Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:25 PM   #1
nlivo
macrumors 6502a

Who's really sick of seeing ACCELEROMETER-based games???

I know this has to do with the lack of physcial buttons on the iPhone, but nearly all the games use the accelerometer to control the game (I'm not talking about Super Monkey Ball, because that makes sense to use the accelerometer). Anyone else sick of seeing all these games using these controls? Couldn't there be some controls where you just touch the left (or right) part of the screen to go in that direction (In my head, I'm thinking of a racing game), and maybe just a quick shake to shoot something. Am I alone in thinking this?
Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Auzburner
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Auzburner
I have similar thoughts, but then I think what else "Cool" is there....
Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:44 PM   #3
NDimichino
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlivo View Post
I know this has to do with the lack of physcial buttons on the iPhone, but nearly all the games use the accelerometer to control the game (I'm not talking about Super Monkey Ball, because that makes sense to use the accelerometer). Anyone else sick of seeing all these games using these controls? Couldn't there be some controls where you just touch the left (or right) part of the screen to go in that direction (In my head, I'm thinking of a racing game), and maybe just a quick shake to shoot something. Am I alone in thinking this?
The accelerometer is awesome and these game are going to be insane. I had NES on my phone when it was jailbroken and it was impossible to play because although the app gave you buttons to press, you couldn't feel them so you would constantly be missing them during games.

The accelerometer is going to allow for really unique games, and at this point, any games are better than nothing. The games didn't even come out yet and you're complaining? You might really like them. Give it a shot.
NDimichino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 06:07 PM   #4
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
In the Keynote, the last game (by Digital Legends) shown was controlled exactly the way you are describing, using the left and right of the screen to control the character, and a quick shake to jump. So they are out there.

So far, most of what you have seen has been showing development-type people how things can be controlled...interesting ways of using what the phone is capable of. Everybody knows you can touch a screen. That's old news. They are simply using the accelerometer-based games to show what CAN be done.
samiwas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 06:16 PM   #5
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

You're not alone. That's why there's an ...

iControlPad

coming for games.
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 06:27 PM   #6
uhhitsjames
macrumors member

I'm sure there will be plenty of games like how you are describing once they launch the app store. I think the accelerometer is a cool way to play a game, but I also see what you are talking about.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 06:32 PM   #7
Dorfdad
macrumors 6502

Man Im not digging motion tilting I mean has anyone tried it. the screen consistently changes and your view is alternated all the time resulting in some pretty bad gameplay.. yes is can be done, but tilting the screen away from my view to move something is kind of dumb.. IM looking forward to more finger point and click type games...

Like the old days with Adventure Games..
Old Jun 11, 2008, 06:49 PM   #8
monke
macrumors 65816

Are you kidding me, we've been forced to use controllers and control pads for years now. It provides more to the game and requires far more skill than just hitting buttons. I also find that they are far more fun (and frustrating) at the same time.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 07:03 PM   #9
Drumjim85
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
You're not alone. That's why there's an ...

iControlPad

coming for games.
I remember the sdk not allowing access to the dock, so unless they change this, or you hack your phone, this won't be usefull..
Old Jun 11, 2008, 08:12 PM   #10
twist2b
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to twist2b
not to sound like a jerk to nintendo, but there is a snes emulator for the itouch and iPhone..... Though I dont even think there are legal restrictions on snes games anymore.

edit - and you do NOT have to buy hardware, you just use the touch screen at the bottom are the buttons.
twist2b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 01:09 AM   #11
nlivo
macrumors 6502a

Hmmm, I would've thought there would have been more people agreeing with me. I get really frustrated every-time I hear about a game that you control by "tilting" your iPhone. I really did like the look of that physics sort of game. Where you touch and rotate little things on the screen to make water droplets or something go to a specific place. I thought that was pretty unique.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 01:16 AM   #12
ziggyonice
macrumors 68020

As listening to MacBreak a few months ago, Andy Ihnatko brought up how easy it would be for game developers to chose their own placement for "buttons" on the phone. You could even develop a D-Pad, think HUD style, that simply is overlaid upon the actual video.

It can be done easily. I just think developers are getting a kick out of the ease of incorporating the accelerometer. Don't get me wrong, some games are perfect for it, but many others can be on their way once they try out some other possibilities for controls.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 01:17 AM   #13
carve
macrumors 6502a

I like the accelerometer games, they look like lots of fun
carve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 01:55 AM   #14
iEdd
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to iEdd
Quote:
Hmmm, I would've thought there would have been more people agreeing with me. I get really frustrated every-time I hear about a game that you control by "tilting" your iPhone. I really did like the look of that physics sort of game. Where you touch and rotate little things on the screen to make water droplets or something go to a specific place. I thought that was pretty unique.
Do you mean Enigmo? Made by the same people as Cro Mag Rally.
iEdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 02:02 AM   #15
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEdd View Post
or iphysics
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 02:19 AM   #16
nlivo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEdd View Post
Yeah, no, I mean Enigmo. It looks like a really good game. And I just read that Apple have voted it the best iPhone game. That's even better.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone