Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
I have a discount on my line now and have a FAN number. Does this mean that I will have to go to a ATT store?

Some other notes from Apple's ongoing retail meetings:
Apple retail stores will not be able to help business customers who wish to move to iPhone 3G. Business customers are categorized as anyone who has a portion (or all of) their wireless bill paid for by their employer, or receives discounts on their mobile phone by working for their employer.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...e_3g_transactions_at_apple_retail_stores.html

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
I don't know about your FAN, but for mine, I can attach the FAN to a preexisting line AFTER the initial purchase/activation.

I plan to go into the Apple Store, if they can't give me the FAN on the spot, just buy the thing, then when I get to work, just go though the FAN site for my job.

:apple::apple:

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
I don't know about your FAN, but for mine, I can attach the FAN to a preexisting line AFTER the initial purchase/activation.

I plan to go into the Apple Store, if they can't give me the FAN on the spot, just buy the thing, then when I get to work, just go though the FAN site for my job

Agree, however I am trying to upgrade and pay the $299 for the upgrade pricing.

moloukhya

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
You raise a good question. I have a FAN# as I receive a student discount through my university (not applying to current iPhone of course) but it shows the FAN# when I log in online. It's a personal account, but does having a FAN# attached make it "business"?

skierdb526

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
i plan on calling the att store about this tomorrow. However I had to call 611 about something else tonight and they connected me to a business associate. so that leads me to believe because I simply have a FAN through a university I am considered a business user. Does this mean besides having to go to at&t friday we will also have to pay 45 dollars per month on data?

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
i plan on calling the att store about this tomorrow. However I had to call 611 about something else tonight and they connected me to a business associate. so that leads me to believe because I simply have a FAN through a university I am considered a business user. Does this mean besides having to go to at&t friday we will also have to pay 45 dollars per month on data?

I called customer service a few minutes ago and they indicated that I can go to the apple store. I will go to a store in the afternoon to see what they have to say.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
This is one of the reasons why I'm going to an AT&T store to avoid the mass hysteria @ the Apple as well as confusion.

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey

I would not think so, but I could be wrong. My FAN page indicated I can get any plan discount, and nothing about changing the plan to a business plan. I don't find anything wrong with them sending you to a business associate. They don't give out FANs to anyone, so they have a vested interest in keeping your school or job happy with them. Thus, you get shuffled to the "better" phone associates than the run-of-the-mill ones.

skierdb526

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
I would not think so, but I could be wrong. My FAN page indicated I can get any plan discount, and nothing about changing the plan to a business plan. I don't find anything wrong with them sending you to a business associate. They don't give out FANs to anyone, so they have a vested interest in keeping your school or job happy with them. Thus, you get shuffled to the "better" phone associates than the run-of-the-mill ones.

good to hear. I see youre located in NJ.. what store are you headed to?

Magico

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
I was told that I had to go to a AT&T store to use my FAN discount and was also told that it would apply to both voice and data.

If I was going to access my corporate email and/or business related applications then I need to get the $45 enterprise plan but if I was only using it for personal use, then I would be able to sign up for $30 personal plan.

ichett

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
I was told that I had to go to a AT&T store to use my FAN discount and was also told that it would apply to both voice and data.

If I was going to access my corporate email and/or business related applications then I need to get the $45 enterprise plan but if I was only using it for personal use, then I would be able to sign up for $30 personal plan.

So...
When you say use your FAN discount, discount on the iphone it self or the plan?
Or do you mean...
Because of your FAN discount you have to go to the ATT store to purchase an iphone?
Im also trying to figure this out, i rather go to Apple store over ATT Store.

bluerazr

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2006
I have a FAN discount right now through UT Southwestern and it makes me feel uneasy about going to an AT&T store to do my iPhone 3G upgrade. I hate going in there because they are not the friendliest crowd around and I can already see the iPhone being sold out in my area. There are two Apple stores within 2 miles from me including the 'preimere' of the city but now I have to trek to either of two nearest AT&T stores that will sell the device closest being 5 miles away. Oh well, I'm sure its bound to be quite an adventure. :rolleyes:

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
So...
Or do you mean...
Because of your FAN discount you have to go to the ATT store to purchase an iphone?

From what I've read, you'll only get a FAN discount on the plan & data, not the phone.

It looks like it will be better for all concerned to go to the AT&T store if you're wanting to get the FAN discount. I'd like to go to the Apple store, but as someone else said in another thread, AT&T activates phones all day, every day, and has been for years. That part is all new for Apple.

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
good to hear. I see youre located in NJ.. what store are you headed to?

Don't know. I'm near the Menlo Park store, but that is one of the small stores (though not as small as Bridgewater...). I might trek to Short Hills or even Tice's Corner for the full Apple Store experience.

But more than likely, I'll go to an AT&T store for the phone itself so I get my job's FAN discount applied properly. Then off to the store for accessories...

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
folks, what is everyone's problem? why not buy iphone at an apple store, go home, call 611 and apply fans via telephone?

please explain. perhaps i'm not understanding something:confused:

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
folks, what is everyone's problem? why not buy iphone at an apple store, go home, call 611 and apply fans via telephone?

please explain. perhaps i'm not understanding something:confused:

Well, if you have experience that it is just that easy, that's one thing. Lots of us are just unsure of the whole process. Also, I kinda like the idea of walking out of the shop, iPhone in hand, and with a contract detailing what I'll be paying monthly with the FAN applied.

And if it makes it all easier, then I'll take that route over the Apple Store Experience, which I can get at any time I like, living less than 3 miles from one.

I know I can go onto the Premier site for my job and apply it later as well (though I only seem to be able to do that FROM my job...).

ichett

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
well my problem is, I already have FAN applied to my account and I don't want to go to the apple store only to be asked to go to the AT&T store.
So my concern is, do I need to go to the AT&T store because of my FAN discount?

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I use to get a discount(wife's old employer) on my family plan with my wife until I converted to the iPhone last year. The bill is paid by us (not the company) and we can log in online and when I do I see her old employer name with the FAN #.

Not sure if anybody can answer, but does this mean I have to go to AT&T Friday?

I had no issues activating last year (I know some had issues because of the FAN # attached to their account last year)

mtfield

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2008
I feel like this is would be a pretty big announcement, many many people have discounts applied already and apple/at&t know this. So unless I see a post on apple.com or an email or something about it i'm pretty sure we will be fine going to apple... I will be going to the apple store (and I have a FAN)... that post on AI can be taken numerous ways... I tend to think it means anyone who wants to apply one that day has to go to at&t, because apple won't have the ability... having a discount on the line doesn't affect anything that apple has to do..

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
I feel like this is would be a pretty big announcement, many many people have discounts applied already and apple/at&t know this. So unless I see a post on apple.com or an email or something about it i'm pretty sure we will be fine going to apple... I will be going to the apple store (and I have a FAN)... that post on AI can be taken numerous ways... I tend to think it means anyone who wants to apply one that day has to go to at&t, because apple won't have the ability... having a discount on the line doesn't affect anything that apple has to do..

That's fine, so long as you already have a plan with an FAN applied. I do not, so it's looking like my best bet, to avoid having to go to two places, would be to go straight to AT&T, do the deal for the phone, and save the extra walking.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
I had AT&T remove the FAN and I am not identified as a Business Customer. Prior to that my account was showing as not eligable for upgrade. After the FAN was taken off I am now showing eligable.

Magico

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
So...
Or do you mean...

Yes, I mean in order to use a FAN discount you have to go to a ATT store to get the discount off the service plan, there is no discount off the IPhone. I even asked at an Apple store and was told the same thing.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
I spent a good deal of time today on the phone with AT&T, who contacted apple and confirmed that if you have a FAN on your account, even if the discounts are not being applied, you will not be able to upgrade at Apple. I had them remove the FAN from my Account today and will apply after I upgrade.

Some other notes from Apple's ongoing retail meetings:
Apple retail stores will not be able to help business customers who wish to move to iPhone 3G. Business customers are categorized as anyone who has a portion (or all of) their wireless bill paid for by their employer, or receives discounts on their mobile phone by working for their employer.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...e_3g_transactions_at_apple_retail_stores.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.