Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jscherbel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Here's my situation. I have a home office and for work I need to use their laptop which is Windows XP.

I have the nice iMac now (learning it) and would like to use remote desktop or VNC to see the Windows box. Basically, have everything on my 24" iMac screen. I cannot use VMWare or Bootcamp as I need to work off of my work's hardware.

I can use MS's Remote Desktop for Mac to get access to any other PC on my home network but I cannot get it to work on the work laptop - I've tried IP connection, name, name minus domain, etc.. I assume this is because the work laptop is on a domain whereas my other PCs at home are all in the same workgroup or something.

Anyway, I've tried VNC, screen sharing, RD... what else can I try? Remote desktop is ENABLED on the work PC.

I do apologize if this is the incorrect forum for this question. ANY help is appreciated.

kellyl

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
Check your firewall...

Have you checked your firewall settings in XP for your work laptop? If you are running the XP firewall, go to the Windows Firewall applet in the Control Panel and click on the "Exceptions" tab; you should see a checkbox for "Remote Desktop"... make sure it has a check mark.

The fact that your laptop is a member of a Windows domain should have nothing to do with whether or not you can rdp to it. Just make sure that your local user on that PC is a member of the Administrators group or the Remote Desktop Users group.

Good luck!

JNB

macrumors 604
What is your work PC's IP? Specifically, the first octet. If if begins with 10, 192, 172, then it's on a non-routable private network, and you'll need to VPN in first. You have to work with your IT department for VPN profile info.

If it's anything else, then you can Remote Desktop into it using MS Remote Desktop Client for Mac (free), and enter either the specific IP address or the fully qualified domain name. Make sure the work PC is configured to allow incoming remote connections.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
i would suggest a web-based program. such as Logmein.com

its basically the same thing, except web based... it installs a server on the work PC, then you remote into it via the internet. i use it quite alot.

another option, would be to install a program such as TightVNC. this installs a server on your computer, then you can go into your remote client (supplied with TightVNC) or use apples own remote desktop if you have it.
using this option, however, i dont know how to figure out how to get the correct IP.

jscherbel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Thank you for this feedback. Awesome that a mac forum can give me windows advice ;)

I actually used the software recommendation in this thread and am at least up for now.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/490176/

I would like to get RDC working instead but I continue to fight that battle. Firewall wasn't enabled - said something about a group setup so I couldn't change anything. The IP is a 192. for both my local network and the VPN'd network so... not sure there.

I tried VNC as well and couldn't get it to work. I'm sure it's something to do with IPs or computer names I just don't know what it is.

Anyway, thanks again and if I figure it out I'll let you know. If you have any other recommendations, please let me know. For now, teamviewer works :)

higgalls

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2008
The IP is a 192. for both my local network and the VPN'd network so... not sure there.

I tried VNC as well and couldn't get it to work. I'm sure it's something to do with IPs or computer names I just don't know what it is.

Anyway, thanks again and if I figure it out I'll let you know. If you have any other recommendations, please let me know. For now, teamviewer works :)

Hi,

Does this mean you are trying to connect to an IP address starting with 192.??? If so, you won't be able to do that. You need to put in the external IP address (the IP address given to the modem/router from the ISP), and then in the router you will need to have port-forwards set up to allow the connection through to the right server.

It may also be that you need to change the RDP Port number on the laptop you cannot get to. Just do a google for something like "change RDP Port number". It is easy to do (simple registry edit), and then you can connect to it using the ip address then a colon sign, and then the new port number you specified. So for example 144.122.122.122:5021

Let me know how you go (I used to be a Windows Systems Engineer - so looked after computer networks).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Chris

kellyl

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
Another thing to check...

You didn't mention where this XP laptop is located when you're trying to connect to it... is it at your place of work... or is it sitting in another room in your house?

Anyway, I forgot to mention that if it is at work, you should check your Power Options in the control panel and make sure that your PC isn't sleeping or hibernating when you're trying to connect to it. You should use the "Always On" power scheme if you want to be able to connect to it remotely from home.

jscherbel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Both machines (mac and work PC) are on the same network - in my home office. Granted, the work PC is subsequently VPN'd in to the office network but it doesn't seem to matter whether that's on or off.

As for the teamviewer app, apparently the personal version (FREE) disconnects on a timer!? Hrmm... I'd really like to get RDC working.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Both machines (mac and work PC) are on the same network - in my home office. Granted, the work PC is subsequently VPN'd in to the office network but it doesn't seem to matter whether that's on or off.

As for the teamviewer app, apparently the personal version (FREE) disconnects on a timer!? Hrmm... I'd really like to get RDC working.

the only way i can see RDC working is if u talk to the admins n ask them 4 permission. that way you could ensure that it works properly and keeps it as secure as possible.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
the only way i can see RDC working is if u talk to the admins n ask them 4 permission. that way you could ensure that it works properly and keeps it as secure as possible.

I agree. Sounds to me like the OP has some firewall configuration that he cannot change. OP, Are you running Norton? or some other third party firewall?

jscherbel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2008
THanks all. I think you got me in the right direction.

After wasting hours trying things, turns out my work laptop has an application called OfficeScan installed on it. I chalked it up to just being an antivirus but after trying telnet tests and logging windows firewall items to a file, realized that something between my home router and before the Windows firewall is blocking this.

Turns out the OfficeScan app had a firewall configured which is locked down by our sys admins. They have it setup to only allow RD from within the various offices, not at home.

Thanks again to all of you!! Happy to be Mac'n now :)

jscherbel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2008
No kidding. :)

So here's a question... I cannot SSH from my MAC to the WORK PC due to firewall. But I can SSH from the WORK PC to the MAC.

Anyone know how I do this and setup a tunnel so that a call to MAC (localhost) RD port will forward through the tunnel to the Windows RD port?

I think it's 3389.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
No kidding. :)

So here's a question... I cannot SSH from my MAC to the WORK PC due to firewall. But I can SSH from the WORK PC to the MAC.

Anyone know how I do this and setup a tunnel so that a call to MAC (localhost) RD port will forward through the tunnel to the Windows RD port?

I think it's 3389.

thats a tricky one, maybe you could set up the connection from work.. but because they are only allowing outgoing traffic i doubt that anything would be let in.

would talking to the networking admins be feasible? or will they just get angry bceause theyr power hungry haha??

nanvinnie

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2007
Work PC to Home Mac

I sort of got lost in this thread, but I'm trying to connect to my mac from work. Is there a way to do that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.