Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
So today I was arguing with my new computer teacher about Apple and Microsoft and he said that Microsoft owns 51% of Apple!!!!11!!!!!!!1!!!!!1!!1
Is that true?

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Not in the slightest whatsoever. MS bought 150 million worth of shares in Apple back in 1997, these were non voting shares meaning they had no control over the company, these shares amounted to nowhere near 51%, and all of these shares were sold.

Your teacher is an idiot.

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL
So today I was arguing with my new computer teacher about Apple and Microsoft and he said that Microsoft owns 51% of Apple!!!!11!!!!!!!1!!!!!1!!1
Is that true?

If that was the case. than the iPhone3g would have windows mobile on it and would suck hardcore. lol

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Not in the slightest whatsoever. MS bought 150 million worth of shares in Apple back in 1997, these were non voting shares meaning they had no control over the company, these shares amounted to nowhere near 51%, and all of these shares were sold.

Your teacher is an idiot.

I believe their shares made up about 5% of the company at the time.

But as you mention, they were non-voting rights.

Still, they made quite a nice profit on the sale of those shares ;)

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
I believe their shares made up about 5% of the company at the time.

But as you mention, they were non-voting rights.

Still, they made quite a nice profit on the sale of those shares ;)

I would imagine so! What was Apple's share price back, then? Couldn't have been more than the 10's - 30's. If they were $30 per share back then, that's 5,000,000 shares. If they sold all those shares in May/Juneish, they would have made about 800 mil on just those shares O_O...

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
@Everyone!

THANK YOU!
Tomorrow I'm going to show this thread to my teacher.
He's going to get PWND!!!@!!!!11!!!!!!!!!1

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
@Everyone!

THANK YOU!

Well if that's the case...

*Ahem*

Your teacher is an ignorant fool who has no place teaching computers to senior citizens let alone the future generations of computer users who in about 6 months time will know more than him anyway.

If he's so ignorant to be stating blatant lies rather than saying "I don't know, let me look into it" then he should not be in a position of trust.

What a joke. He probably thinks the world is flat, dinosaurs are a plot by the devil and the earth is 6000 years old.

To be sprouting such nonsense in a school environment is ridiculous. Research and have the correct information at hand before you make a statement.

I guess his idea of teaching is to listen to stuff his mates have said and repeat it back to the class. If that's how people are taught over there then I submit the following into the curriculum: Johnno, my mate, did enthusiastically take part in intercourse with 6 internationally renowned supermodels. I believe this because he told me and because he told me it must be true. If this statement is true then it can be taught in schools.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
@Everyone!

THANK YOU!
No no no. Don't do this at all.

Instead, do this.

- Act surprised that you didn't know this.

- Be positive, like it is cool.

- Then say you are interested in finding out more about the history of the two companies.

- Ask him for some recommended books that you can read on the subject.

- Wait a couple of days, and then ask him for some sources about Microsoft owning 51% of Apple.

- Then watch him squirm.

More fun this way. :)

Your teacher is an ignorant fool who has no place teaching computers to senior citizens let alone the future generations of computer users who in about 6 months time will know more than him anyway.
Agree.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
No no no. Don't do this at all.

Instead, do this.

- Act surprised that you didn't know this.

- Be positive, like it is cool.

- Then say you are interested in finding out more about the history of the two companies.

- Ask him for some recommended books that you can read on the subject.

- Wait a couple of days, and then ask him for some sources about Microsoft owning 51% of Apple.

- Then watch him squirm.

More fun this way. :)

Agree.

And then I should show him this after he has no excuses.
=P

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
ugh who really cares. being misinformed about apple isnt a huge deal. i often wonder how these convos get started in the first place.

were you goin on how great macs are? if so, why?

It matters because he was hung up on it and kept talking about it.
And I was sort a saying differences and advantages between OSX and Windows.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
It matters because he was hung up on it and kept talking about it.
And I was sort a saying differences and advantages between OSX and Windows.

that's where youre wrong. it doesnt matter

there are enough ignorant people that its too tiresome to argue

usually what i do with any type of argument that is trivial, ill let the person think whatever they want and just not engage in any type of debate. I mean even if the person is wrong or whatnot, id rather keep good relations with that person than being known as the argumentative person and not getting along with him

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
that's where youre wrong. it doesnt matter

there are enough ignorant people that its too tiresome to argue

usually what i do with any type of argument that is trivial, ill let the person think whatever they want and just not engage in any type of debate. I mean even if the person is wrong or whatnot, id rather keep good relations with that person than being known as the argumentative person and not getting along with him

Well I didn't start it.
And that's the thing, I often argue just for the sake of arguing, like right now. XD
But it's not like he hates Apple, when he said that it just really upset and confused me.
It made me think that everything I new was obsolete and I wasn't as close with Apple as I thought I was.

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2006
... and I wasn't as close with Apple as I thought I was.

Do you know Jon Ive personally or something? :rolleyes:

it's good to have tasteful discussions with your teachers, it lets them know you are interested. As long as you are polite about it.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Well I didn't start it.
And that's the thing, I often argue just for the sake of arguing, like right now. XD
But it's not like he hates Apple, when he said that it just really upset and confused me.
It made thing that everything I new was obsolete and I wasn't as close with Apple as I thought I was.

lol yea never a good feeling. kinda off topic but i always find it amusing that we have scientists today, esp the theoretical ones, who believe in there theory with all their might and dedicate their life to proving that theory........only to see a scientific paradigm shift. think how depressing that would be

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
lol yea never a good feeling. kinda off topic but i always find it amusing that we have scientists today, esp the theoretical ones, who believe in there theory with all their might and dedicate their life to proving that theory........only to see a scientific paradigm shift. think how depressing that would be

So you see what I mean. =)
If I he didn't say that I probably would have just kept saying positive things about both companies but no, he made me argue with him in front of the whole class. D:

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Just to avoid any more bickering, I think he was calling you're teacher a retard, and maybe you possibly for believing him.

My teacher isn't a stupid person.
He actually used to work for Apple. XD
But he also might have been ill informed.
I highly doubt he would just lie to me for no reason on the first day of school.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
My teacher isn't a stupid person.
He actually used to work for Apple. XD
But he also might have been ill informed.
I highly doubt he would just lie to me for no reason on the first day of school.

Don't ever anger or humiliate your teacher. VERY BAD IDEA--ESPECIALLY IN COLLEGE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.