Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Well I'm only a sophomore in high school.
And he made me feel stupid by "proving me wrong."
When thanks to this thread, I now know he's wrong.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Your teacher! :p

Unless you thought that Microsoft owned 51% of :apple: as well...

Roflcopter.
Nope, I didn't really believe him.
That's one of the reasons I made this thread.
If I do show him this though he will feel so stupid.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
well, in his defense he is probably like 12. he's just pumped right now, weren't you once?

DAMMIT!
I'm not 12!
People on here have mistaken me for someone younger before.
I've often been called 10 many times and immature often.
The class I'm taking is computer repair, web design, and PC troubleshooting.
My school system sucks so they combined all those into one class.
If you must know, I'm 15, turn 16 on September 25th, and I'm a sophomore.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Don't ever anger or humiliate your teacher. VERY BAD IDEA--ESPECIALLY IN COLLEGE.

Heh. I did this once. I had a prof in my computer systems class in second-year engineering. He made some comment, I don't even remember what it was anymore -- something about math coprocessors on Intel 80486 chips or something. Whatever it was, it was wrong, and I called him on it. He made some wisecrack that shut me down in front of the whole class (of like 200 people). But I persisted, looked it up when I got home, and emailed him a link. The next day he apologized to me in front of the whole class.

He turned out to be one of my favourite profs!

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Heh. I did this once. I had a prof in my computer systems class in second-year engineering. He made some comment, I don't even remember what it was anymore -- something about math coprocessors on Intel 80486 chips or something. Whatever it was, it was wrong, and I called him on it. He made some wisecrack that shut me down in front of the whole class (of like 200 people). But I persisted, looked it up when I got home, and emailed him a link. The next day he apologized to me in front of the whole class.

He turned out to be one of my favourite profs!

That's what part of my plan is.
He made me look so stupid and in front of everyone.:mad:

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
51% of Apple. If that was the case, why is the bite  not 51%. Argue with that and don't back down!

joking.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
They were non-voting shares, and they've been sold since 1997. Microsoft no longer owns any of Apple (at least directly. It's probable some of the banks that take hold of their money are investing in Apple. Banks don't keep much cash).

Microsoft is actually making a lot of money from Apple. The MacBU is one of the most profitable businesses in Microsoft (that is, that there's the greatest return of investment as a %age. It's far and away not the most profitable in terms of absolute figures). With the whole Vista fiasco, Microsoft need the cash injection they get from the MacBU. The increasing popularity of Mac hardware is also vital in selling new licenses via BootCamp.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
If your teacher demands proof, give him this url:

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-202143.html

Thanks for the link!
I'll probably show him that.

Your teach's a weirdo!

First a paper on "Which is better: Apple or Msft"
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/541614/
Now this!!!

The two aren't related.

Last time I was righting a paper about Apple but I didn't know much detail, especially about the early days.

This is just to see if he was right and to settle something.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
lol yea never a good feeling. kinda off topic but i always find it amusing that we have scientists today, esp the theoretical ones, who believe in there theory with all their might and dedicate their life to proving that theory........only to see a scientific paradigm shift. think how depressing that would be

It's not depressing at all, really. Richard Dawkins talks of his all-time favourite moment in College. He had a professor who worked on a theory for fifteen years. All these people came and tried to prove his theory wrong, but none could. Then, an American scientist came over, and showed everything he had been working on to be wrong. His teacher strode to the front of the room, shook the man's hand and said "Thank you. I've been wrong all these years, and now I know." and the whole class applauded. I love that story :)

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
The biggest shareholder in Apple is actually Barclays Global Investors UK Holdings Ltd who hold 36,260,761 shares which is around 4%. The biggest direct shareholder is Steve Jobs with 5,546,451 shares.
Interestingly, Barclays Global Investors UK are also the biggest institutional shareholder in Microsoft, although Bill Gates and Steve Balmer both hold more shares than they do.

See here for more info

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Well if that's the case...

*Ahem*

Your teacher is an ignorant fool who has no place teaching computers to senior citizens let alone the future generations of computer users who in about 6 months time will know more than him anyway.

If he's so ignorant to be stating blatant lies rather than saying "I don't know, let me look into it" then he should not be in a position of trust.

What a joke. He probably thinks the world is flat, dinosaurs are a plot by the devil and the earth is 6000 years old.

To be sprouting such nonsense in a school environment is ridiculous. Research and have the correct information at hand before you make a statement.

I guess his idea of teaching is to listen to stuff his mates have said and repeat it back to the class. If that's how people are taught over there then I submit the following into the curriculum: Johnno, my mate, did enthusiastically take part in intercourse with 6 internationally renowned supermodels. I believe this because he told me and because he told me it must be true. If this statement is true then it can be taught in schools.

Dang... freakout anyone?? This one only gets 3.5/5, Ive heard better from you lol

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
Dang... freakout anyone?? This one only gets 3.5/5, Ive heard better from you lol

At least the person is not an economics or marketing professor.

As for your teacher. It would be best to not use this site as evidence, but to google it on your own and get the facts. Then tell her/him what you found. Maybe they were testing you. You never know.
-CFS

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The biggest shareholder in Apple is actually Barclays Global Investors UK Holdings Ltd who hold 36,260,761 shares which is around 4%. The biggest direct shareholder is Steve Jobs with 5,546,451 shares.

Last I heard, Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal owned about 5% of Apple. He bought in about ten years ago -- so the amount of money he made is almost unfathomable. Not sure if he still owns the Apple shares or whether he turned them into a solid gold mansion.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
ugh who really cares. being misinformed about apple isnt a huge deal. i often wonder how these convos get started in the first place.

It's simple: Some "computer expert" knows only how to point and click his way around MS Windows desktop and not much else. (It takes very little to be an "computer expert".) Somebody asks him "What about Apple?". The expert knows nothing about Apple so he tries to think of why Apple doesn't matter. Ask him anything other then how to run MS Windows and he'll tell you it's unimportant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.