Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 12, 2008, 06:18 PM   #1
annamontana412
macrumors newbie

How do I change the Apple ID used for the App Store and iTunes?

My friend recently bought a new iPhone 3G and she used my computer to set up her phone. Now, when she tries to buy songs or Apps from her iPhone, my Apple ID account is the one that shows up and asks for my password. How does she change this so it's her own account being used on her phone?

Last edited by annamontana412; Jul 12, 2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: grammatical error
annamontana412 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Gamst
macrumors regular

Has she tried signing in on itunes and then syncing?
Gamst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 04:22 AM   #3
TheEqualizer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamontana412 View Post
My friend recently bought a new iPhone 3G and she used my computer to set up her phone. Now, when she tries to buy songs or Apps from her iPhone, my Apple ID account is the one that shows up and asks for my password. How does she change this so it's her own account being used on her phone?
Go into "App Store" on the iPhone, tap Categories. Scroll down until you reach the bottom of Categories. You will find the 'Accoount' button. Tap and logout. Login if the new ID.
TheEqualizer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Moi un Mouton
macrumors 68000

iPhone -> Settings -> App Store -> Sign Out -> Sign In
Moi un Mouton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:00 PM   #5
ramalm
macrumors newbie

Really Weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEqualizer View Post
Go into "App Store" on the iPhone, tap Categories. Scroll down until you reach the bottom of Categories. You will find the 'Accoount' button. Tap and logout. Login if the new ID.

Ok, my wife accidentally typed in the wrong login information for the app store. we have logged out/in under the real name, reset phone, and synced with itunes. When she downloads new apps it works under the new login info, but the update app part of the icon still uses the old misspelled login info... so, it won't let her update downloaded apps, but allows her to download new ones. weird.. Thanks in advance.
ramalm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:08 PM   #6
me.s
macrumors newbie

if those ideas don't work. it is because she synced her phone to your computer while logged into your itunes account. if she has her own account just sign out of your account on the computer and sign in to her account on the computer then resync the iphone.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:36 AM   #7
mohanchandra
macrumors newbie

App Store Id change

I got a new IPhone 4g, I registered the appstore with my frnds Id,
I changed it now to my ID in Appstore catogories and in settings, but when I try to update the softwares in app store it still asks for old id(my frnds id)....

Plz could any one help on thisss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mohanchandra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Motoservo
macrumors newbie

IDs are attached to individual apps not App Store

After researching this issue for awhile I found the solution in another forum. My issue was a little different than most users in that anytime I try to Update All I get two prompts in a row, both of them expired email addresses.

The way to solve this is by updating each app one-at-a-time. For any apps that were purchased with an account that you're no longer using, you will get a prompt (something along the line of) "This upgrade price is only for previously purchased apps, do you want to buy?".

I said yes to that question as my apps were all free. I got the end of the list and now everything seems fine. If you are updating purchased apps you'll have to figure out the consequences to this approach, or another approach, but at least now you'll know why the old accounts keep popping up when you run an Update All.
Motoservo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:12 AM   #9
Bnar Shredder
macrumors newbie

wrong apple id

Thanks. Apparently I have 2 apple id's. I'm not sure how that happened. I had one with my regular e-mail address and one with my me.com address. Weird. Anyway, just entered the old password for my other address and it worked. I guess I'll have this issue every time I update apps purchased or downloaded under my old apple id?
Bnar Shredder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:37 PM   #10
Someonehelpme
macrumors newbie

Please help me, i have read through this forum and tried all of the above. However it still isnt working! Basically i have bought the iphone 4 off my friend and when i try and update all my app in the app store, it comes up with his apple id looking for his password. I want my apple id to come up instead.
I have synced my iphone on itunes and inserted my apple id. I have also done this on settings too AND at the signed in and out with the bottom of the page on the app store! Is there anyway i can do this? Please help me, really want to get my phone up and running well before i go on holiday in a couple weeks! Thanks x
Someonehelpme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:52 PM   #11
ipsychedelic
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someonehelpme View Post
I have synced my iphone on itunes and inserted my apple id.
Did you do a fresh restore, then synched via iTunes?
Could be in your phone, the apps of your friend still live there with his payload (user info).
ipsychedelic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:40 PM   #12
Someonehelpme
macrumors newbie

Ahhh right i'll try that, thank you very much!
Someonehelpme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:03 PM   #13
Capricorn14
macrumors newbie

Let's make it a little more difficult, not only did we change our email provider, for my old apple id we used the old email address and this is where apple sends messages (none of which arrive of course). Subsequently one of my kids changed the password and doesn't know it anymore. Thus, all old apps cannot be updated. Anyone?
Capricorn14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:00 PM   #14
Eby
macrumors newbie

The apple ID on my iPhone was not even created by me so there is no way I can have the password. I bought this iPhone new with all the applications installed by a chistanley85@yahoo.com. Is this like a default apple ID that comes with a new iPhone?
Eby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:37 AM   #15
lapocompris
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eby View Post
The apple ID on my iPhone was not even created by me so there is no way I can have the password. I bought this iPhone new with all the applications installed by a chistanley85@yahoo.com. Is this like a default apple ID that comes with a new iPhone?
No, maybe those are cracked app.
lapocompris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:42 AM   #16
marqeeman
macrumors newbie

Got a new phone 3gs, did the whole apple ID thing all going good, there's no apps under the old ID, the last app that was downloaded (heytell) has an update, went to do it and its asked for the old ID, logged out and back in checked everything, its all running with the new ID. Help!?!?
marqeeman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:01 PM   #17
sljester
macrumors newbie

Apple ID & updating Apps

Hi, new here, and thanks in advance for all your help. I have a concern similar to "Motoservo." My iTunes ID is my full email address, but my phone (4S w/IOS6) originally had just my user name for the ID (it now shows the full address & accepts the current password). When I try to update apps that were acquired under the original ID, the prompt for my password will not accept any ID, either current or past. I have tried all of the fixes Motoservo and others, suggested (I didn't get the messages he/she did) and have gone so far as to restore factory defaults with no change, when I try to update, the screen still shows the old ID and won't accept any password. I do understand that the ID is tied to the app (it would be nice it the password was too).
Now, my iTunes shows that there are apparently updates to the apps in question on my computer, but so far no syncing, or any action I can find will let me transfer those updates to my phone.
Any thoughts/suggestions? Short of deleting the app and reinstalling it that is, (which I guess is the next option)?

Thanks again.
sljester is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:26 PM   #18
ipsychedelic
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sljester View Post
Hi, new here, and thanks in advance for all your help. I have a concern similar to "Motoservo." My iTunes ID is my full email address, but my phone (4S w/IOS6) originally had just my user name for the ID (it now shows the full address & accepts the current password). When I try to update apps that were acquired under the original ID, the prompt for my password will not accept any ID, either current or past. I have tried all of the fixes Motoservo and others, suggested (I didn't get the messages he/she did) and have gone so far as to restore factory defaults with no change, when I try to update, the screen still shows the old ID and won't accept any password. I do understand that the ID is tied to the app (it would be nice it the password was too).
Now, my iTunes shows that there are apparently updates to the apps in question on my computer, but so far no syncing, or any action I can find will let me transfer those updates to my phone.
Any thoughts/suggestions? Short of deleting the app and reinstalling it that is, (which I guess is the next option)?

Thanks again.
I don't quite understand the issue but I don't get why you talk about the "phone". I would just backup that phone and restore, and not try to update via itself, just iTunes.
Now, when you try to update via iTunes, for the apps that still have the "old ID" you can't get past the password screen, is that what it is?
If so, you could try checking the "Purchases" tab on iTunes and then searching for those particular "old" apps and try re-downloading them to see if they would be now tied to your "new ID" (in theory, when you switch emails on a given Apple ID, the account stays the same). If you cannot re-download (e.g app on iTunes is the latest version), I'd try deleting the IPA (in iTunes Mobile Applications folder), re-opening iTunes and then you could re-download.
ipsychedelic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:53 AM   #19
Jpeck206
macrumors newbie

Only solution that worked for me is to delete the app and then repurchase it. As long as your Apple ID is set on your IPhone the app will now be repurchased under it. If the app is free no problem. If it has a fee you will be charged again which sucks. Apparently when you buy apps it retains the ID at that time and there is no way to "un-link" it from the app so when you change IDs it won't allow you to update the app under the new ID. I suspect that Apple is aware of this problem as many people now have it. They should eventually work up a way to identify multiple iDs for an account or to require that you delete the old ID or some fix to this problem.

Last edited by Jpeck206; Jan 24, 2013 at 07:03 AM.
Jpeck206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:45 AM   #20
theslaz
macrumors 6502

I was going to start a new thread; but found this one and it appears to be in regards to my problem also.
My wife was the first in the household to purchase a Mac. She set up her iCloud account in her name. My iPhone 4 was set up with my wife’s iCloud account. I have now purchased a mac and I have set up a iCloud account in my name. My problem is; I want my calendar on my Mac to sync with the calendar on my iPhone 4. I’ve gone into settings on the iPhone and tried to sign into iCloud with my information; however; it won’t let me change any of the iCloud account information; which is that of my wife’s! I’ve gone into the “app store” and signed out of my wife’s account and signed into my account; but when i go back to settings/Icloud; it still shows as using my wife’s account.
What am I doing wrong?
theslaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:53 AM   #21
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslaz View Post
I was going to start a new thread; but found this one and it appears to be in regards to my problem also.
My wife was the first in the household to purchase a Mac. She set up her iCloud account in her name. My iPhone 4 was set up with my wife’s iCloud account. I have now purchased a mac and I have set up a iCloud account in my name. My problem is; I want my calendar on my Mac to sync with the calendar on my iPhone 4. I’ve gone into settings on the iPhone and tried to sign into iCloud with my information; however; it won’t let me change any of the iCloud account information; which is that of my wife’s! I’ve gone into the “app store” and signed out of my wife’s account and signed into my account; but when i go back to settings/Icloud; it still shows as using my wife’s account.
What am I doing wrong?
Under the iCloud panel in Settings, you must scroll to the bottom and select Delete Account. Your wife's iCloud account will be deleted off of your phone, and you can proceed to sign into your account.
Tyler23 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:18 AM   #22
theslaz
macrumors 6502

Thanks for your prompt reply. I tried what you suggested and it worked. Took a few minutes for the calendar to sync; but it did.

Thank you.
theslaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 02:20 AM   #23
Nehjhen
macrumors newbie

H

----------

How about for an ipodtouch 4th gen.. How can i change the username for appstore? Thanks..
Nehjhen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting