Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old May 9, 2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Sir Tony
macrumors member

Hi, I have a noob question about audio interfaces.

I have starting mixing a little bit on my iMac. I just picked up a pair of M-Audio BX5a's. I am currently running them out of the audio out with a y splitter (yuck I know!). I am looking for an inexpensive audio interface with 1/4 outputs. I really do not need any midi inputs and such right now, but wouldn't mind having them for the future. What are my options?

Thanks!
Old May 10, 2008, 06:24 AM   #2
WinterMute
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to WinterMute Send a message via MSN to WinterMute
The Griffiin iMic is a solid and cheap interface, it doesn't have 1/4" outs, but has a 1/8" stereo to Phono adapter.

It is significantly better than the native output, without spending serious wedge.
WinterMute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 06:59 AM   #3
BCains
macrumors regular

Will you be doing any recording...? the below options include xlr & 1/4" inputs.

Apogee Duet - $495
2x XLR 24-bit/96kHz with phantom power
2x 1/4" Line Inputs
2x 1/4" Line Out (speakers)
Headphone

PreSonus FireBox - $300
2x XLR at 24-bit/96kHz with phantom power
2x 1/4" On back panel
6x 1/4" Line Outs (speakers)
MIDI I/O
Headphone

M-Audio FireWire Solo - $165
1x XLR 24-bit/96kHz with phantom power
2x 1/4" Line Input
2x 1/4" Line Outs (speakers)
Heaphone
BCains is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 10:56 AM   #4
Sir Tony
macrumors member

I went ahead and purchased a Behringer UCA202 USB audio interface for $30. I read some reviews on it and found that it is much better than the iMac internal sound card and I have a little bit more control over it. I am looking to upgrade in the future but this should work in the meantime. Thank you for your help!
Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:35 AM   #5
Wakakanada
macrumors regular

How did it work out?

Hi, I'm thinking about picking up a UCA202 by Behringer, and was wondering how your purchase worked out.
Wakakanada is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 01:50 PM   #6
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakakanada View Post
Hi, I'm thinking about picking up a UCA202 by Behringer, and was wondering how your purchase worked out.
Maybe it is OK for your use but Behringer has a reputation for not making the best gear. Their stuff is mostly low end but a decent value for what it is. But if that is what you need then it's a bargin.

I bought a Behringer mixer. It is certainly not good enough to record with but All I wanted it for was to mix iPod with my Roland keyboard to run into headphones for practice. The Behringer unit was 1/2 the price of a good pro level mixer.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 04:30 PM   #7
Wakakanada
macrumors regular

Thanks ChrisA. I just want a glorified toy to try out low quality recording with Garageband. If I ever got into serious recording where sound quality mattered I'd upgrade. Sounds like your basically saying, "you get what you paid for" which is what I'm after [and not paying a lot ]
Wakakanada is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 01:13 PM   #8
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Maybe it is OK for your use but Behringer has a reputation for not making the best gear. Their stuff is mostly low end but a decent value for what it is. But if that is what you need then it's a bargin.

I bought a Behringer mixer. It is certainly not good enough to record with but All I wanted it for was to mix iPod with my Roland keyboard to run into headphones for practice. The Behringer unit was 1/2 the price of a good pro level mixer.
the preamps on those Behringer mixers are surprisingly good for their price though

I used them to record vocals through them when I was on a budget. I still carry around a cheap 4 track Behringer for sessions and I know a few club DJ's who use them in their setups

Behringer audio interfaces though, I don't know anyone who uses them. I didn't even know they made interfaces

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio