Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple released a pre-release version of iTunes 7.7 for developers tonight. In the Read Me of the iTunes installer is a hint at a previously unannounced iPhone/iPod Touch application:
Use iTunes 7.7 to sync music, video, and more with iPhone 3G, and download applications from the iTunes Store exclusively designed for iPhone and iPod touch with software version 2.0 or later. Also use the new Remote application for iPhone or iPod touch to control iTunes playback from anywhere in your home -- a free download from the App Store.
Apple reveals that they will be offering a free app on the App Store that allows you to remotely control iTunes in your home from your iPhone or iPod Touch. The application will presumably work under Wi-Fi to control playback of iTunes.

Apple has previously patented methods to implement such an iPhone Media remote control.

Article Link

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Ok, I think I am finally getting really excited about the new iPhone/iTunes updates. I was getting so hung up on the missing front camera, but I think this finally gets me over the hump.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
Cool:):cool: Now all :apple:iPod Touch/:apple:iPhone users won't have to shell out for one of those funky plastic iTunes remote things. LOL :D

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Perfect!

I've got my iMac hooked up to my stereo, and that has 4 sets of speakers, including a pair out on my back deck. Now I won't need to run inside during a BBQ or party when a song comes on that nobody likes - just whip out my iPhone and get something good playing :)

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Cool:):cool: Now all :apple:iPod Touch/:apple:iPhone users won't have to shell out for one of those funky plastic iTunes remote things. LOL :D

Apple is smart, pay 19 for plastic remote or 300 for iPod Touch/iPhone. Hmm, apple is good at this buy our hardware model.

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Apple is smart, pay 19 for plastic remote or 300 for iPod Touch/iPhone. Hmm, apple is good at this buy our hardware model.

yeah, but I've been finding it real difficult to make a decent phone call on my $19 remote lately :rolleyes:

MacGohil

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Auckland, NZ
Now just something for the ATV please.

Or is that platform forgotten ;-)

The target device would be running iTunes software. So this should work with Mac iTunes libraries as well as :apple:TV's iTunes.

Now, One more thing.... Can we get Wiimote like functionality for playing games with :apple:TV + iPhone/iTouch.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
I like that really nice of Apple. Soon ATV would be nice. Now how about the stuff we need for work so that we can get rid of these BB and switch.

eastcoastsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2007
yeah, but I've been finding it real difficult to make a decent phone call on my $19 remote lately :rolleyes:

I hope you didn't just refer to the iPhone as a device that makes a decent phone call lol...it's a great little device, but making decent phone calls is not one of its strong points.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

all right free Apple apps! I see a to do list next!

DaSal

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
The Netherlands
iTunes is neat, but it would be amazing to get an Apple TV remote. The standard one is kind of lacking. How awesome would it be to get one with full buttons, plus maybe a quick menu to get you to Movies/TV Shows/etc with just one push (from any other place in the interface)

bigdog1777

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

sweet good thinking apple. I am excited at the possibilities of mobile apps I think we are going to be blown away.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Oh, will they please release a freakin MacMini update already - so that we can make a proper home media server.

Wonder if this will apply to the video catalog in iTunes as well ???

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Apple is pissing me the eff off

You'd think by now they'd at least have 1 test app availible... but NO

All I get for the app store is a "country not supported"

You'd think they want to test the app store before going live....

Pissed, i'd go back to 1.1.4 custom but i like my exchange support too much

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I don't understand.

Why advertise that it's a remote that controls iTunes from anywhere in your home? If you're in your bedroom and your Mac is in your office, how would controlling iTunes remotely benefit you? Or is it assuming your speakers are so loud you would hear iTunes from wherever in the house you are?

Or is that they maybe mean this app gives you remote streaming of iTunes movies and music onto the iPhone? See...that would make sense for ANYWHERE in the house....but why a remote control you can use anywhere?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.