Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch > iPod touch Hacks

Old Apr 29, 2008, 08:19 PM   #1
tbluhp
macrumors 6502a

How to change MAC address

How do you do that simple and quick?

My iPod currently has no internet cause of it.
tbluhp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:12 AM   #2
andybno1
macrumors 68040

how do you know its because you have no mac address?

also how do you know u have no mac address?
andybno1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:44 AM   #3
henchosbandito
macrumors member

Thumbs up

im almost certain this wont be because you have no mac address. I would also like to second the above comment: how do you know you have no mac address. There is a wifi address found in Settings>>General>>About but no mac address. The most likely cause is an IP conflict with your router. Your best bet will be to set a static IP address on your router and then manually inputting the information in the static settings under your network settings on your ipod
Hope it helps
henchosbandito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:26 AM   #4
ranwanimator
macrumors newbie

It is not possible to change a MAC address on any internet enabled device. It is hard coded into the chip that provides the connectivity. This is to ensure having a completely unique identifier. TCP/IP would not work without this simple rule (there are lots of other simple rules, this just happens to be one of them).

Now.. if to what you are referring is a lack of IP address that's something completely different.

Peace

P.s. the WiFi address is the mac address. I know this because it's what I have to put in my router for strict mac address allow.

Last edited by ranwanimator; Apr 30, 2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added Ps
ranwanimator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:31 AM   #5
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranwanimator View Post
It is not possible to change a MAC address on any internet enabled device.
Go ahead and believe this if you want.

FYI, if you know what you are doing, it is easy to spoof a MAC address on many devices.
sushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:36 PM   #6
Shadowriver
macrumors member

Yes, you can't change MAC of the device ;> but still software sends that MAC, and if system/application can edit with lowest-level of packets it can change MAC in progress, and other device according to TCP/IP - Ethernet specification will think it's a true MAC of the device. Simply specification don't expect that MAC can be fake, it's a security hole in specification.
Old May 6, 2008, 02:22 PM   #7
naraic
macrumors member

Install Cydia. (google it, its an alternative to installer.app which uses apt-get like on linux)
There's a package in the Cydia repositories called StealthMac, this allows you to set a different mac address at boot.
I'm afraid i can't check this for you since i'm running 2.0fw on my iPot at the moment, but if you google the package name you should find instructions i'd say...
naraic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch > iPod touch Hacks