Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajsnow6234

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Just picked up MobileMe today and am really surprised that there is not an easy way to move purchases to another account/valid email. Like someone else said, this is not a huge issue...just annoying.

EDIT: Ok, after using a little more patience I followed the instructions in this thread and was able to change my AppleID to just a username and use my @Me.com account for the primary email.

Last edited:

PeterM11

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2009
Can someone please explain in further detail how I can go about changing my iTunes account to a username only (meaning, not using an email address) account and then use my MobileMe email for the newsletters and, much more importantly, receipts. When I attempt to do so it only shows up saying "Please enter a valid email address as your Apple ID." This is quite frustrating especially due to the fact that others seem to have been able to do this without a problem.

Any help would be nice.
Thanks.

P.S. It's very surprising for Apple, a company I've known for quite some time now to make things work simply especially when it comes to transitions, to not treat MobileMe email accounts like any other in the fact that you can separately create an iTunes account and freely switch the email address it is associated with. Very disappointing. Hopefully one day it will be fixed. Until then I have refrained from making any purchases on my MobileMe iTunes account (which I didn't even mean to set up) and don't plan on it. Not only for the fact that it would separate my purchases among two accounts but also for the fact that if I ever decide I would like to leave the MobileMe service, I see no way I would be able to continue using the iTunes account that is associated with it since usernames are intact email based. Surprising flaws by Apple.

AliPuss

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Melbourne, VIC, Aust
Mobileme - No support - Hopeless

I am SUPER unimpressed. I have an iPhone, an iMac and have just brought home a MacBook Air. I purchased mobileme. Got it configured on the iPhone - no probs. Can find my phone. However, try to set it up on the iMac or Air - member name or password is invalid.

I attempted to change my appleid to a name rather than an email - no joy.

I rang for support, only to be told there is no-one in Australia that can help me. I logged onto the mobileme support page - and the only option is to chat - but since no-one is there, all I get is this crummy message thanking me for my patience - WHAT PATIENCE??

Looking at this forum page, I see a number of people experiencing the same issues. I don't wish to set up another email account.

Zero!sOne

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
Pennsylvania
Is there anyone out there who can explain how to make your Apple ID just a username?

I'm getting the same error as many other people here, saying that my ID needs to be a valid email address. This is happening even after I added my MobileMe address as an alternate email address, and it's not obvious to me what else I can do to have just a username. If you successfully changed your account to a username, please share with us explicitly how you got that accomplished.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
2 years on and there is still no solution. Apple Uk said they wouldn't be able so consolidate my purchases. Maybe with the free mobileme being released next month they'll finally sort what is a pretty simple problem...

AmTechFox

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
This is the problem I have also.

I signed up to iTunes with a hotmail account years back, I've bought many songs, videos, movies over the years and I also have mobileme which I use for my computer/iphone, yet there is no simple consolidation or account management for the above problem.

I simply cannot understand WHY it won't allow you to merge accounts, it isn't rocket science.

Any update or people received any official info form Apple Support on this?

Also, OzyOly, you from OcUK ? :p

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
This is the problem I have also.

I signed up to iTunes with a hotmail account years back, I've bought many songs, videos, movies over the years and I also have mobileme which I use for my computer/iphone, yet there is no simple consolidation or account management for the above problem.

I simply cannot understand WHY it won't allow you to merge accounts, it isn't rocket science.

Any update or people received any official info form Apple Support on this?

Also, OzyOly, you from OcUK ? :p

Hey, I am from OcUK, Fox, good to see you on here too. :)

We still can't consolodate purchases, however, iTunes purchases are all DMR free now, so they are account independented. I have ended up repurchasing £200 of apps for iOS and MacOSX so that I am now only using my me.com AppleID. Bit of a sting, but it's all sorted now. :rolleyes:

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
What about gmail > iCloud?

Anyone?

This will actually work. When you sign up for iCloud with your existing appleID you get a @me.com address, I assuming apple will let you use either, they'd be a lot of angry customers otherwise...

The only problem for existing MobileMe users is that they already have their @me.com address and can't select it again when upgrading from gmail to icloud because it's in use (by them).

bjwgorman

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
Apple ID/MobileMe - Poor Service

I am in the same boat. Have phoned Apple, chatted online, visited the 'Genius Bar' and emailed support. I have a Apple ID that is registered to an old email address (hotmail) but I wanted to change it to my MobileMe address. I was told I couldnt so I decided to make a new iTunes account with my MobileMe. As I went through the review process on iTunes it displayed the message 'unable to process. Please try again later'. It has said this for weeks now. I contacted Apple who have said you cannot have a Mobileme as an iTunes account/Apple ID. What a poor service! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.