Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fishniw

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
lets say you wanna program firefox.. make sure firefox is quitted. Also, go to the multitouch pane from system pref NOT through a spotlight search. Sounnds weird but i noticed the same thing.

I have become almost obsessed with this program. I am afraid that after i use these, some software update will disable the use of them, and i will be going insane!

Thanks for the advice. I was getting to mutliclutch through quicksliver, ha. Also, is it possible to launch quicksilver using swipe down (globally)?

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
Thanks for the advice. I was getting to mutliclutch through quicksliver, ha. Also, is it possible to launch quicksilver using swipe down (globally)?

i wouldnt see why not with quicksilver. I have it set up to when i zoom in it opens dashboard

fishniw

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
i wouldnt see why not with quicksilver. I have it set up to when i zoom in it opens dashboard

I thought so too, but when i go to put the command in, it actually brings up quicksilver instead of putting the command in the key box

fishniw

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008

I tried to set dashboard as a gesture and I can't do that either. It just brings up dashboard instead of putting in the command.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Sweet, I managed to assign expose to my multi-clutch using 3 swipe bottom and down. I do hope there is a 4 finger swipe in the future, then I will have a 90% same trackpad as the new MBP :D

Its a pity Apple is not going to update the previous gen MBP with the new multi-touch gestures (well its not confirmed, but don't put your hopes up that Apple will update the previous gen MBPs).

I need the 4 finger swipe cause I want to assign my global commands to it :(

rtpub

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
How many gestures does MultiCluth officially support?

Hi, please excuse me for these seemingly dumb questions, but I'm just a new Mac user and new to the whole Multi-touch idea :D

BTW, when doing a rotate left/right gesture, do I do it with just 2 fingers? :confused:

Thanks!

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Your fingers must be hurting and your brain aching to memorize all these shortcuts. Don't get me wrong, Multi Clutch is a great app, but for some, it's just too much. Apple presented it in a simple, logical way. No swiping + keyboard, just the swipe. Don't make life harder for yourself with multiple shortcuts and different combinations of swiping and keyboard.

jamestemroot

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2007
Your fingers must be hurting and your brain aching to memorize all these shortcuts. Don't get me wrong, Multi Clutch is a great app, but for some, it's just too much. Apple presented it in a simple, logical way. No swiping + keyboard, just the swipe. Don't make life harder for yourself with multiple shortcuts and different combinations of swiping and keyboard.

Through repetitive usage of shortcut keys or gestures, I'm sure it'll become intuitive to the user (owner) who sets these functionals.

steamed.hams

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Miami, FL
I'm having trouble configuring Multiclutch. I set up a lot of trackpad functions for firefox last week, but now I'm having trouble editing or adding new functions.

For example, let's say I'm trying to configure cmd + H as "swipe right" for iTunes. When I go to add it, the shortcut will not register...instead the multiclutch prefernce pane disappears all together (because I hit cmd +H obviously) .

I had no problem configuring it earlier, but now I'm stuck :confused:

Any help is greatly appreciated

fishniw

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
I'm having trouble configuring Multiclutch. I set up a lot of trackpad functions for firefox last week, but now I'm having trouble editing or adding new functions.

For example, let's say I'm trying to configure cmd + H as "swipe right" for iTunes. When I go to add it, the shortcut will not register...instead the multiclutch prefernce pane disappears all together (because I hit cmd +H obviously) .

I had no problem configuring it earlier, but now I'm stuck :confused:

Any help is greatly appreciated

i think someone might have addressed this in this thread but I had the same problem. If you're bringing up the multiclutch preference pane with quicksilver or spotlight search multiclutch will not register the command. If that doesn't work go into keyboard settings, disable command + h, go into multiclutch and assign it, then go back into keyboard settings and enable it again

steamed.hams

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Miami, FL
If you're bringing up the multiclutch preference pane with quicksilver or spotlight search multiclutch will not register the command.

I've been using Quicksilver to access the multiclutch prefpane, which is why it wasn't working for me. Going through system prefs fixed the problem, thank you. :)

blank.blank1

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2008
i need some help..... i've been mucking around with multiclutch and been having some problems. First of all, i've put swipe down as cmd-h and zoom-out as cmd-Q under global but there are certain apps which this does not work, such as itunes and folders/finder (sorry i'm unsure about the proper terminologies as i'm new to mac). anyone know how to fix this?
Also i've set up the swipe left and right to be able to directly switch spaces. I used ^-left and ^-right as set under swipe left and right under global and then set this up accordingly "to switch between spaces" this was working perfectly until today for some reason, i've tried reseting the whole thing but it still doesnt work...:( *actually i've noticed that it only works when system preferences is up* any ideas?

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
i need some help..... i've been mucking around with multiclutch and been having some problems. First of all, i've put swipe down as cmd-h and zoom-out as cmd-Q under global but there are certain apps which this does not work, such as itunes and folders/finder (sorry i'm unsure about the proper terminologies as i'm new to mac). anyone know how to fix this?
Also i've set up the swipe left and right to be able to directly switch spaces. I used ^-left and ^-right as set under swipe left and right under global and then set this up accordingly "to switch between spaces" this was working perfectly until today for some reason, i've tried reseting the whole thing but it still doesnt work...:( *actually i've noticed that it only works when system preferences is up* any ideas?

It only works in Cocoa applications. ;)

rwskemer

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
Here something different that I've been using

- Rotate Left/Right = cmd+` (switch between tab or page)
- Zoom in + Zoom out = expose

I do the same thing with the Rotate Left/Right to switch between tabs. Makes browsing even easier, my fingers rarely leave the touchpad.

sircutbreaker

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
Florida
Favorites

Multiclutch is one of my favorite things on the macbook pro...

I use swipe down as cmd-t (new tab)
swipe up as cmd-w (close tab)

think of it like you are playing cards... when you pull the card towards you.. you want them... and if you were throwing the hand away... you would swipe up (push the cards away)

i have the zoom in and out set to cmd = and cmd -

i use rotate right as a refresh (f5)

swipe left and right (back and forth a page)

Snow leopard has changed a few things... When the programs are running 64 bit, multiclutch gestures arent working for that program.. but if you go to your apps folder and get info on the program.. you can check off run in 32 bit mode... (mail for example) and then the gestures will work again for that program.

i use a swipe left in mail to (get mail) and a swipe right to send mail...
swipe down for new mail... swipe up is still cmd-w

really looking forward to the program being updated for snow leopard..

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
apparently it only works with 32 bit apps. I don't think it will be updated, as i thought i heard the guy that wrote it got hired by apple.

its a big shame if it wont work on 64 bit apps, i use Safari and multi clutch quite a bit. This should be built into the OS.

mu104

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
more gestures

Try jitouch
http://www.supersorn.com/jitouch

It adds more gestures to the OS that lets you change tab, open link in new tab, close, minimize, zoom, move/resize,... with new gestures in addition to the built-in gestures. It works pretty well, but I sometimes accidentally trigger it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.