Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylelong100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
I am reluctant to buy an iphone 3g because the macbook air is better than the iphone.

I carry the macbook air with me all the time. I have 3g connection using a simple motorola razr.

Besides iphone is always online, is there any other reason to get an iphone if you have MBA with you?

n0de

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Because one has internet and voice service (nearly everywhere there is GSM service) and zero boot time; the other has a full size keyboard, screen and runs full applications (but needs to be near wifi).

watergun

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
I wouldn't use my MBA to access internet on the crowded subway rides...as small and as thin as it is. I would tho with iPhone 3G.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Kinda lost with this. :confused: :confused:

So, what you are saying is: "It's better to have one product to replace a completely different product that doesn't even fill the other products purpose?"

Not trying to sound mean, but one is a notebook, the other a phone. Apples and oranges.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I find your point of argument quite pathetic, a computer is different than a phone, can your MBA make calls? And don't feed me some Vonage crap or something like that. And can the MBA fit in the typical person's pocket? Does the MBA have a touch screen? Does the MBA have GPS? ect, ect, ect, it comes down to the point that the MBA is a computer and the iPhone is a phone (and an amazing one at that), these points are nearly endless.

accrane

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
Orlando
the iphone is nice because you can whip it out of your pocket anywhere such as the waiting room of a doctors office. You wouldnt take your air into such a place...

Goldcard

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
St. Paul, MN
Well, should you keep your razr then if you have a macbook air?

According to your point, or lack of a point at all, no.

I hate to sound mean but every day I am amazed at the threads found in the macbook air forums (and iphone). After reading some of these I never fail to think that I will never get these two minutes of my life back again. If only there was some sort of warning in the title! :confused:

ducatidoc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
hee, hee, hee

of course we need both. without an iphone, how else can we watch youtube?

:-D

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I actually ask myself the opposite question...

Since I have a iPhone.. do I really need an MBA?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I actually ask myself the opposite question...

Since I have a iPhone.. do I really need an MBA?

I am still going to carry the portable around. As long as AT&T are behind in their 3G rollout, and the iPhone's battery is better spent using the phone feature, and WiFi is still faster, and the MB screen is 13" not 3.5" there will always be that trusty companion Mac Book around.

grandeabc

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
I have both an iMac and a MacBook Air. Now, here in Japan, I'm thinking to sell my MacBook Air to a friend, then I'll keep only the iMac and the new iPhone 3G. I bought the MacBook Air in february, and the iMac las Week, then I can assume that at home, I'm using 99% of time the iMac only. So, the MacBook Air is a little useless for me, and during the Week, I do not have time and place to boot my MacBook Air. Other hand, if I have an iPhone 3G I will YES use it at the office, or at the trains, etc. This means, the MacBook AIr can be used only a feel times duiring the Weekend, but it's not a good investment only for this purpose. If you use your MacBook Air at the Office, is another history...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.