Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syclonefx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Daytona Beach Fl
I emailed ATT about the iPhone 2 days ago and they final replied back. I asked them : What time on July 11 will the iPhone 3G go on sale? Will I be able to buy it when the store opens?

Here is their reply
Dear Mr. P******,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail the new AT&T regarding your inquiry about when on July 11 will our customers be able to purchase the iPhone. You are inquring about if the phone will be available at the time our stores open. I am happy to help you with your inquiry.

We have not been advised when, on July 11, 2008, the iPhone will be available through our corporate retail stores as retail stores can have different hours of operation. You will need to contact our retail stores directly to obtain this information. You can view our store locations by going to http://www.wireless.att.com/find-a-store/.

The new 3G iPhone, Mr. P******, which is scheduled to be available 7/11/2008, will harnesses the power of AT&T's broad and powerful 3G mobile broadband network. Please visit http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iPhone.jsp? To submit your e-mail address to find out more about the new 3G iPhone as soon as it?s available. You can also check 3G coverage availability for your area by using the 3G Coverage Viewer link or by visiting http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer. AT&T's 3G network is currently available in 280 leading U.S. metropolitan areas; by year-end, the company plans to offer 3G service in nearly 350 metro areas.

The 3G iPhone will initially only be available for purchase at company owned AT&T retail stores and Apple stores. There is a limit of three per customer for the 3G iPhone in AT&T stores and customers will be required to pay for the device when the order is placed. The phone will be shipped to the store in the customer's name. We will continue to sell 2G devices until they are out of stock. All of our current postpaid 2G iPhone customers that are in good standing are upgrade eligible and will qualify to upgrade to a 3G iPhone when it is available. Customers that do not currently have an iPhone must qualify for an upgrade to the 3G iPhone and can verify upgrade options via myWireless Account or by contacting Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500 when the new device becomes available. No-commitment pricing is unavailable for the 3G iPhone, which will only be available for purchase with a new 2 year service agreement.

The new 3G device, Mr. P******, will be activated in store in both AT&T and Apple store locations. You must accept AT&T and Apple's Terms and Conditions, as well as select a 3G iPhone Data plan before leaving the store. You can add the $30.00 per month 3G iPhone Unlimited Data (Email-Web) plan that includes Visual Voicemail to your qualifying voice plan. The 3G iPhone $45.00 per month Unlimited Data with personal and Corporate e-mail, Web, and Visual Voicemail can be added to your qualifying voice plan if you intend on using the 3G iPhone for access to corporate e-mail, business applications, or access to corporate intranet. The activation process for 3G iPhones includes a short tether process to unbrick the 3G device and will be performed in all AT&T stores (tether cords will be provided). Apple stores will also perform this tether process, however, in the event that your device is not tethered in the Apple store, your device will be inoperable until you get home and tether through iTunes. Prepaid and Pick Your Plan service will not be available on the 3G device. Service discounts are available to qualifying customers for individual user accounts for voice and data plans on the 3G iPhone only. The return policy for the new 3G iPhone is 30 days for both Apple and AT&T stores. To cancel service within the first 30 days, you must return your equipment to the place of purchase. If you cancel after the 30 days, you will be charged the early termination fees and are not required to return the device.

I hope that the information provided has been helpful , Mr. P******, and has resolved all of your questions. If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this e-mail or contact customer service at 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from your wireless phone.

I encourage you to visit our web site (http://www.att.com/wireless) often to view current and previous monthly statements, make payments and to shop for new product and service offerings. Thank you for allowing the new AT&T to serve as your wireless company. We will do our best to ensure that your wireless experience is a success.

Sincerely,

Deborah Clayton
AT&T
Online Customer Care Professional

I would also like to remind you of our STAR (*) Services. There are four
services that we currently offer. Using your wireless phone:

- You can check your minutes by pressing *MIN#, then "Call."
- You can check your data usage by pressing *DATA#, then "Call."
- You can check your balance by pressing *BAL#, then "Call."
- You can even make a payment by dialing *PAY, then "Call."

* Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week free of charge.
There may be delays processing network call records. Minutes Used may not include airtime used within the last two to five days and does not include recent roaming minutes due to delayed processing. Roaming airtime and roaming long distance minutes used are based on call records received from other carriers and processed by AT&T. A delay of two to ten days at minimum is usual. A delay of up to 60 days or longer is possible. Results for Family Talk customers may not involve all minutes for the entire Family Talk group. Prepaid customers will not have access to *Services.

Help AT&T improve our service to you! Please complete our short survey about your e-mail Customer Service experience. Click on:
http://www.wireless.att.com/supportsurvey/epoll/Booth.do? LINK TO SURVEY

The information provided in this e-mail is intended for the view and use of the authorized AT&T subscriber only. Content may not be shared or relied upon by third parties. AT&T, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to amend, modify or replace the written content of this message to correct or update answers provided to Subscriber. No term of Subscriber's Customer Service Agreement is altered, waived, or modified by this message unless expressly agreed by an authorized AT&T representative.

(c) 2007 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other AT&T marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Contact and Verification Information
First Name: CHUCK
Last Name: P******
Wireless Number: 386506****
E-mail Address: chuck@*********.com
Topic/Subtopic
Topic: I have a question about equipment
Subtopic: No subtopic 2 available

Additional Information

Q1:Enter the wireless number associated with your account
A1:386506****

Q2:What is the manufacturer of the equipment you are inquiring about?
A2:Other

Q3:manufactures Model?
A3:iPhone 3G

Q4:Enter your question about the feature below:
A4:What time on July 11 will the iPhone 3G go on sale? Will I be able to buy it when the store opens?

saxamoophone

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
Customers that do not currently have an iPhone must qualify for an upgrade to the 3G iPhone and can verify upgrade options via myWireless Account or by contacting Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500 when the new device becomes available. No-commitment pricing is unavailable for the 3G iPhone, which will only be available for purchase with a new 2 year service agreement.

Ugh, so I have to wait til 11/09 to buy an iPhone according to that, eh?

Yeah.....

guess apple really doesn't want my money......

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
With an average of 15 minutes for every activation it seems like it's going to be a long wait in line! I wonder if they'll have two lines, one for current IPhone customers, and one for new buyers...?

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
I think they will have a 2 lines

whats going to happen is there will be a kiosk that will give you a print out with all your info on it... you give it to the at&t guy/girl and they will set you up and it will speed the whole process up.

I could probably complete the process in 6 mins.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Wait...the 3G iPhone is not IN the store??? It's ORDERED first, THEN it comes in LATER?

Also...what's it mean by Corporate email/web? I thought the firmware itself had Exchange.

Yeah.....

It's AT&T...not Apple.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
"There is a limit of three per customer for the 3G iPhone in AT&T stores and customers will be required to pay for the device when the order is placed. The phone will be shipped to the store in the customer's name."

Wait... so.. we cant actually BUY a phone, they have to order it for you?! WTF is that about?

saxamoophone

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
Wait...the 3G iPhone is not IN the store??? It's ORDERED first, THEN it comes in LATER?

It's AT&T...not Apple.

Well, AT&T is going to get the same sum of money from me either way (I already pay them the 70-some a month).

Apple on the other hand won't get a dime from me if I can't buy a 3G iPhone.

So it's really in apple's best interest to let me buy one for a decent price. If they only cost $100 to make (plus another $50 or so for other costs), I'm pretty sure selling it to me for $199 would be $49 more dollars then $0.

So as long as they don't sell out....apple can either
- make some money
- make nothing

It doesn't take a business degree to know that one of these options is pretty dumb =p

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Well, AT&T is going to get the same sum of money from me either way (I already pay them the 70-some a month).

Apple on the other hand won't get a dime from me if I can't buy a 3G iPhone.

So it's really in apple's best interest to let me buy one for a decent price. If they only cost $100 to make (plus another $50 or so for other costs), I'm pretty sure selling it to me for $199 would be $49 more dollars then $0.

So as long as they don't sell out....apple can either
- make some money
- make nothing

It doesn't take a business degree to know that one of these options is pretty dumb =p

Yeah, but it's AT&T's choice to make you wait the two years before you're eligible to upgrade. Apple doesn't make money...but they can't do anything about it.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
The way this reads when they mention the voice plan and data plan, it sounds like there is a qualified voice plan but they don't say you have to get the data plan. Hmmmmm...... For everyone that doesn't wish to pay the $30 data plan, this sounds promising.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
The way this reads when they mention the voice plan and data plan, it sounds like there is a qualified voice plan but they don't say you have to get the data plan. Hmmmmm...... For everyone that doesn't wish to pay the $30 data plan, this sounds promising.

What really is the point of the iPhone without the data plan? =/ Well, then again, with AppStore, I guess it makes up for it now (unlike before where you could try to manage without data).

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA

Yeah.....

You can still get a 2G ... and the proper way to think about it is AT&T already has your money, no need to give you another cut-rate phone.

pedroistheman

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2007
The information provided in this e-mail is intended for the view and use of the authorized AT&T subscriber only. Content may not be shared or relied upon by third parties. AT&T, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to amend, modify or replace the written content of this message to correct or update answers provided to Subscriber. No term of Subscriber's Customer Service Agreement is altered, waived, or modified by this message unless expressly agreed by an authorized AT&T representative.
[/I]

haha, it says u can't share this info with a third party...nice

pedroistheman

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2007
what qualifies one as a 'current iphone owner'?

an iphone in hand or on your account record?????

I think I might just email ATT about this one

saxamoophone

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
You can still get a 2G ... and the proper way to think about it is AT&T already has your money, no need to give you another cut-rate phone.

Well being that I DIDN'T get a 2G iphone last year when I started my contract was because of the lack of 3G, a 2G would be a step in the wrong direction for me.

But the proper way to think about this is if AT&T doesn't offer a non-cut-rate phone price (around 399/499), I might just cancel my contract with them and go with Verizon =p

$175 is quite a bit less then $80 x 18 months!

Ryan.Fork

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
Customers that do not currently have an iPhone must qualify for an upgrade to the 3G iPhone and can verify upgrade options via myWireless Account or by contacting Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500 when the new device becomes available. No-commitment pricing is unavailable for the 3G iPhone, which will only be available for purchase with a new 2 year service agreement.

What an absolutely huge steaming pile of horse-**** :mad: This is the only phone out that I can't just buy outright. Wow AT&T must be desperate... Just wow :rolleyes:

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I really wish people would stop asking AT&T CSRs at their call centre (that know nothing) all of these questions and then posting them here. I'd like to see a link to AT&T's website with all the information- at that point I think we would know. I'm not sure if AT&T is still undecided on how this is going to work or if they learned a trick from Apple to no disclose anything till the day before to keep people guessing....

CrazEtooN

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Hampton Roads, Virginia
You guys are getting confused. There is going to be the subsidized price of $199/$299, and there is going to be a full price of "yet to be determined."

When they say "no commitment" price, they just mean that you can't buy and use a 3G iPhone without a 2 year contract. Normal phones have a "no commitment" price that allows you to buy, and use, the phone without renewing/starting a contract. The iPhone isn't like that. They will still sell it at a higher price to non-eligible people, but you will have to sign a new contract regardless of paying the higher price. I would imagine that the contract will just replace your existing one and start the 2 year term from that day, like always, but I can't be sure.

It is a back-asswards idea, and I am angered just thinking about it, but it is the way it is. They are not going to turn down your money and say you can't buy it at all just because you are not upgrade eligible. Doing that would be nothing short of a financial and PR disaster for both At&t and Apple.

By the way, this is nothing more than information I gathered from the same rumor-mill you all visit, so take it with a grain of salt.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
What an absolutely huge steaming pile of horse-**** :mad: This is the only phone out that I can't just buy outright.
Not true.
Go into any AT&T store and try and BUY any premium phone without a contract. Not gonna happen.
It's not just the iPhone. All their "premium" phones have this restriction.
They list the retail (no contract) price of the phone on their site, but try and buy one. You cannot complete he sale without picking a contract.
AT&T knows you want it, so they will restrict the sales. If you want it bad enough, you will sign the contract.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
They officially used the word "unbrick". Classic. What a bunch of douchebags.

Frankly, I am pleased with my 1g or 2g or whatever the hell you kids call it. I'm glad I am not itching to upgrade!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.