Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've got the console version running on one WU since yesterday. It seems fine.

Check my threads on the beta version for the changes.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Is it just me or is Folding version 4 actually faster on Mac OS X than it is on Windows XP now? I just installed version 4 both on my PowerBook G4 1.25 GHz and on the Dell P4 2.8 GHz both an hour and a half ago and my PowerBook is at 20.8% and the Dell is just at 12%. This sure is a surprising and welcome change.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
I am running V3.25 and would like to have V4 also. I installed V3.25 with the app of mc68. How kan you upgrade to v4? I have tried to download the text version for os X from stanford, and replaces the file OSX - 3.25 with the file downloaded, but no luck. Anyone know this?

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Not sure how to work with the text version, but the graphical client comes with an installer that makes it real easy to set up. I definitely recommend it. It appears to take approximately 5 minutes per every % on my G4, so at this rate, I could turn out two WUs a day if I ran it continuously.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Dreadnought
I am running V3.25 and would like to have V4 also. I installed V3.25 with the app of mc68. How kan you upgrade to v4? I have tried to download the text version for os X from stanford, and replaces the file OSX - 3.25 with the file downloaded, but no luck. Anyone know this?

mc68k needs to change the scripts to work with the new client when he gets a chance.

mc68k:

If you want, I can work on them for you.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Thanks guys,
I think I will take the graphical interface for now, if it's not too demanding of my mac (G3 B&W 400). I quit folding a while ago because everything got really slow because of it. Installed the app from mc68k and it doesn't slows anything down.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
If you HAVE run the Console version in the Past... be sure that is STILL ISN'T RUNNING:
When you install v4.

In that case folding will slow itself down...

2 Instances of Folding = Bad

I'm sticking to mc68k/bous script... fast enough for me.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
there is a new switch with v4 that will make it so i dont have to manually set up names and teams anymore...the key is finding the time

in a few weeks time ill much rather work on this than do boring schoolwork. right now im enjoying myself :)

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Originally posted by MrMacman
If you HAVE run the Console version in the Past... be sure that is STILL ISN'T RUNNING:
When you install v4.

In that case folding will slow itself down...

2 Instances of Folding = Bad

I'm sticking to mc68k/bous script... fast enough for me.

Have tried it, but it started folding on a new protein. So I quit the console version and went on with the terminal! So, have to keep on folding with V3.25!! And goodluck MC68K for updating, hopefully you'll get around to it soon!

jbeetz

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
Originally posted by mc68k
there is a new switch with v4 that will make it so i dont have to manually set up names and teams anymore...the key is finding the time

in a few weeks time ill much rather work on this than do boring schoolwork. right now im enjoying myself :)

mc...

What I did, because I have an ancient B&W G3 350 and was curious about the v4 "speedup" was to change my .login to:

alias start 'cd ~/Desktop; ./fah4 -local > /dev/null &'
alias stop 'killall fah4'

alias work '~/.work'

alias rid '~/.rid'

alias pause 'killall -STOP -m "FahCore*"'
alias resume 'killall -CONT -m "FahCore*"'

This partially accounts for the default fah4 installation which tells you to place the fah4 on your desktop which in turn is where everything is installed.

Then I changed .work to:

#!/bin/tcsh
# 2003.04.30 Changed to use folder structure implemented by CEB
# 2003.05.01 Change to support Gromacs log file
# 2004.01.09 Change to support default fah4 installation
# show the logfile contents
echo 'Start of data'
echo
echo 'Process 1'
cd ~/Desktop
cat unitinfo.txt
foreach file (FAHlog.txt)
awk '/Protein/' $file
awk '/Remaining/' $file
tail $file|awk '/[Ff]rame/'
tail $file|awk '/Completed/'
end
# also list the file .arc file for time
# ls -l *.arc
echo
echo 'End of data'
echo
cd

which again, was intended to mimic directory structures and filename (SINGULAR) for the log file. This won't support multiple log files!!! I couldn't help adding in the unitinfo.txt file, as it tells you when the file is due.

Then, for the last step, I redirected the cron startup to:

@reboot cd ~/Desktop; ./fah4 -local

Please note that if you want to rid yourself of fah4, I have not "fixed" that command! I don't know if start, stop, pause or resume will work either, but they looked right so I didn't mess with them.

I think the only thing I "did" was to make the directories match what the stanford fah4 installation actually does.

And I think it's working... but would love to stand corrected if it's foobar.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Could you please translate that in normal English?! LOL :D

So, if I understand correctly, your folding app from MC68K now supports Version 4 from Stanford? Couldn't we just all get back to os 9 and forget about all that unix/linux and whatever in os X?! Or I really should start to learn these languages!!

Edit: BTW, I finished my first WU today for team 3446, and got 23 points for it! Not bad for folding for about 90 hours... Also got 2 more certificates (for 1 WU), they are really given these things for everything!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by jbeetz

Then I changed .work to:

#!/bin/tcsh
# 2003.04.30 Changed to use folder structure implemented by CEB
# 2003.05.01 Change to support Gromacs log file
# 2004.01.09 Change to support default fah4 installation
# show the logfile contents
echo 'Start of data'
echo
echo 'Process 1'
cd ~/Desktop
cat unitinfo.txt
foreach file (FAHlog.txt)
awk '/Protein/' $file
awk '/Remaining/' $file
tail $file|awk '/[Ff]rame/'
tail $file|awk '/Completed/'
end
# also list the file .arc file for time
# ls -l *.arc
echo
echo 'End of data'
echo
cd

which again, was intended to mimic directory structures and filename (SINGULAR) for the log file. This won't support multiple log files!!! I couldn't help adding in the unitinfo.txt file, as it tells you when the file is due.

Well, since I created the statistics pieces that you've changed in .work, I will offer a little something.

The way you've changed it to use FAHlog.txt, you can remove the foreach and end plus $file within the loop can be replaced with FAHlog.txt. I'm not suggesting this be done for anyone else because it is only for this modification. The foreach loop was meant to work (and has successfully) even if you had multiple logfiles. You should remove the extra logfiles anyway. Also, you should probably use awk to isolate the line with the deadline information.

jbeetz

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
Originally posted by bousozoku
The way you've changed it to use FAHlog.txt, you can remove the foreach and end plus $file within the loop can be replaced with FAHlog.txt. I'm not suggesting this be done for anyone else because it is only for this modification. The foreach loop was meant to work (and has successfully) even if you had multiple logfiles. You should remove the extra logfiles anyway. Also, you should probably use awk to isolate the line with the deadline information.

Good points. This was a Q&D effort on my part to say the least.

Dread... the change to the cron file is enough to get v4 running at boot time. The changes to the .work and .login files are so that the "work" and "start" commands will work like the original author(s) intended. And if you want "archane", ask how one uses vi to edit the files!

I did this primarily because my family shares the computer, and they tend to leave it at the login screen. I wanted to see if I installed everything as root if it would fold while the login screen was up, and I think it does. I'll run it tonight with nobody logged in and see if any progress is made. The old 350MHz B&W G3 needs all the folding time it can get.

jbeetz

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
Yep, it folds while the login screen is up. This should help! The trick is to have root be the "folder" as root's processes launch whenever X is running (it appears!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.