Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hutchison Telecommunications Limited announced that the iPhone would be coming to Hong Kong and Macau later this year.
Hong Kong and Macau, 29th May 2008 - Hutchison Telecommunications Limited today announced that it has signed an agreement with Apple to bring the iPhone to Hong Kong and Macau later this year.
No other details as has been typical for these international iPhone announcements.

Article Link

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Oh goodie, this is exactly what the doctor ordered. Good bye Australia, I'll now be buying my new iPhone in Hong Kong, without the GST and other high costs associated with Australia.

Awesome news!

matthewlesh

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
Oh goodie, this is exactly what the doctor ordered. Good bye Australia, I'll now be buying my new iPhone in Hong Kong, without the GST and other high costs associated with Australia.

Awesome news!

Lol.. Yes.. me to. I guess they'll pop up on ebay like flies.. or just new time i'm up that way.

un3creation

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
yeah....good to you guys....not so good people in Hong Kong

To be fair, I am totally disappointed on this agreement.

3HK has no taste at all....
especially on how they treat their customers...
the network quality...and how they deal with problems...

I mean ...think about it....
what if the UK's sole iPhone operator be 3UK? will you guys happy?
or shall i just say....
is there any 3 has got the contract for iPhone in other place?
come on....it is certainly not a good news for local people...
This time...apple's choice is so poor ....they have chosen the worst one...in HK.

LionsKiss

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2006
HK
I am on SmarTone-Vodafone in HK so not the best news. But hopefully 3 in HK will be selling it unlocked. Well if they are not, the prices of unlocked phones in HK of iphone 2 should be more reasonable. Assuming that the locking mechanism has not improved.

ptlnfc

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
I hope they'd sell the iphone just like other mobiles -- without being locked to a certain network.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Obviously I'm counting on the iPhone being sold at a slightly pricier unlocked rate. I wouldn't buy it tied to a particular provider as I travel a lot and do not roam, I switch SIM cards.

And I'm with People's in HK and it's crap where I am. China Mobile generally screws me with their coverage taking over my area and I get done for roaming.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Well this is just getting ridiculous. I think the question is now who ISN'T getting the iPhone!

Canadians. :(

Once we see the rates, it will probably be the same as not getting it, anyway. Not to mention that Rogers has zero coverage for my area.

watergun

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
Darn, I am too disappointed with Apple's choice for HK network provider. CSL and Smartone-Vodafone both are much better than 3. $$$ over quality, I guess. :D The good news though is that iPhone is finally here...officially LOL...

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Great news! Thats a huge market and I hope they do well over there.

ptlnfc

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
it's legally, but not officially there. so i think it would be more appropriate to call it 'grey market' instead of 'black market'.

nikiski

macrumors regular
To be fair, Smartone-Vodafone has the best coverage (number of cell towers). I don't think 3 even comes close.

I would prefer PCCW though. I'm with them at the moment. Actually, my whole family is on PCCW. At least PCCW don't put a "3" or "Smartone" logo on their phones.

3HK has to be the most stupid choice in Hong Kong, very bad call quality on their 3G network, thanks to their Japanese partner NTT DoCoMo, they are using some early adapter backbone equipments and that just made you feel like you are talking to someone "underwater" most of the time.

Thank You, Mr. Lee

by the way, if Smartone is not going to carry iPhone in the near future, I am going to get that fancy HTC Touch Diamond instead and say no to Mr. Lee

hene01

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
I am moving to hong kong in august and planning on getting an iphone from there, if it is possible to get it without being locked to any particular service provider. Anyone from HK who can make any educated guess if it will be locked to the service provider who is going to have the rights to it, or will it work with all service providers(without being hacked).

thanks in advance.

I am moving to hong kong in august and planning on getting an iphone from there, if it is possible to get it without being locked to any particular service provider. Anyone from HK who can make any educated guess if it will be locked to the service provider who is going to have the rights to it, or will it work with all service providers(without being hacked).

thanks in advance.

Normally handsets sold by the carriers here in Hong Kong are locked, but from time to time there are models that are not, no one know until it release

naashraf

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
Normally handsets sold by the carriers here in Hong Kong are locked, but from time to time there are models that are not, no one know until it release

I do not think your statement is right here. I live here and have used all of the service providers in last 10 years. I have been into contracts and non-contracts. The thing is the phone itself is NOT locked to any SIM or network however, you are tied to a contract that you have to fulfill. So you can continue the contract with say, Smartone-Vodafone and yet insert PCCW SIM.

You will need to keep paying Smartone-Vodafone for the contract period.

Also, mostly you pay the full price of the phone and if you are under a contract you will be paid back say around US$5~7 each month. This is the benefit of the contract here.

Of course you can buy ANY phone without any contract and service provider will not give you any monthly pay-back.

I am with PEOPLES and I agree their service is not very good. But they have the cheapest international rates and the only provider with EDGE in Hong Kong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.