Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I do not think your statement is right here. I live here and have used all of the service providers in last 10 years. I have been into contracts and non-contracts. The thing is the phone itself is NOT locked to any SIM or network however, you are tied to a contract that you have to fulfill. So you can continue the contract with say, Smartone-Vodafone and yet insert PCCW SIM.

You will need to keep paying Smartone-Vodafone for the contract period.

I am with PEOPLES and I agree their service is not very good. But they have the cheapest international rates and the only provider with EDGE in Hong Kong.

I would imagine you can buy out the contract if you wanted to as well.
So 3HK does not do edge at all? that means it is definitely 3G, otherwise why would hutchinson announce it?. it also means that 3 in Australia (hutchinson) doesn't have the iphone. Bummer.

kerolau

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2005
Hong Kong
Smartone is the best in coverage, but it usually bundles its high-end phone with high-end plan. PCCW and 3HK networks are bad in quality. But I think once there is officially unlocked product in HK, we are possible to buy in big electronics stores regardless the network.

BTW, 3HK also has 2G network, it does not necessarily mean the machine is 3G iPhone.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I am very very very disappointed with this decision.
I would have thought 1010 would be the main service provider because 1010 is the premium service provider in Hong Kong.

Most likely I'm going to get an iphone in the States, and jailbreak it.
Very disappointing indeed.

naashraf

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
I would imagine you can buy out the contract if you wanted to as well.
So 3HK does not do edge at all? that means it is definitely 3G, otherwise why would hutchinson announce it?. it also means that 3 in Australia (hutchinson) doesn't have the iphone. Bummer.

You will have to pay the monthly fee for the remaining period plus early termination handling fee.

Yes, 3HK does not do the EDGE. In Hong Kong only PEOPLES have EDGE all others have GPRS or 3G.

naashraf

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
I am very very very disappointed with this decision.
I would have thought 1010 would be the main service provider because 1010 is the premium service provider in Hong Kong.

May be you have a very high salary so can afford the 1010 services for anything else than voice minutes. Voice minutes are damn cheap here in almost every service provider. But 1010 just rips you off in services other than voice. It is THE MOST expensive provider in Hong Kong.

But I do agree their reception is very best. I used to get signal even in elevators.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
May be you have a very high salary so can afford the 1010 services for anything else than voice minutes. Voice minutes are damn cheap here in almost every service provider. But 1010 just rips you off in services other than voice. It is THE MOST expensive provider in Hong Kong.

But I do agree their reception is very best. I used to get signal even in elevators.

I don't lol
I'm still a student.
But the point is, I thought Apple would have chose the more premium carrier. (Like in the states, AT&T/Cingular is the better provider VS T-mobile or Verizon)

LionsKiss

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2006
HK
There is no word on that it will be locked yet, so all you have to do is go via 3 in HK to buy it and get your sim card in the phone.

icecone

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
I don't lol
I'm still a student.
But the point is, I thought Apple would have chose the more premium carrier. (Like in the states, AT&T/Cingular is the better provider VS T-mobile or Verizon)

would the "premium carriers" accept sharing their profits with :apple:? :rolleyes:
and i'd say AT&T is worse than t-mobile and verizon in the US.

atropos

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2003
Ottawa, ON; Alhambra, CA
ATT is good?? First time I heard..... Apple also sign with Rogers in Canada, in fact customer always get pissed of by Rogers..... also iPhone won't be single carrier in each country( thats what Steve said.. and thats company normally do); on the bottom line, is all about business, if 3 offer a good deal to Apple, Apple sign with them, nothing wrong with it rite?

un3creation

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
ATT is good?? First time I heard..... Apple also sign with Rogers in Canada, in fact customer always get pissed of by Rogers..... also iPhone won't be single carrier in each country( thats what Steve said.. and thats company normally do); on the bottom line, is all about business, if 3 offer a good deal to Apple, Apple sign with them, nothing wrong with it rite?

yeah u a rite...business only...
but may i point out that.....if...just if..
if the operator got the iPhone locked...and exclusive in HK....
and they do even has a hobbies of putting their brand logo on the phone ...

would you start to worry the sale overall in Hong Kong?

People here in Hong Kong dun really get headset subsides heavily by mobile operators as other place.... the price tag of iPhone is not a problem at all...
as some people usually change their phone once a year....
And the contract usually get a "good" price on tariff...

Generally...the "lock" culture is not popular in Hong Kong...if they imply the old rule....this would hurt the sales even further...

The good news is the SCMP claimed that....there might be other operator in talk with Apple...as the talk is "easier" than before as their source told SCMP.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
^
That may be good news
I really want to buy the phone here and be able to use it back in the states as well.

jimmychef

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2008
What is the point???

at the moment there is no itunes store avaiable so even if we get a legitamate iPhone, we cant put any music or movies or ringtones or......

aparently asians cant be trusted not to pirate everything they touch according to apple. what a load of rubbish. Hong Kong and Macau are seen as third world countries in apples eyes. i am myself a british expat that used itunes at home for years but when i moved to Hong Kong, itunes detected that i was not in the uk anymore and blocked my account. apple basically gave me no option to buy legal online music, films etc...

im not the only disgruntled person out there and would love to hear others views!!

http://theory.isthereason.com/?p=1251

icecone

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
What is the point???

at the moment there is no itunes store avaiable so even if we get a legitamate iPhone, we cant put any music or movies or ringtones or......

aparently asians cant be trusted not to pirate everything they touch according to apple. what a load of rubbish. Hong Kong and Macau are seen as third world countries in apples eyes. i am myself a british expat that used itunes at home for years but when i moved to Hong Kong, itunes detected that i was not in the uk anymore and blocked my account. apple basically gave me no option to buy legal online music, films etc...

im not the only disgruntled person out there and would love to hear others views!!

you DON'T need itunes store to put music into your ipod
and you can buy your music from an HMV:rolleyes:

jimmychef

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2008
while i cannot fault your inciteful observations it does not detract from the fact that the main selling point is the "one stop shop" that i had access to while living in a "first world" country. perhaps it is my own fault for moving to this supposed undeveloped back water.

seriously though, HMV? is that the best you could come up with. perhaps i should dust of my diskman or bettering that my boom box... yeah!

valanchan

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2008
What is the point???

I am not sure how Apple blocked your account since mine works fine when using the British iTunes Store in HK. I use a bank account in a British Bank.

I was hoping that Apple would go with PCCW and there is a possibility that they could be a second carrier. Here's hoping.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
What is the point???

er...
I was born and raised in Hong Kong. 3 years ago, I went to the US for college and had my bank stuff set up there...I can use Itunes music store (US) from then on. I can also buy music from HK using the US itunes store when I'm not in the States.
So I dont know why Apple would "block" your account...

keisuke_7

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2004
You will have to pay the monthly fee for the remaining period plus early termination handling fee.

Yes, 3HK does not do the EDGE. In Hong Kong only PEOPLES have EDGE all others have GPRS or 3G.

actually csl also have EDGE... just to rub it in, i guess your 10 years of mobile network usage in HK didn't count for much then.... also some phones are locked in hk, why do people think that all phones are unlocked in hk??? for example, try inserting another provider's sim card into a Smartone branded blackberry... no go there...

but generally three hk is rather crap... where i live i used to get full bars of reception on Smartone and now on Three; i hardly get any reception...

2G iphone on Three HK network? don't even think about it... using it right now and it is completely *****... as 2G does not support simultaneous voice and data, people can't call me as its always in email checking mode.... why? try having around 50 emails a day and an average 11.5kbps download rate (yes GPRS data rate [in central] on 3HK is that shockingly slow.. note the lower case "kb" as in kilobits not kilobytes....).

kyen1

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
A friend of mine seems convinced that you will be able to buy (officially) the iPhone 3G unlocked for the equivalent of USD199/299. No doubt there will be unlocked phones, but officially and at the same price of the US subsidized phones? I doubt it.

I haven't actually read anything official that would confirm a contract agreement is required, although as we know, 3HK signed an agreement with Apple to bring the iPhone 3G to Hong Kong...now why would they do that unless a service contract was required??

zeasar

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
Norn Iron
If 3 do sell the iphone unlocked Im gona fly back to HK just for the sake of getting the iphone. Even if they sell it at a higher price, its gona be way cheaper then what O2 would charge.

hene01

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
buying iphone from hong kong

Is it usually possible to end an subscription in advance in Hong Kong ? Im personally moving to hong kong for a year, so i have no problem buying an iphone then and paying for it every month as long as I am there. But I don't feel like continuing to pay for it once I have left.

So, is there normally an early termination fee or something you can pay to get rid of an subscription ?

bartman-chinese

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
Hong Kong: Asia's World City
I'm not very sure but I believe Apple is selling the iPhone through other providers in HK too. My parents are both on CSL and they said that they pre-ordered the iPhone 3G throught CSL. I asked the again just to make sure and they said that they did it through CSL and not 3.

Odd, huh?

zeasar

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
Norn Iron
I'm not very sure but I believe Apple is selling the iPhone through other providers in HK too. My parents are both on CSL and they said that they pre-ordered the iPhone 3G throught CSL. I asked the again just to make sure and they said that they did it through CSL and not 3.

Odd, huh?

My friend pre-ordered and paid a deposite from 3, not too sure about CSL. Have they pay any deposite or any written comformations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.