Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:04 AM   #1
Wanderer509
macrumors member

macbook wont start up =o=

omgoodness, 2 days before finals and this happens == apple u have disappointed me.

anyways, i was using my macbook fine, and i started noticing a severe slowdown for no reason (i was just browsing, webcaming, etc, normal load imo). the fan started spinning maxspeed and i noticed that its accessing my ram (paging in). force quiting some application didnt really help, so i just force shut down.

now whenever i start it up, it just sounds the apple chime and fan spin really hard. i tried putting in mac install disc and my included leopard disc, but pressing they dont appear when i press option, the optical drive seems to be fine as it spins and ejects disc. i tried resetting pram and smc as per listed in apple support. any extra help?

my macbook is 2.16ghz running leopard 10.5.3 on 1.5GB of ram
Wanderer509 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:15 AM   #2
ert3
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to ert3 Send a message via MSN to ert3 Send a message via Yahoo to ert3 Send a message via Skype™ to ert3
Did you hold down alt when atempting to boot from the reinstall disks.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:15 AM   #3
Wanderer509
macrumors member

yes =(

if it makes a difference, i dont hear the HD spinning at all.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:23 AM   #4
ert3
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to ert3 Send a message via MSN to ert3 Send a message via Yahoo to ert3 Send a message via Skype™ to ert3
Try booting from the disk and tell us if you can acess your drive from the disk utility.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:25 AM   #5
Wanderer509
macrumors member

the problem is i cant boot from the disc or anything. tried both install disc (the tiger one) and leopard drop-in dvd. i hold C for the install disc, nothing. hold alt, gives me the pointer, but nothing shows up that i can click. i will probably bring it to the apple store in ubc (since i go to ubc) but its just plain annoying as i am trying to study n all of a sudden it breaks down.

any other suggestions?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:51 AM   #6
mad cow disease
macrumors member

Ram?

Doesn't sound like a HDD crash and even if it was you would boot off of CD.

I can't remember if these computers run 1 or 2 memory slots but have you tried running off of each stick (if applicable) individually?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:56 AM   #7
Wanderer509
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad cow disease View Post
Doesn't sound like a HDD crash and even if it was you would boot off of CD.

I can't remember if these computers run 1 or 2 memory slots but have you tried running off of each stick (if applicable) individually?
macbooks have 2 ram slots, but i doubt that will solve anything. i will give it a go though.

EDIT: tried booting on each ram, no go. however, i noticed some white residue on the other piece of ram that apple supplied with the macbook. maybe something inside melted?

Last edited by Wanderer509; Jun 12, 2008 at 01:04 AM.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook