Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)

Old Nov 27, 2003, 11:51 AM   #1
Ramsos
macrumors regular

20GB RCA LYRA Audio/Video Jukebox ?

What do you guys think of this, I want one.

Althought this is an mp3 player I don't see this as an ipod killer in anyway the ipod is and probably always will be the best portable music player. The thing I like about this is the ability to playback mp4 video and jpegs on a 3.5 inch tft screen. It has a usb 2.0 interface for connectivity to a computer (RCA say it is os X compatible) and composite inputs/outputs to record directly from a video source or you can output stored video to a tv, it has 20 gig HD that is supposed to hold up to 80 hours of mp4 content. It also has a compact flash slot. The battery is supposed to last up to 15 hours (4 hours in video mode). I saw it for $399.00 at the good guys and I'm thinking about buying it I just wonder if osx is fully supported. I really wish apple had a product like this, then I would feel comfortable about buying one.

Last edited by Ramsos; Nov 27, 2003 at 12:13 PM.
Ramsos is offline   0
Old Nov 27, 2003, 07:31 PM   #2
superbovine
macrumors 68030

Re: 20GB RCA LYRA Audio/Video Jukebox ?

I just read the stats on the rca site. what reason do you need to have mp4 playblack? the only use i see it is for digital photography, considering it can handle compact flash. it be a great way to preview audio and short video clips. the composite in and out are nice too, you could probably have it setup to have a camcorder going then recorded the composite in feed to that device. so you could have access to two portible lcd screens, one on the camera and one the device in question. it also opens up the possibility to record from camcorders composite out directly to the hard drive of the device, which cuts out the middle man of the mini dv tape. i would still wonder on the quality of recording though.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramsos
What do you guys think of this, I want one.

Althought this is an mp3 player I don't see this as an ipod killer in anyway the ipod is and probably always will be the best portable music player. The thing I like about this is the ability to playback mp4 video and jpegs on a 3.5 inch tft screen. It has a usb 2.0 interface for connectivity to a computer (RCA say it is os X compatible) and composite inputs/outputs to record directly from a video source or you can output stored video to a tv, it has 20 gig HD that is supposed to hold up to 80 hours of mp4 content. It also has a compact flash slot. The battery is supposed to last up to 15 hours (4 hours in video mode). I saw it for $399.00 at the good guys and I'm thinking about buying it I just wonder if osx is fully supported. I really wish apple had a product like this, then I would feel comfortable about buying one.
superbovine is offline   0
Old Nov 27, 2003, 11:04 PM   #3
kanker
macrumors 6502

I do have to say that of all the contenders out there, this is the first I've seen that gets the simplicity of design that makes the iPod so hip. The RCA looks minimal and clean- I think I like it.
kanker is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)