Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 11, 2008, 08:56 AM   #1
MadDoc
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
SDK 7 Interface Builder - Crashing All The Time

I have just installed SDK 7 (was previously running an earlier build - 4 I think).

IB keeps crashing all the time. If I open it up and create a blank application then scroll the library scroll bar I get to the datepicker object and the whole app just hangs. This has happened despite repairing permissions, completely uninstalling the dev tools and re-installing and rebooting several times.

Incidentally, if I double-click a .xib file in Xcode to launch IB it just hangs.

Is anyone else having similar problems?

MadDoc,
__________________
Figa Software | My Flickr | My Blog
11" MacBook Air i7, OSX 10.8.2
2011 Mac Mini, OSX 10.8.2
iPad 3 | iPhone 4S | Nikon D60
MadDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:28 PM   #2
meclizine50mg
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDoc View Post
I have just installed SDK 7 (was previously running an earlier build - 4 I think).

IB keeps crashing all the time. If I open it up and create a blank application then scroll the library scroll bar I get to the datepicker object and the whole app just hangs. This has happened despite repairing permissions, completely uninstalling the dev tools and re-installing and rebooting several times.

Incidentally, if I double-click a .xib file in Xcode to launch IB it just hangs.

Is anyone else having similar problems?

MadDoc,
Thanks for posting a potential problem, you prompted me to test on a different computer than one I use for developing...

However, I installed SDK7 and tried to reproduce the problem with the same steps you provided above (using IB directly and by opening a xib file) and had no problem, no freezes. I did simple stuff in IB and compiled ok, although I have not tested anything complex yet. I also ran uninstall-devtools prior to installing the update.

I tested on a Mac mini 2 GHz Core 2 duo running 10.5.3...in your signature it still lists 10.5.2...could that be the problem? The Apple developer site says you need to upgrade to 10.5.3 to run SDK 6 and 7.

Last edited by meclizine50mg; Jun 11, 2008 at 05:33 PM.
meclizine50mg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 08:41 PM   #3
lee.valentine
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
I'm having the exact same issue. Scroll down to the date picker and the application locks up.

I'm running a macbook air. I'm trying to build a Cocoa Touch application.
lee.valentine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 08:58 PM   #4
MadDoc
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Thanks for trying to reproduce the problem meclizine50mg,

I am running 10.5.3 (forgot to update my sig!) on a C2D MBP.

@lee.valentine:
Glad to see I'm not the only person with this problem. I wonder what it could be? I can't afford to reinstall my OS to try to get it to work but I am losing valuable development time

How do you file a bug report with Apple?

MadDoc,
__________________
Figa Software | My Flickr | My Blog
11" MacBook Air i7, OSX 10.8.2
2011 Mac Mini, OSX 10.8.2
iPad 3 | iPhone 4S | Nikon D60
MadDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:01 PM   #5
lee.valentine
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
I installed the developer kit from the OS X dvd the other day mainly so I could gain use to using macports. I then installed the iPhone SDK today which is when I first wanted to try using Interface Builder.

It doesn't seem to matter what I really do in Interface Builder, it just locks up.

Running a macbook air
OS X 10.5.3
lee.valentine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:38 PM   #6
MadDoc
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
I (think) i've fixed it using a tip posted on the Apple discussion boards.

Simply change your timezone in system preferences to 'Cupertino' (i.e. Apple's HQ) and the problem goes away. Seriously. Very strange.

MadDoc,
__________________
Figa Software | My Flickr | My Blog
11" MacBook Air i7, OSX 10.8.2
2011 Mac Mini, OSX 10.8.2
iPad 3 | iPhone 4S | Nikon D60
MadDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:35 AM   #7
meclizine50mg
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDoc View Post
Simply change your timezone in system preferences to 'Cupertino' (i.e. Apple's HQ) and the problem goes away. Seriously. Very strange.
Yes, very strange. I have now tested SDK7 on a Mac Mini and a MacBook air, and haven't yet experienced a freeze. However, my timezone was already set to Cupertino

I was wondering though....when I uninstalled the previous SDK prior to installing SDK7, I used the following uninstall script:

Code:
sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools
I don't know if it matters, but did you use the same?
meclizine50mg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:50 AM   #8
foidulus
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Interface builder isn't locking up per se

though if I try to access the help, it will launch XCode and then XCode will promptly freeze
foidulus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 08:09 AM   #9
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDoc View Post
I have just installed SDK 7 (was previously running an earlier build - 4 I think).

IB keeps crashing all the time. If I open it up and create a blank application then scroll the library scroll bar I get to the datepicker object and the whole app just hangs. This has happened despite repairing permissions, completely uninstalling the dev tools and re-installing and rebooting several times.

Incidentally, if I double-click a .xib file in Xcode to launch IB it just hangs.

Is anyone else having similar problems?
It is a special feature of the NDA that comes with the iPhone SDK. When the SDK notices that the recipient is likely to breach their NDA, it will do all these kinds of nasty things. After more than two posts on MacRumors in breach of the NDA it will format your hard drive.
gnasher729 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 08:44 AM   #10
foidulus
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
It is a special feature of the NDA that comes with the iPhone SDK. When the SDK notices that the recipient is likely to breach their NDA, it will do all these kinds of nasty things. After more than two posts on MacRumors in breach of the NDA it will format your hard drive.
I still don't see where you are getting all this NDA nonsense, anyone in the world can download the SDK free of charge. Its not a secret, there is no NDA, quit saying that there is!

Certain parts that are available to the devs who got accepted into Apple's special programs have access to parts(such as the app store) that are under NDA, but if all you are doing is downloading the SDK and playing with the emulator, its hardly a secret. I don't see why Apple would be upset about people helping other people develop for their device anyway. Quit telling people they aren't allowed to get help with a product Apple freely distributes to everyone in the world to help promote an Apple product and may eventually help Apple make money because of imagined NDAs.
foidulus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:13 AM   #11
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by foidulus View Post
I still don't see where you are getting all this NDA nonsense, anyone in the world can download the SDK free of charge. Its not a secret, there is no NDA, quit saying that there is!

Certain parts that are available to the devs who got accepted into Apple's special programs have access to parts(such as the app store) that are under NDA, but if all you are doing is downloading the SDK and playing with the emulator, its hardly a secret. I don't see why Apple would be upset about people helping other people develop for their device anyway. Quit telling people they aren't allowed to get help with a product Apple freely distributes to everyone in the world to help promote an Apple product and may eventually help Apple make money because of imagined NDAs.
You either didn't download the iPhone SDK, or you didn't read all the stuff in the mighty long text field above the "I agree" button. Now I don't care what kind of trouble you get yourself into, but you really really shouldn't encourage anyone else to break a legal agreement through your willful ignorance.
gnasher729 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:23 AM   #12
foidulus
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
You either didn't download the iPhone SDK, or you didn't read all the stuff in the mighty long text field above the "I agree" button. Now I don't care what kind of trouble you get yourself into, but you really really shouldn't encourage anyone else to break a legal agreement through your willful ignorance.
http://developer.apple.com/iphone/

Yeh, THAT was hard to find. And yes, I did in fact read the agreement and there is NOTHING in there that would prevent people from talking about how to debug programs or problems with interface builder.

The only thing that you aren't allowed to talk about is information that isn't accessible to the public. The stability or instability of interface builder(which isn't just for the iPhone) aint on the list. Please stop using the NDA threat against people with legitimate questions, it really stifles the conversation and distracts those of us who follow the rules and want to develop iPhone applications.
foidulus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:00 AM   #13
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by foidulus View Post
http://developer.apple.com/iphone/

Yeh, THAT was hard to find. And yes, I did in fact read the agreement and there is NOTHING in there that would prevent people from talking about how to debug programs or problems with interface builder.

The only thing that you aren't allowed to talk about is information that isn't accessible to the public. The stability or instability of interface builder(which isn't just for the iPhone) aint on the list. Please stop using the NDA threat against people with legitimate questions, it really stifles the conversation and distracts those of us who follow the rules and want to develop iPhone applications.
In case you can't get your head around it: iPhone SDK is _not_ available to the public. Everyone who clicks on "I agree" is _not_ the public anymore, but someone who has agreed to the NDA. Apple invites everyone above the age of 18 to join the club; that doesn't mean every member of the public is member of the club.

Ask yourself this: If a gazillion programmers employed by Microsoft and Nokia download the SDK, and copy everything they find into their own products, what will Apple do? Sue them for every penny these companies got. If these same programmers read something on the publicly available MacRumors page, and copy it into their own products, what can Apple do? Nothing.
gnasher729 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:19 AM   #14
foidulus
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
In case you can't get your head around it: iPhone SDK is _not_ available to the public. Everyone who clicks on "I agree" is _not_ the public anymore, but someone who has agreed to the NDA. Apple invites everyone above the age of 18 to join the club; that doesn't mean every member of the public is member of the club.

Ask yourself this: If a gazillion programmers employed by Microsoft and Nokia download the SDK, and copy everything they find into their own products, what will Apple do? Sue them for every penny these companies got. If these same programmers read something on the publicly available MacRumors page, and copy it into their own products, what can Apple do? Nothing.
According to you then Mac programmers should never be allowed to talk about anything because someone else may incorporate the ideas.....

So therefore, by that logic we shouldn't be allowed to talk about Leopard programming either because Microsoft could take ideas from that. After all, in order to join the club of Leopard programmers you have to click an "I agree" button.

Have you actually bothered reading the agreement? I have. It mentions nothing about not being allowed to discuss issues with the SDK itself or even features. You don't have to sign a thing to get access to the WWDC videos about the SDK. There are other types of intellectual property laws that cover copying ideas, NDAs are not it. Not to mention the dubious legal position that EULAs have to begin with, and no court in the land would hold up that you cannot talk about a program that is available to anyone, legally, for free, in the world.

You are obviously not a lawyer and are contributing nothing to the conversations other than spreading FUD. I kindly ask that if you have nothing to say, please stop spreading NDA nonsense. Its annoying and just plain wrong.

If you feel I am in error, please cite SPECIFIC parts of the EULA that prevent programmers from giving advice to each other, otherwise please keep quiet.
foidulus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:49 PM   #15
Kaskadura
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDoc View Post
I (think) i've fixed it using a tip posted on the Apple discussion boards.

Simply change your timezone in system preferences to 'Cupertino' (i.e. Apple's HQ) and the problem goes away. Seriously. Very strange.

MadDoc,
Thanks for the tip. I'm from Brazil and set my timezone for my hometown. I'd set as indicated and the Interface Builder stop freezing.

Realy Weird... Is that on purpose or it's just a bug?

Thanks anyway, now IB is working!
Kaskadura is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:59 PM   #16
Cromulent
macrumors 603
 
Cromulent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Land of Hope and Glory
Quote:
Originally Posted by foidulus View Post
According to you then Mac programmers should never be allowed to talk about anything because someone else may incorporate the ideas.....

So therefore, by that logic we shouldn't be allowed to talk about Leopard programming either because Microsoft could take ideas from that. After all, in order to join the club of Leopard programmers you have to click an "I agree" button.

Have you actually bothered reading the agreement? I have. It mentions nothing about not being allowed to discuss issues with the SDK itself or even features. You don't have to sign a thing to get access to the WWDC videos about the SDK. There are other types of intellectual property laws that cover copying ideas, NDAs are not it. Not to mention the dubious legal position that EULAs have to begin with, and no court in the land would hold up that you cannot talk about a program that is available to anyone, legally, for free, in the world.

You are obviously not a lawyer and are contributing nothing to the conversations other than spreading FUD. I kindly ask that if you have nothing to say, please stop spreading NDA nonsense. Its annoying and just plain wrong.

If you feel I am in error, please cite SPECIFIC parts of the EULA that prevent programmers from giving advice to each other, otherwise please keep quiet.
Whether you like it or not the iPhone SDK is under an NDA. Read section 5 of the license agreement. Particularly the part that states:

Quote:
"...or in connection with Your use of any part of the SDK will be deemed "Apple Confidential Information" under this agreement."
There is a reason why discussion of the iPhone SDK has been banned on the Apple mailing lists.
__________________
Neural Advance - Mac OS X, UNIX and Windows Development
Last.fm Profile | Extreme Metal Reviews
MP 4x 2.66Ghz Xeons / 6GB RAM / 640GB + 500GB + 750GB + 1TB HDDs / ATI Radeon 4870 / iPad 3
Cromulent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:29 AM   #17
Mac Me Up
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDoc View Post
I (think) i've fixed it using a tip posted on the Apple discussion boards.

Simply change your timezone in system preferences to 'Cupertino' (i.e. Apple's HQ) and the problem goes away. Seriously. Very strange.

MadDoc,
Wow that works. Annoying because it changes my system time, but at least it works!
Mac Me Up is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:40 AM   #18
admanimal
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
There is a reason why discussion of the iPhone SDK has been banned on the Apple mailing lists.
Yet it is allowed to continue unhindered on the Apple Developer Discussion boards.
admanimal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:22 AM   #19
eitangabay
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I have the same problem !

Did anyone solve this issue ?
changing the time zone don't work for me.

Thanks.
eitangabay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 08:00 AM   #20
hilgerph
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Resolution for other time zones

I had the problem too. Applied the resolution with Cupertino TZ, and could restart the IB. When getting back to my time zone (Rio de Janeiro), the application was hanging up again...

BUT, if you change TZ to cupertino, then choose for exemple the Cocoa Application template, then change TZ back to your place, then quit normally, things go back to normal and you can open the app again.

I think the whole discussion about NDA - yet interesting - has nothing to see with the fact we should use Cupertino as a TZ or not...

In any case, this situation seemed to happen to me after I upgrade the iPhone SDK to the iPhone 2.1 SDK...

regards,
Phil.
hilgerph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 01:52 PM   #21
Tmacfan345
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Send a message via AIM to Tmacfan345 Send a message via Skype™ to Tmacfan345
Interface builder keeps on crashing i need help

Hello everbody i have a macbook the newest one.I am starting to learn how to build applications so i bought a book and everything.Ever time i go to interface builder and i click go to tools then libary then i click on inputs and values and it crashes.WHat do i do please help!!!!

Thank you
Tmacfan345 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interface Builder WTF. SolarShane Mac Programming 2 Mar 12, 2014 02:38 AM
Resolved: Can't move objects in Interface Builder moonman239 iPhone/iPad Programming 0 Jan 13, 2014 07:14 PM
Pashua gui tool interface elements anything similar in xcode interface builder wild4life2013 Mac Programming 1 Aug 10, 2013 08:13 PM
OpenGL ES without interface builder? blueshogun96 iPhone/iPad Programming 1 Feb 10, 2013 01:04 PM
Interface Builder Crashes Every Time wickerman1893 iPhone/iPad Programming 5 Jun 29, 2012 06:57 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC