Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11, 2008, 10:10 PM   #1
MacBookProJoe
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle, Warshington
Manual fan control utility??

Does anyone know of a manual fan control utility? Id like to have better control of my cooling....


Thanks.


Tom
__________________
My Stuff:
MBP/15"/2.5GHz/4GB/250GB/
160GB iPod/80GB iPod/8GB Nano/4GB Nano
MacBookProJoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 10:14 PM   #2
ucsdmac
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBookProJoe View Post
Does anyone know of a manual fan control utility? Id like to have better control of my cooling....


Thanks.


Tom
smcfancontrol
__________________
Macbook Pro Penryn 2.4GHz 4GB
Retina Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB
iphone 5 16GB
ucsdmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 10:14 PM   #3
creator2456
macrumors 68000
 
creator2456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
smcFanControl

...dang...beat by seconds
__________________
I have stuff...but I am also lazy.
Buy some of my stuff!!!
creator2456 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 11:01 PM   #4
MacBookProJoe
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle, Warshington
Ask and you shall receive. Thanks guys.

Love having manual control.
__________________
My Stuff:
MBP/15"/2.5GHz/4GB/250GB/
160GB iPod/80GB iPod/8GB Nano/4GB Nano
MacBookProJoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 03:16 AM   #5
creator2456
macrumors 68000
 
creator2456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBookProJoe View Post
Ask and you shall receive.
Welcome. I have been using smc since early v.1 and have had no problems other than a memory leak in a v.2.x release that was fixed the next day.

Also, I created presets for 1500, 3000, 4500, and 6000 rpm. Don't use 6000 much, but it's nice to have 4 distinguished steps for cooling effectiveness/quickness.
__________________
I have stuff...but I am also lazy.
Buy some of my stuff!!!
creator2456 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 05:24 AM   #6
Kaupa
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
http://www.macuser.de/forum/showthre...ht=fan+control

Have a look at that one. You can set lower rpm, and lower and upper temperatur limits at which the rpm starts faster and hit full speed.
Works fine for me...
Kaupa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 07:22 AM   #7
MacBookProJoe
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle, Warshington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaupa View Post
http://www.macuser.de/forum/showthre...ht=fan+control

Have a look at that one. You can set lower rpm, and lower and upper temperatur limits at which the rpm starts faster and hit full speed.
Works fine for me...

Well thats just great! I followed your link and down loaded your suggestion. I unzipped it and now I dont know where the damn thing is! I cant find it! Can you offer hints as to where this darn thing is? And what its called?
__________________
My Stuff:
MBP/15"/2.5GHz/4GB/250GB/
160GB iPod/80GB iPod/8GB Nano/4GB Nano
MacBookProJoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 07:45 AM   #8
Kaupa
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Yes, sorry.
It is within the system preferences...
Before using it you have to reboot and repair rights...
Kaupa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 07:48 AM   #9
MacBookProJoe
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle, Warshington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaupa View Post
Yes, sorry.
It is within the system preferences...
Before using it you have to reboot and repair rights...

Well, Im not having good luck with this one. I dont like it as well as the first offering in this thread. Can you help as to how I can remove it from the system?
__________________
My Stuff:
MBP/15"/2.5GHz/4GB/250GB/
160GB iPod/80GB iPod/8GB Nano/4GB Nano
MacBookProJoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 08:05 AM   #10
MacBookProJoe
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle, Warshington
Ok, Im sorry for being such a putz. Here's my problem. I originally installed SMC fan control and it worked GREAT! Then while screwing around I threw it into the trash. Then I tried that other control from the German site and I didnt care for it. So, I through that into the trash rebooted and then reinstalled SMC. the trouble is it isnt responding well like it did before. Before it would adjust to temperatures. Now I try and set my own and they arent working. I try and set for example, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 6000 etc etc. Before I could do it, now it wont.

Im frustrated and lost damn it. Serves me right for leaving the Mac 15 years ago.


Tom
__________________
My Stuff:
MBP/15"/2.5GHz/4GB/250GB/
160GB iPod/80GB iPod/8GB Nano/4GB Nano
MacBookProJoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 08:29 AM   #11
Kaupa
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Hello,
maybe you got the wrong version? For leopard you need the 1,21.
What was wrong with that app?


ps
to uninstall the fan control:
Uninstall Instructions


1. Remove the following files and folders (both on your start disk):

/Library/StartupItems/FanControlDaemon
/Library/PreferencePanes/Fan Control.prefPane

(You will be prompted for the Administrator's password when deleting these items.)
2. Reboot
3. If you have a newer Mac model (i.e. with Core 2 Duo), use the utility smcFanControl http://www.conscius.de/~eidac/files/...8a52bae5fdc-16. html to reset all settings to Apple's defaults.
4. Reboot again.
Kaupa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 10:26 AM   #12
iLLucionist
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBookProJoe View Post
Ok, Im sorry for being such a putz. Here's my problem. I originally installed SMC fan control and it worked GREAT! Then while screwing around I threw it into the trash. Then I tried that other control from the German site and I didnt care for it. So, I through that into the trash rebooted and then reinstalled SMC. the trouble is it isnt responding well like it did before. Before it would adjust to temperatures. Now I try and set my own and they arent working. I try and set for example, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 6000 etc etc. Before I could do it, now it wont.

Im frustrated and lost damn it. Serves me right for leaving the Mac 15 years ago.


Tom
Do what Kaupa says + you HAVE TO reset the SMC. SMC is the System Management Controller, which forms the bridge between hardware and software, and also controlling the fans.

1. Shutdown.
2. Remove Battery + Adapter
3. Hold Power Button for 5 seconds.
4. Put everything back in.
5. Boot the mac and everything is fine again. The SMC has been reset the factory defaults have control again.
iLLucionist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 12:27 PM   #13
creator2456
macrumors 68000
 
creator2456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
I never liked Fan Control for the very reason you are having trouble. It is more intrusive than smcFanControl and has caused more problems (that I have seen) when people update or uninstall it.

The others have provided the steps to resolve the situation, so I won't repeat.
__________________
I have stuff...but I am also lazy.
Buy some of my stuff!!!
creator2456 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 04:40 PM   #14
MacBookProJoe
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle, Warshington
Thank you all for the help. That link didnt work. Ill try everything else. Im learning the Mac world again and that is good.


Tom
__________________
My Stuff:
MBP/15"/2.5GHz/4GB/250GB/
160GB iPod/80GB iPod/8GB Nano/4GB Nano
MacBookProJoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 06:34 AM   #15
iLLucionist
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by creator2456 View Post
I never liked Fan Control for the very reason you are having trouble. It is more intrusive than smcFanControl and has caused more problems (that I have seen) when people update or uninstall it.

The others have provided the steps to resolve the situation, so I won't repeat.
You are SO right. I even read some posts elsewhere that Fan Control actually *broke* their SMC... don't know if it's right. But I used it once and will never use it again... my mbp was quite messed up afterwards.
iLLucionist is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Auto brightness vs manual control jcorbin iOS 7 33 Jan 29, 2014 03:55 PM
manual fan speed rMBP, hurtful? Davidud MacBook Pro 10 Sep 8, 2013 12:49 AM
Fan control Marvin16 Mac mini 2 Aug 31, 2013 12:51 PM
Looking for fan control app that can automatically adjust fan speeds? thomas223 iMac 12 Oct 7, 2012 08:51 PM
SMC Fan control Mirari Mac Applications and Mac App Store 6 Jul 18, 2012 04:22 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC