Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
A USB thumb drive might be a useful thing.
(1) unlike a PDA, it doesn't have a limited number of 'partners'.
(2) it's small.
(3) interfacing is simple.

But my questions are:
(a) Does it need drivers?
(b) Does it come with them?
(c) Can I use it to transfer files between a Windows PC and a Mac?

ce242

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2003
Southampton, England
Yes you can use it to move files between a mac and a pc, I do it all the time with mine! You should not need drivers unless your PC is running an older operating system (XP does not need any drivers), but they will nearly all come with a driver CD.

Regards,

ce242

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
They're all pretty much the same...however, I personally have had good luck with Lexar. I've got a 1gb Lexar Jumpdrive that my work provides for me, and I use it to transfer files back and forth between Mac/PC all the time. Sometimes I don't know what I did without it! They're very handy.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Look in a (old) computermagazine that is testing them. Some drives work better then other drives. Some drives even do need a driver to work properly and the other works just fine. But they should all work without a driver in theory... That's why I say look in a computermagazine that has a test of them or look at a consumersguide mag/website. There was recently a test in a Mac magazine in the Netherlands were some drives did need a driver. Unfortunately I cannot find the article.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.