Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goblin2099

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
New York City
Core 1.53 was the supercore sent to speed up all macs by insane proportions

Core 1.54 was to fix things up to work with the new client.

Core 1.55 had "no visible change in it, but an improvement on the science side, with support added for an exciting method which trades some accuracy for a large increase in speed (this won't be noticeable from work unit times, though, as the simulation time covered by a single work unit will be longer in projects using this method). No need to manually delete your current core; whenever the first project assigning units utlizing that method begins, that server will force an update. In relation to units not utilizing that method, the core is unchanged from 1.54. -Guha"

[04:59:26] *------------------------------*
[04:59:26] Folding@home Gromacs Core
[04:59:26] Version 1.56 (December 23, 2003)

Anybody know what's new? I'm going about 1 minute faster per step (3% speedup), but that might be because of my comp and not a performance update

(on a sidenote: We're Twenty-One! We're Twenty-One!)

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I'm happy a the We're 21 thing first.

I've been using this 'new' core for a few days.

I haven't heard about it yet either...

Ah well, they will release some core notes.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I didn't notice anything on the Stanford forums about it specifically.

#20 is coming--31,000+ points to go. :)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by bousozoku
I didn't notice anything on the Stanford forums about it specifically.

#20 is coming--31,000+ points to go. :)

Less then 2 days work at our current rate.

I looked back through my logs and the same time I got the 1.56 core I got a couple tinker units. Guess that explains my drop in performance for a couple days.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Vlade
It actually slowed down my current unit from about 12:20 per % to about 12:30... odd

You may want to adjust the checkpoint times. The default is 15 minutes, but with client version 3.25, the core was only checkpointing on the whole percent.

The checkpoint interval can be found in the advanced options of the console client.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by bousozoku
You may want to adjust the checkpoint times. The default is 15 minutes, but with client version 3.25, the core was only checkpointing on the whole percent.

The checkpoint interval can be found in the advanced options of the console client.

I have the 4.00 beta, and kept the same checkpoint. I am pretty sure that the program reports being done with frames every 1%, but only writes to files every ABC minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.