Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RTee

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Australia
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help shed some light on the issue I'm having with my server.

The server is an OD master and running as the gateway. Mail, ical, NAT and DHCP are working OK, all clients are bound to the directory.

But when trying to setup server based Home folders though what happens is that after I configure sharing and automount on the designated home folder it lists as example.com in WGM and not the server name server.example.com which is what I have seen in tutorials and my clients resolve to. Whether this is correct or not clients can only resolve to server.example.com.

Home directories are created fine in the specified home folder but my clients can't see example.com only server.example.com and if I add a custom path in WGM/Home to server.example.com/home etc it will not create the home folder, only when it's set to example.com which is there automatically after setting up automount.

On the client machines under Network/Servers I do see the example.com folder and inside an alias to the home folder but it doesn't resolve.

Clients are also unable to get to the webpage example.com but can to server.example.com but on the server example.com loads just fine.

I'm surely missing something in my config, hopefully something silly.

In my DNS setup I have the following:

>example.com Primary Zone -
server Machine 192.168.5.1

>5.168.192.in-addr.arpa Reverse Zone -
192.168.5.1 Reverse Mapping sever.example.com

Appreciate any help.

Thanks
Dave

RTee

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Australia
Found a solution.

OK I've now got this working, whether it's a work around or the way to do it I have no idea.

In DNS I added the following:

>example.com Primary Zone -
"servername" Machine External IP address (static IP from ISP)
server.com. Machine 192.168.5.1
http://www.server.com. ALIAS server.com.

>5.168.192.in-addr.arpa Reverse Zone -
192.168.5.1 Reverse Mapping example.com.

>external IP.in-addr.arpa Reverse Zone -
external IP Reverse Mapping servername.example.com.

The reverse mappings were added automatically.

Have since tested and can log on to home folders on the server and browse
to both http://www.server.com and server.com

I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone who thinks we initially should have seen the auto path to the home folders in WGM list as server.example.com instead of example.com.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.