Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tlebon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Ok I have been waiting to get a MBP for about 2 months now and I finally got one. One of the first apps I made sure to get was Multiclutch. This is easily the sickest app on the MBP.
In case anyone doesnt know, multiclutch extends the multitouch feature on the trackpads on new MBPs and MBA. Extends is really too small a word though, because before, the gestures dont do a damn thing. Any way, a little tinkering around with multiclutch and I think I pretty much have the lay of the land.
First thing is first- global applications: these are your bread and butter in multiclutch. set up some good ones that will help u with anything. some that are good are:
swipe down -cmd-H -hides current window
zoom out -cmd-Q -quits current application
and I like Rotate left -cmd-W - closes current window- ill get more into that one in a minute.

these should get u started and used to multiclutch and most importantly global gestures will affect programs that wouldnt usually be affected by multiclutch such as carbon apps (itunes and finder especially).
IMPORTANT: if you try to put gestures in itunes or any other carbon app remember to reset the shortcut for the global apps and the app will be able to use some gestures again

next most important application for gestures: firefox- or your browser of choice. These ones work great and really streamline the browsing experience. im still toying with these a little but the ones i have now are:
rotate right -cmd-T- new tab
rotate left -cmd-W -this and the global app with the same function for the same gesture really work great together. in firefox cmd-W will close ur current tab and in global it will close ur current window- really intuitive and helpful
zoom in -cmd-shift-T -opens ur most recently closed tab-good for when u accidentally rotate left
swipe right- cmd ] - forward
swipe left -cmd [ -back -saves a lot of time

obviously these firefox ones are not completely ideal because it would be nice to switch tabs when u want to as well, but the other gestures dont really work for switch tab, and the goal is really to make the gestures something simple and obvious. that said i am tinkering with moving back to swipe up and then just having left right be for switching -so far its not really working because the combo for previous tab is set to the same button combo as the little app switcher thingie. anyway clearly more work needs to be put in, but i just got my MBP a few days ago, so im constantly trying out new gestures for different actions. If anyone has any gestures they think are good please share them, or if anyone thinks they know some better ones than the ones i point out.Thanks.

Fusion

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2005
Thanks for the heads up on this, I hadn't heard of it before. I'm really liking swiping up or down to move between tabs in Safari.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Yep. I installed multicluth and loving it. Before, going back and forth was the reason that kept me from using Firefox even though it felt Firefox was snappier than Safari. :p

So swipe left and right brought to Firefox really helps me.
I like your idea of rotating right for new tabs. I'm gonna steal it :p

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Used multiclutch for a few days; didn't like it; I like the easy keyboard shortcuts; that say if I use another Mac I don't have to go for the touchpad/mouse; I can just use keyboard shortcuts.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
im feeling thick, and cannot see how to edit the inputs, i added firefox, but when i go to add a command, i just get swipe left, and cant work out how to edit it :S

jheidenr

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2007
So if you are using Multiclutch to swipe left and swipe right set for a specific application (e.g. browse forward/backward in Firefox), you won't be able to use those gestures globally for something like switching between Spaces, right?

So far I am loving the Multiclutch, but it would be really great to also be able to Cmd + "swipe left/right".

stormbob

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2008
I've been using it for some time as well. Here is my keys:

Firefox:
Swipe left = cmd+left = Back
Swipe right = cmd+right = Forward
Swipe down = cmd+w = close tab
Swipe up = cmd+t = new tab
Zoom in = cmd+r = reload

Linkinus (irc)
Swipe down = cmd+up+w = close window

Adium
Swipe left = cmd+left = left tab
Swipe right = cmd+right = right tab
Swipe down = cmd+w = close tab

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Hi
I'm just playing around with this but it's not working. I set up cmd+left/right for Firefox (swipe left/right) but it's not working.

I have the new MBP (Oct 2008).

Thx,
Tex

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Hi,
I tried cmd+[ and cmd+] and it also doesnt work. I did restart firefox. Actually when I swipe left or right (3 fingers) I see the "cmd tab" menu (application switch)

Tex

Eautography

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
Here something different that I've been using

- Rotate Left/Right = cmd+` (switch between tab or page)
- Zoom in + Zoom out = expose

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Hi,
I tried cmd+[ and cmd+] and it also doesnt work. I did restart firefox. Actually when I swipe left or right (3 fingers) I see the "cmd tab" menu (application switch)

Tex
Well now the multiclutch gestures work but the "built in" gestures like expose dont work anymore :(

any ideas how to make both work ?

Tex

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I think that this is one of the best programs around. Also, the dev now works for Apple, so I don't expect any Multiclutch updates, but I do expect to see this functionality built into the OS soon.

Now just gotta figure out a way to have basic multitouch on an older macbook. Whenever I use it, I find myself attempting to do the gestures I do on my Pro.

TXBDan

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2008
Boston, MA
Have you guys noticed any instability while using this? I had it installed and my computer got real flakey and even totally crashed once. I wasn't sure what was causing it but it did coincide w/ the multiclutch install. I uninstalled it and things have been fine since.

also, fwiw, the Minefield (firefox/mozilla) build 3.1b2 supports all the gesture stuff. pinch zoom, swipe forward/back, rotate motion to flip through tabs. works great.

Skyldig

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
This is truly a great app.

Anyone know a way to start programs with the trackpad? I have my zoom-out set to cmd+W and I'd really like to have my zoom-in to automaticly start my browser.

Thanks for any answer. Just got my new MBP yesterday btw. Absolutely fantastic machine. (I'm used to Mac, but i never went pro before)

EDIT: Nevermind. I fixed it myself ;)

EDIT EDIT: No i didn't. I can open it with a zoom-in if I just closed it with a cmd+W. But when i use a different app (or just click on the desktop) it doesn't work :( Anyone?

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
So ... Snow Leopard will sport more Cocoa than Leopard does right now.
I've read reports of a Cocoa Finder etc ...

So Multiclutch will gain functionality when Snow Leopard is released, right?

(the carbon restriction is the only thing I don't like about multiclutch)

Sevan-Geneva

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008
Multiclutch works with my Finder

I don't understand, maybe I have a special Finder, but Multiclutch works on my unibody MBP...

I didn't try with the Global gestures since I don't want to use it at all. I just added Finder.app and programmed some gestures. They all work except the Swipe gestures (left/right are already taken and up/down just doesn't work).

fishniw

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
for some reason my computer is not allowing me to change the commands. I click on the gesture I want (such as swipe down) but then I click command + something and it will not apply it. Can anyone help me?

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
lets say you wanna program firefox.. make sure firefox is quitted. Also, go to the multitouch pane from system pref NOT through a spotlight search. Sounnds weird but i noticed the same thing.

I have become almost obsessed with this program. I am afraid that after i use these, some software update will disable the use of them, and i will be going insane!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.