Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 13, 2003
i have a possible deal to trade my powermac g4 867 for a powerbook 12" rev a
good bad?

specs on my machine
quicksilver 867
1.5 gigs ram
ati 9000
AP.C

powerbook
APE.C
max ram
do all models include bluetooth?
867 g4

both machines in good condition

oh and who has the better deal

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
unless you are going to play a lot of games or render big movies, i'd say you got the better deal. the only big difference in the performance is the l3 cache and RAM.

add in the portability/screen and i think PB is a much better deal.

HD/expandability is another issue. if you don't mind sacrificing those, 12" is a pretty sweet machine.

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 13, 2003
my quicksilver doesn't have L3 cache on it

and i have a screen which isn't going in the trade

and i can always daisy chain some firewire hard drives i was planning on using a firewire drive for my pioneer a06

and did all of them have bluetooth?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
oh, i thought all powermac had l3 cache...

ok, then it's a no brainer...

by the way, why does he want to trade??

jevel

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2003
I reckon you've read about the heatissue of the rev. A? Could it be related to that? I would check it out before I do the exchange if I was you.

Apart from that there's no doubt that you're getting the sweeter deal here!

-KJ

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
just be careful and don't get scammed...

you are basically getting the same powered computer, except that you are gaining the portability and while retaining the existing monitor and keyboard/mouse?

sounds pretty darn good to me...

RAM difference is about $200, i imagine. well worth the gain in portability...

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 13, 2003
Originally posted by jevel
I reckon you've read about the heatissue of the rev. A? Could it be related to that? I would check it out before I do the exchange if I was you.

Apart from that there's no doubt that you're getting the sweeter deal here!

-KJ

just thought of something about the heat is it worse then a ti-book 800? because i had one and it overheated like crazy during the summers i had to put a fan on it just so it would stay cool

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by mikeyredk
just thought of something about the heat is it worse then a ti-book 800? because i had one and it overheated like crazy during the summers i had to put a fan on it just so it would stay cool

-mikeyredk

~115 fahrenheit when stressed is considered normal. There are plenty of discussions on this here. You can do a search on it.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
The heat on my 12 isn't bad at most of the time...........but everyone in a while.......i get the urge to make some eggs on the bottom of it. It never affects the computer, no kernal panics, no probs at all, just really fricken hot to the touch.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i think you'd be unhappy with a firewire HD, you'll get really pissed when you're on the road and that file you really need is on the other drive. unless you get a portable drive, which are annoying. for the sake of portability, decide if you can live with the internal HD size, or afford to upgrade it...

pnw

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 13, 2003
Originally posted by paulwhannel
i think you'd be unhappy with a firewire HD, you'll get really pissed when you're on the road and that file you really need is on the other drive. unless you get a portable drive, which are annoying. for the sake of portability, decide if you can live with the internal HD size, or afford to upgrade it...

pnw

but isn't there firewire cases or drives that are bus powered?

jevel

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2003
I use a bus powered Sunsway 2.5'' external harddrive with FW and USB2 connectors. Both are bus powered. That means that I've got 160GB disk on my PB.

-KJ

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
i would go for it, but that is just because i am a big laptop man myself, although I do want a maxed out Powermac sometime... laptops are just so much more convienient. esp since I move around so much in my new Mini Cooper... mini PB, Mini Cooper, so fitting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.