Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old May 20, 2008, 10:57 PM   #1
pianoman1976
macrumors newbie

User Accounts & Permissions

Hello,

I am unable to change certain permissions on a folder "WikiServer" (/Library/Application Support/Apple). There is a user listed, "(unknown)" who has full control. I am unable to do anything with this user on this folder despite me taking ownership, giving myself full control, and unlocking the folder.

Who/what is this user? Can I query a list of all non-system users? I only have my account (admin) and a guest account (disabled) on this system. I've noticed an additional user "Wheel" on a number of folders. Is this a system thing? I don't believe so because she shows up wherever Mickey Mouse stuff is going on.

Also when running Disk Utility, even form a direct boot from CD, I am unable repair permissions on a number of folders. If booting from a CD does not allow me full control, what does? I thought a CD boot was a fail safe in this regard.

Please advise. Thanks.
pianoman1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 07:32 AM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Mac OS X doesn't show you all the users and groups on the system, from the Finder by default. The wheel group has been around for a long time - its existence originates from BSD, which Mac OS X is derived from. You can use the Terminal to query the system about a folder's permissions, if you know which commands to use. The command you need in this case is this:
Code:
ls -l /Library/Application\ Support/Apple/WikiServer/

Last edited by wrldwzrd89; May 21, 2008 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Command was wrong
wrldwzrd89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 03:43 PM   #3
pianoman1976
macrumors newbie

User "Wheel" appears to be capable of malicious intrusion. What are your thought on this? What are your thoughts on this "unknown" user that I cannot remove from this folder's permissions? What is wikiserver?

Finally, how do I fix my system to get back my original permissions, as the disk utility from CD boot does not work. Are there root settings somewhere that are preventing this? Do I need to return this computer to the Apple Store?

Thank you.
Old May 21, 2008, 07:18 PM   #4
pianoman1976
macrumors newbie

Here is what Terminal returns for the WikiServer folder:

total 0
drwxrwxr-x+ 4 _teamsserver _teamsserver 136 May 20 02:28 Japanese.lproj
drwxrwxr-x+ 4 _teamsserver _teamsserver 136 May 20 02:27 de.lproj
drwxrwxr-x+ 4 _teamsserver _teamsserver 136 May 20 02:28 fr.lproj

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X