Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old May 18, 2008, 07:10 PM   #1
wedge234
macrumors member

cannot log in to mac mini

Bear with me on this, I'm asking on behalf of my mother, who's Rev. A mac mini is having issues. She says that she had her computer on and the power went out for a few minutes. After the power came back on, she said that her computer booted up fine, but she cannot login. I tried talking her through a safe mode boot and a PRAM reset (but I'm not even sure if she did those properly, to be honest), and no dice on either option. Does anybody have any sort of ideas on what I can tell her to try? On all occasions there was no delay during the bootup process.
wedge234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Analog Kid
macrumors 68030

Try booting from the install CD and choosing "reset password" from one of the menus. I can't remember where it is.

Warn her *not* to reinstall just yet-- the reset password item is available before going through the install process.
Old May 18, 2008, 07:19 PM   #3
wedge234
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Kid View Post
Try booting from the install CD and choosing "reset password" from one of the menus. I can't remember where it is.

Warn her *not* to reinstall just yet-- the reset password item is available before going through the install process.
Thanks. I just talked to her about it, and she doesn't have the CD. Is there any possible way to reset a password without the CD (It just can't be simple, can it?)?
wedge234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini