Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moloukhya

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
Not to my knowledge.

I did it over the phone and it was a fast, easy process. The rep was very knowledgable. When he removed it I logged out and back in, and noticed it was already off my online account management screen.

Hope that helps!

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
I just called AT&T to verify if the Fan would work for the 3g iPhone, the guy said it work, but only for the primary account holder. Since, we have the family plan and two additional line wouldn't be off the total balance before tax? I could call again, but I hate waiting :)

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I am convinced AT&T phone associates are morons....

Just called to have them remove the FAN # from my account so I would not have any issues Friday at my local Apple store. 1st I am told "your account is not attached to a FAN" I politely said " Yes I am, it is my wife's company..I can see it when I log in online in the upper right hand corner" At&T rep was like "oh yeah, now I see it." I ask her to remove it so I can go to the Apple Store for my 3g iPhone Friday. She says "well, you are not currently getting a discount" I said "I am aware, it was removed last year when I got my iPhone" She then goes on to say "there is nothing to remove....no number to remove and if there was you can just go to an AT&T store Friday"

Ended up hanging up. All I wanted the rep to was remove the FAN # and company info and she couldn't even do that....Friday is going to be fun.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Why did you remove the Fan discount from your account? I still have mines on because one of the other non iphone still gets the discount. I'm hoping that the Fan discount works, because with the new $20.00 (two iphones) more it wouldn't be as bad with the discount :D

Spiffyis5150

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
The idea is to take the FAN off so as to be able to go to the Apple store and not have to be forced to go to the AT&T store only.

Pete, I posted this in a different thread, might help you feel better about having the FAN on your account. This is a quote from a user from another forum(Howardforums Apple forum):

Quote:
I called the apple store. Background info: I currently have 3 phones, 2 iPhones and 1 Blackjack II. My 2 iPhone lines are eligible for discount upgrade regardless of the fact that all current iPhones being eligible to upgrade. I have a FAN # attached to my account but this is my personal account. My employer does not pay for my phone service and the wireless bill does not go to them.

The Apple store stated that I can upgrade at either ATT or Apple. They can not upgrade corporate accounts where the bill goes direct to the employer or the account contract is with the employer and the employee receives the bill directly regardless of who pays the bill.

I believe from this info that it's clear that if YOUR name(not your company's) is on the contract even if you have a FAN, then you're ok to go to either store. It's the situation where your name is not on the contract that causes the problem with business accounts and thus the requirement to go to the AT&T store.

Clyde099

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
This is a mess.
Doesn't it take one to two billing periods for your FAN discounts to be active again?

I guess I'm going to have to call AT&T, have my FAN removed, and go purchase the iPhone at an Apple store since I want to use my $100 rebate.
:mad:

Magico

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
This was also noted in this thread

Business customers are categorized as anyone who has a portion (or all of) their wireless bill paid for by their employer, or receives discounts on their mobile phone by working for their employer.

I was told yesterday by someone who works at Apple that if I want to use my FAN discount, I would have to go to a ATT store. I am not currently with ATT.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
alright i removed my FAN discount, will add it back on after friday...hopefully i can get it on the data AND voice plan...before i only had it on my voice plan.

Magico

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
alright i removed my FAN discount, will add it back on after friday...hopefully i can get it on the data AND voice plan...before i only had it on my voice plan.

I was told today by a AT&T assistant manger that the FAN discount for my company will apply to both voice and data.

Clyde099

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
I called, told the rep. my situation. Put me on hold, came back and said I could go to the Apple store and get the iPhone. I have a family plan with three line, and a discount applied to the primary phone (iphone).

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
I called, told the rep. my situation. Put me on hold, came back and said I could go to the Apple store and get the iPhone. I have a family plan with three line, and a discount applied to the primary phone (iphone).

Good luck with that, however it is not the fact. The version of OPUS that apple will be using excludes business customer, and yes that includes customer with a FAN, will come up as not eligible.

From what I have been told it was to keep the business customers out of apples view for business reasons.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Just had my FAN # removed as well. It was funny to hear the guy say 'ok sir, that's been removed but just so you know your next bill will probably still be discounted if thats ok?'

Apple store, see ya tomorrow night!

ichett

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
Good luck with that, however it is not the fact. The version of OPUS that apple will be using excludes business customer, and yes that includes customer with a FAN, will come up as not eligible.

From what I have been told it was to keep the business customers out of apples view for business reasons.

Just because you have FAN doesn't qualify you as a business customer.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
True, but the information I got from our ATT Contact who set me up with our companies FAN was that you are required to make any new hardware purchases at an AT&T retail store and she advised against going to the Apple store as she said they would not be able to activate you. Do what you want with that... I just had my FAN removed. I even called 611 again to make sure I wasn't transferred to business support like I had been previously... now I'm not.

Just because you have FAN doesn't qualify you as a business customer.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
The idea is to take the FAN off so as to be able to go to the Apple store and not have to be forced to go to the AT&T store only.

Pete, I posted this in a different thread, might help you feel better about having the FAN on your account. This is a quote from a user from another forum(Howardforums Apple forum):

I believe from this info that it's clear that if YOUR name(not your company's) is on the contract even if you have a FAN, then you're ok to go to either store. It's the situation where your name is not on the contract that causes the problem with business accounts and thus the requirement to go to the AT&T store.

Thanks, I hope this is the case because I don't want to go to AT&T friday

KD110

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
I believe that the only advantage to keeping your FAN and buying at the att store is that if your account gives you free upgrade or activation (18 or $36) you will not get charged for this - I was told in the att store I would get 20% for my FAN but when I signed on last night, found it only giving me 5% (but free activation), so I'll deal with the att store and take the $18 and put it towards an accessory...

jfreak623

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
I just called and talked to a business care rep

she confirmed with me that i will get a 10% discount on both data AND Voice and I will also recieve 30% off the device. I even had her send me the e-mail so I had something to back up what she told me. So i am def getting the new one now. $199 - 30% and 69.99 - 10% and im not paying much more per month than i am now without the discount!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.