Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenyabob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2003
San Francisco
Is there a site out there that showcases cool and new sites, things to get peoples minds going about design and what not. a site similar to flashkits showcase of best flash usage?

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
there's Kaliber 10000 ...although they're a little too "designey" for me.

that probably doesn't make any sense, but in my head i know just what i mean.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
i wouldn't trust any site that relies on frames.

Can you explain why?

I had one of our web designers say something similar, and not being a web designer, I have no idea why he thinks that..

Tom

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Frames are a deprecated mode of page design among designers who wish to enhance accessibility, usability, search engine optimization, page bookmarking/linking, document management, to name a few.

They have certain advantages, but there are means of providing the same or similar functionality without having framesets (PHP/server-side includes, for example).

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
in a nutshell, frames violate the Keep It Simple, Stupid principle. which, in the world of web design, actually has a significant effect by way of site performance & rankings.

radhak

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
NJ, USA
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Frames are a deprecated mode of page design among designers who wish to enhance accessibility, usability, search engine optimization, page bookmarking/linking, document management, to name a few.

They have certain advantages, but there are means of providing the same or similar functionality without having framesets (PHP/server-side includes, for example).

can you provide some sample sites that do this (or just give such functionality without using frames)? i am personally so kludgy with design that unless i see a sample i won't get this (call it imagination-challenged).

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Like I said above, it usually requires a server side technology to combine pieces of pages to create the final page.

For instance, on my website I divvy up the page into 4 parts: header, menu, content and footer. My pages go out and assemble themselves from these parts.

I have one header file, one menu file and one footer file that all get re-used on almost every page, giving me one of the functionalities of frames (re-usable content) without a frameset.

johnhood

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2003
UK
KISS

I'd agree. Keep the site intuitive - look no further than the Mac OS GUI for inspiration!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.