Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philMBP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Hello,
my iTunes store is registered under an old email address and I wanted to change this address to my MobileMe address.
iTunes would not let me change the address to an existing MobileMe account, but I was successful in creating my .me account seperately. Ok.

Now my problem/question:
I no longer wish to use my old @rogers account and only want to use my @me.
iTunes will not recognize my previous purchases made from the @rogers when logged in using my new @me.
Fair enough... so now I would like to transfer all my purchases from the old account to my new MobileMe.

Can this be done?? I certainly am unable to do this from my side.

abat

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
I have exactly the same issue and can't see an easy way around it. What I have done is start to use the mobileme account and re-downloaded all the free app on the new account. Since the apps and music from the old account are already authorised on the itunes install there isn't a problem unless you want to use itunes on another machine so I'd make sure you remember the login details for the old account.

The only complication seems to be updates for paid apps which are on the old account. When you aren't logged in itunes will show you the number of updates for the apps in itunes but it seems when you log in it only shows you the updates for the account you are logged in to. The only way around this I can see is to buy the paid apps again on the new account which is obviously not a good solution. The other solution is to log into the old account to get updates for apps on the old account,

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
While iTunes does let you change your account name to another email address, it does NOT allow you to change it to a MobileMe address.

Why?

Well, when you create a MobileMe account it automatically creates a corresponding iTunes account with that email address. Thus, when you try to change the email address of your original account to your new MobileMe email address it says it cannot do it because that account name already exists.

Since iTunes does not allow you to transfer purchases from one account to another already existing account you cannot change your account name to a MobileMe email address.

abat

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
I understand why it doesn't work but given mobileme is targetting people who are likely to have an existing iTunes account this must be a very common issue. A migration path would have been nice but I suppose it's not the biggest problem in the world.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Are they not showing up in the PURCHASED part of itunes? Just go to the Songs/CD's that you purchased under the .rogers account, select all songs, right click and under playlists, select PURCHASED. They will then show up.

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
Hello,
my iTunes store is registered under an old email address and I wanted to change this address to my MobileMe address.
iTunes would not let me change the address to an existing MobileMe account, but I was successful in creating my .me account seperately. Ok.

Now my problem/question:
I no longer wish to use my old @rogers account and only want to use my @me.
iTunes will not recognize my previous purchases made from the @rogers when logged in using my new @me.
Fair enough... so now I would like to transfer all my purchases from the old account to my new MobileMe.

Can this be done?? I certainly am unable to do this from my side.

Has this problem been resolved since then? I have everything under my hotmail address in itunes & i would prefer to use my @me.com email. I want to be able to get rid of the hotmail & have one main email only. Simpler.

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
I too have lost some purchased stuff from the iTunes store. I still have it in the library bit I cannot play it since it is registered under another account name.

This DRM stuff is a real killer.

valkett

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
Having the same issue...

Would really like to have everything under my MobileMe account but no luck switching.

Very frustrating since we're getting a new internet provider next week and I don't want to switch my account to an address with that provider - just want to have it with my MobileMe account.

Val

irish-neal

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2010
Go to myinfo.Apple.com and you can change your apple id to a username, not an email Address. Then, go to the same place and update your email adress to your new mobile me address. This lets you get all the receipt copies to your me account. Best thing i know to do.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
Go to myinfo.Apple.com and you can change your apple id to a username, not an email Address. Then, go to the same place and update your email adress to your new mobile me address. This lets you get all the receipt copies to your me account. Best thing i know to do.

I know this is an old topic, but I wanted to thank you cause I was having that problem and this solved it.

jarrodc

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
If you have multiple Apple ID's you may consolidate them.
I found this on Apple's site:

"Sorry, but this is not possible at this time via our online tools. You can speak with an AppleCare representative, who can help you consolidate your registered Apple products. They can also help register your iPods, iPhones, or Mac computers under a single Apple ID."

http://support.apple.com/kb/HE37

Hope this helps.

paulmarquis

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
This is a real issue especially now with apple TV. Apple is ussually so responsive on these type of issues. I have been trying to resolve this since they switched me from .mac to mobile me with no luck. At least I am not the only one.
Paul

rhaque

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
Itunes login how to change email?

irish-neal, I believe apple id does need to be an email address.

caseydriscoll

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
Didn't work for me either

but I sent in a feedback!

I have an itunes account with alot of content that I purchased while in university. I would like to use my new me.com account instead. I tried switching my email at myinfo.apple.com. I can't switch to my me.com account because "This domain name is reserved for MobileMe accounts."

I'd like to use me.com but this is a headache! Please help!

current itunes account is *********

James Bond

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
New Zealand, Pale Blue Dot
I'm also in the same situation.

Sometimes when updating Apps on the iPhone/iPad I get asked for my old username which I used back in the iPhone 3G days while my new ID is @me.com address.

Not the end of the world but it's annoying.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
It worked for me, my ID is now 'rabsimpson' (without the quotes).

I just tried this but it won't let me change to an ID that is not a valid email address :( and it wont let me use my mobile me address either...

I am trying to do this same exact thing... switch my existing ID (which was a pop email I am planning on dumping) for my new @me.com addy. It let me create a whole new account with the @me.com but that account has no idea what I purchased prior to it. As a test I logged on to the new mobile me one on my iphone and tried to download an app I had purchased previously... it charged me again for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.