.
Jake25uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:34 AM   #8
HERHERHER
macrumors newbie

When i bought my mac, the iMac desktop normal (one before 2012 model) it came with leopard discs and I updated my friends powerpc G4 to tiger then when I tried to install leopard (using the discs that came with my mac), it didn't work, it said you cannot install this version of mac os x. So I searched it up and it said that there is a check for 867mhz+ or something like that so i checked my friends and its 937mhz or something around that so I installed the leopardassist anyway and it stlll didn't work, I tried in about 4 different ways. Any help? Do I need a pirated disc for it to work? Is there a version of leopard for the powerPC and a different one for the one before 2012 model?
HERHERHER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:46 PM   #9
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERHERHER View Post
When i bought my mac, the iMac desktop normal (one before 2012 model) it came with leopard discs and I updated my friends powerpc G4 to tiger then when I tried to install leopard (using the discs that came with my mac), it didn't work, it said you cannot install this version of mac os x. So I searched it up and it said that there is a check for 867mhz+ or something like that so i checked my friends and its 937mhz or something around that so I installed the leopardassist anyway and it stlll didn't work, I tried in about 4 different ways. Any help? Do I need a pirated disc for it to work? Is there a version of leopard for the powerPC and a different one for the one before 2012 model?
This is a 4-year old thread that was posted to the wrong forum. If you have G4 questions you'll get a lot more help in the right forum:
http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:17 PM   #10
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERHERHER View Post
You need retail Leopard disk's which are seriously expensive..

I done know if I'd even want to run Leopard on anything less than a 1Ghz, and 1GB of RAM..Tiger is awesome stay with it.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro