Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ramsos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2002
Oakland, California
What do you guys think of this, I want one.
rca1.jpg

Althought this is an mp3 player I don't see this as an ipod killer in anyway the ipod is and probably always will be the best portable music player. The thing I like about this is the ability to playback mp4 video and jpegs on a 3.5 inch tft screen. It has a usb 2.0 interface for connectivity to a computer (RCA say it is os X compatible) and composite inputs/outputs to record directly from a video source or you can output stored video to a tv, it has 20 gig HD that is supposed to hold up to 80 hours of mp4 content. It also has a compact flash slot. The battery is supposed to last up to 15 hours (4 hours in video mode). I saw it for $399.00 at the good guys and I'm thinking about buying it I just wonder if osx is fully supported. I really wish apple had a product like this, then I would feel comfortable about buying one.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Re: 20GB RCA LYRA Audio/Video Jukebox ?

I just read the stats on the rca site. what reason do you need to have mp4 playblack? the only use i see it is for digital photography, considering it can handle compact flash. it be a great way to preview audio and short video clips. the composite in and out are nice too, you could probably have it setup to have a camcorder going then recorded the composite in feed to that device. so you could have access to two portible lcd screens, one on the camera and one the device in question. it also opens up the possibility to record from camcorders composite out directly to the hard drive of the device, which cuts out the middle man of the mini dv tape. i would still wonder on the quality of recording though.

Originally posted by Ramsos
What do you guys think of this, I want one.
rca1.jpg

Althought this is an mp3 player I don't see this as an ipod killer in anyway the ipod is and probably always will be the best portable music player. The thing I like about this is the ability to playback mp4 video and jpegs on a 3.5 inch tft screen. It has a usb 2.0 interface for connectivity to a computer (RCA say it is os X compatible) and composite inputs/outputs to record directly from a video source or you can output stored video to a tv, it has 20 gig HD that is supposed to hold up to 80 hours of mp4 content. It also has a compact flash slot. The battery is supposed to last up to 15 hours (4 hours in video mode). I saw it for $399.00 at the good guys and I'm thinking about buying it I just wonder if osx is fully supported. I really wish apple had a product like this, then I would feel comfortable about buying one.

kanker

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
Indy
I do have to say that of all the contenders out there, this is the first I've seen that gets the simplicity of design that makes the iPod so hip. The RCA looks minimal and clean- I think I like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.