Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMaad

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
What an absolutely huge steaming pile of horse-**** :mad: This is the only phone out that I can't just buy outright. Wow AT&T must be desperate... Just wow :rolleyes:

No offense, but why would you want to buy it outright? The main reasons for that are either to unlock the phone for use on another carrier or sell it at a profit to someone else for the same reason. The point of most businesses is to make money, and since AT&T is likely going to be paying more than $199/$299 for the iPhones, they are of course going to want to make that money back (and then some) by requiring a contract. That's the way the cell phone industry works. The "retail" price on any smart phone is just for comparison... if you try to buy one at the AT&T Wireless website it will tell you you must have a plan to check out. Verizon doesn't even offer the retail price on their site, just a contract price.

What happened was that the iPhone got special treatment for its first year. And the business model allowed loss of AT&T's potential revenue. Now that's not true anymore. Yes, it's an adjustment, but we'll all have to get over it. Or, as has been pointed out, choose not to participate.

seenett

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
No offense, but why would you want to buy it outright? The main reasons for that are either to unlock the phone for use on another carrier or sell it at a profit to someone else for the same reason. The point of most businesses is to make money, and since AT&T is likely going to be paying more than $199/$299 for the iPhones, they are of course going to want to make that money back (and then some) by requiring a contract. That's the way the cell phone industry works. The "retail" price on any smart phone is just for comparison... if you try to buy one at the AT&T Wireless website it will tell you you must have a plan to check out. Verizon doesn't even offer the retail price on their site, just a contract price.

What happened was that the iPhone got special treatment for its first year. And the business model allowed loss of AT&T's potential revenue. Now that's not true anymore. Yes, it's an adjustment, but we'll all have to get over it. Or, as has been pointed out, choose not to participate.

As Ryan pointed out, the iPhone is the ONLY wireless phone that must be purchased with a 2 year contract regardless of a subsidy. Check out Amazon - there are hundreds of non-subsidized phones available without any plan necessary.

Of course AT&T wants to get people on a contract, so if they sell a phone they require a service plan of some sort - but not necessarily with a 24 month contract. Existing customers can buy any other non-subsidized phone utilizing their existing contract and not have it extended another 2 years.

I don't buy the argument that the iPhone is "special" anymore. This time around it is being treated as any other smartphone in AT&T's inventory - except for a mandatory 24 month contract. There is a double standard that gives AT&T twice the benefit - selling full price phones with a subsidized phone contract. Yes, we have to "get over it" or "don't participate" - but all you apologists out there should also acknowledge the double standard instead of defending it as a normal practice.

/soap box

Ryan.Fork

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
No offense, but why would you want to buy it outright? The main reasons for that are either to unlock the phone for use on another carrier or sell it at a profit to someone else for the same reason. The point of most businesses is to make money, and since AT&T is likely going to be paying more than $199/$299 for the iPhones, they are of course going to want to make that money back (and then some) by requiring a contract.

Reason #3, I'm not eligible for upgrade, and I'd like to get the new 3G Jesus phone. I skipped the OG iPhone :)D) because I didn't feel it had everything I wanted in a phone for $600/$400. However, not knowing when the new one would come out, I purchased a Q on sale during Black Friday. It has the 3G and GPS that I desired, and I got it for a cool $100. Now I would like to get a 3G iPhone on July 11, but it is seeming like this is going to be impossible for any cost.

I understand AT&T wants to make sure that they are making their cash, but I'm already signed up for a 2 year contract and wouldn't have a problem paying the full retail price for the 3G iPhone. AT&T would still be making their money off of me ($110 for a family plan + data + unlimited messaging) and I would have my iPhone. But I guess I won't be participating in this new phone if things pan out the way they appear to be (I'm hoping something changes, but eh). If not, I guess I'll be getting myself an HTC Touch Pro if I can't get a 3G iPhone :(

MacMaad

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
...but all you apologists out there should also acknowledge the double standard instead of defending it as a normal practice.

LOL, I'm not an apologist. I'm more of a realist. I was as annoyed as the next person when they announced the new plans, since I couldn't purchase the original iPhone due to a Verizon contract, and now the plan is going to cost me significantly more over the long term. Especially since I do not have 3G coverage anywhere around me, and I'm not likely to get it soon, either. I just figured I had to get over it, or stick with Verizon. Since I really want an iPhone, I just decided to deal with it. I wasn't defending AT&T in particular, it's just that business is business.

The iPhone introduced a completely different pricing structure when it came out, and adjustments have been made. I think they will probably continue to be made until they settle into whatever the market will bear. Unfortunately, the iPhone is not available on Amazon. AT&T has exclusivity, so we all have to play their game or send a message that it's not going to fly. I'm guessing it's close enough to the standard smart phone plan that most people will choose to play, but maybe not. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. :)

MacMaad

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Reason #3, I'm not eligible for upgrade . . . Now I would like to get a 3G iPhone on July 11, but it is seeming like this is going to be impossible for any cost.

I really hope this does not turn out to be true when all the information is in. I can't see AT&T making it actually impossible for a subscriber to buy the iPhone, but if they do then they deserve to lose customers. I am guessing they have more marketing sense than that, but you never know.

I think I'm elegible for an upgrade (I don't think i've ever really used one before), but this still seems like such bad business to me.

I don't understand why you couldn't just get a new 2 year contract or maybe I guess if you have to just extend your contract by 2 years.

I starting to worry about the iphone and about apple in general. After the underwelming iphone specs, the upped data cost, in store activation, and now the fact that a LOT of people won't be able to buy one on launch date? This all adds up to a very underwelming iphone performance... and considering how apple has been spending SO much time focused on the iphone they are (starting) to slack off on other things.

If all these things prove to be true it seems like kind of a bumpy road for apple..

drb6

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2005
Boston, MA
I'm also very confused about what people with current iPhones or on current contracts with AT&T are supposed to do. I chatted with a ATT rep online today and basically she told me that I would have to start a new line/number to get the iPhone and that my current phone is not eligible to be upgraded as I've been with AT&T only two months. The latter part makes sense but I asked whether my contract wouldn't just be extended another two months or two years if I bought an iPhone.

She said no, I would have to get a separate number. Which makes absolutely no sense. When I asked what the full price (sans contract) would be, she said she didn't have that information.

So I think they just haven't figured this part out. As we all know, Apple is very secretive, maybe they started real negotiations with AT&T after the announcement at WWDC. We'll get the full picture around July 11th only.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
I bet

1) You go online...
2) Fill out info..adress/billing/etc for At&T or whatever company
3) you finish this off and get a "ID or code"
4) bring this to the apple store/ att
5) they use this unique code/id and activate your iphone and you pay
6) you walk out and it doenst take long

Jaydhil24

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2008
^it would be nice if apple takes care of it in such a way it would take away all the trouble for the people who are honestly going to purchase the phone and contract.

iPhonedHome

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Dallas
I think I'm elegible for an upgrade (I don't think i've ever really used one before), but this still seems like such bad business to me.

I don't understand why you couldn't just get a new 2 year contract or maybe I guess if you have to just extend your contract by 2 years.

I starting to worry about the iphone and about apple in general. After the underwelming iphone specs, the upped data cost, in store activation, and now the fact that a LOT of people won't be able to buy one on launch date? This all adds up to a very underwelming iphone performance... and considering how apple has been spending SO much time focused on the iphone they are (starting) to slack off on other things.

If all these things prove to be true it seems like kind of a bumpy road for apple..

We all feel your pain regarding the hassle that is getting the phone you want in todays mobile phone market. What most fail to realize is that Apple could give a rats ace about 1gen buyers here in the US because they know that the massive majority of buyers are going to be international and not here in the US for the 3G version. That is why Apple didn't have 3G and GPS in the first one so that all of us suckers in the US who bought it might be drawn to these features in the second one. We want EVERYTHING NOW but in todays business world, products are mapped out for the better part of 4-5 years. If Apple put all the bells and whistles in the iPhone in just it's second year, what else would we have to look forward to.

I'm telling you guys Apple is relying on the (what is it) 21 countries to push the 10 million that they want to sell, not the US.

I'm just really beat by the lack of information regarding plans from AT&T and the lackluster WWDC event for the iPhone 3G. I, like many, were hoping for more hardware upgrades, but it is what it is. I have my iPhone now and personally no longer 'Hyped' about getting the new one.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
""""You must accept AT&T and Apple's Terms and Conditions, as well as select a 3G iPhone Data plan before leaving the store. You can add the $30.00 per month 3G iPhone Unlimited Data (Email-Web) plan that includes Visual Voicemail to your qualifying voice plan."""

So it is true you have to pick a data plan, no voice only for the 3G iPhones? Same thing was said in that internal leaked memo a while back.

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
Reason #3, I'm not eligible for upgrade, and I'd like to get the new 3G Jesus phone. I skipped the OG iPhone :)D) because I didn't feel it had everything I wanted in a phone for $600/$400. However, not knowing when the new one would come out, I purchased a Q on sale during Black Friday. It has the 3G and GPS that I desired, and I got it for a cool $100. Now I would like to get a 3G iPhone on July 11, but it is seeming like this is going to be impossible for any cost.

I understand AT&T wants to make sure that they are making their cash, but I'm already signed up for a 2 year contract and wouldn't have a problem paying the full retail price for the 3G iPhone. AT&T would still be making their money off of me ($110 for a family plan + data + unlimited messaging) and I would have my iPhone. But I guess I won't be participating in this new phone if things pan out the way they appear to be (I'm hoping something changes, but eh). If not, I guess I'll be getting myself an HTC Touch Pro if I can't get a 3G iPhone :(

Wait a second you just got a Q for $100 (obviously a subsidized price there) and you're COMPLAINING now that 9 months later you can't get an iPhone for the subsidized price too?

How about waiting until actual release day and seeing if they actually are willing to work with you on it where you pay the ful price for the iPhone or something rather than just complaining about it here... If it was any other phone, they'd still tell you to go pound sand until you're at least 1 year into the contract....

citron230

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
What does tether, tether cords and unbrick mean?

I take it tether is activating the phone. What is the tether cord and what exactly is unbrick?

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
So anyone who can get a corporate discount through their work is eligible? (only on service)

protekt0r

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
Not true.
Go into any AT&T store and try and BUY any premium phone without a contract. Not gonna happen.
It's not just the iPhone. All their "premium" phones have this restriction.
They list the retail (no contract) price of the phone on their site, but try and buy one. You cannot complete he sale without picking a contract.
AT&T knows you want it, so they will restrict the sales. If you want it bad enough, you will sign the contract.

That's not entirely true either. An authorized retailer or "agent" will more than likely sell you a premium phone at the no-commitment price. I know this 'cause I've done it. But you're right, at&t company owned retail stores won't. And neither will the website...

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
First off, I want to punch the person who wrote that message. (Not the OP) Un-brick !? First off, they need to learn what bricking is. I am getting tired of the wide spread misuse of the word. Ok, done with that rant ...

I wonder how long the process is going to take. I would really rather take the device home and complete the activation there. I am doing an upgrade and a port, so this is going to be interesting. (Going to get my credit check done this weekend)

I am surprised to see the limit of 3. I really hope they have a crap ton stock pile ready to go, at $199 these things are going to go flying out the door.

I wonder what the percentage of models are going to be out there. Last time the 8GB models went really fast, I imagine the white 16GB is going to disappear very fast.

ducky831

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
can i just walk in with my simcard and my iphone account billing? i already sold my iphone thats why

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.