Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idle0095

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
Is there a way to change the system profiler from saying intel core duo to intel core 2 duo? any toher setting s you can change as well?

idle0095

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
there is no scam. i bought my mbp and the person said it was a core 2 duo but when i brought it to apple to fix the keyboard light they said its a the core duo only and that some one messed with the system profiler and i was wondering how because apple says its impossible to do that.

idle0095

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
i got it like a month ago.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP11.0055.B08
SMC Version: 1.2f10
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXX
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

but the serial number comes up in apples system as a intel core duo and the program that shows what you have for a system, i believe its called mac something shows it as a intel core duo. so i wonder if some one chnaged the system profile?

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Hmm... googling MBP11.0055.B08 you get a lot of references that this is a CD only system.

Looking at here it shows that the last CD model did come at a 2.16GHz. But why would your system profiler give you incorrect info.

Do you have the system disks to boot from and get System Profiler to run from there?

so how did the original owner change the info?
What makes you think they did? did they give you that info in an email? a screen shot?

idle0095

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
Hmm... googling MBP11.0055.B08 you get a lot of references that this is a CD only system.

Looking at here it shows that the last CD model did come at a 2.16GHz. But why would your system profiler give you incorrect info.

Do you have the system disks to boot from and get System Profiler to run from there?

yes and it shows the same thing. this is also a brand new install of mac os x. i instaleld a bigger hard drive so its not like its something hacked.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/, then right click on "loginwindow" and choose "Show Package Contents". From there, go to Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ and open "AboutThisMac.strings".

In the field entitled ""ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT", I would guess the value says "Intel Core 2 Duo". That indicates that someone has changed it manually. Change that entry to "%@" (without the quotes) and save. Reboot, and it should then automatically be able to read the processor type.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/, then right click on "loginwindow" and choose "Show Package Contents". From there, go to Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ and open "AboutThisMac.strings".

In the field entitled ""ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT", I would guess the value says "Intel Core 2 Duo". That indicates that someone has changed it manually. Change that entry to "%@" (without the quotes) and save. Reboot, and it should then automatically be able to read the processor type.

Damn I was about to post that, cause I just found that and tested it.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Are you guys saying that the profiler grabs some of the info from a text file vs. polling the system hardware for everything? :eek:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Are you guys saying that the profiler grabs some of the info from a text file vs. polling the system hardware for everything? :eek:

That strings file is what tells the profiler to poll the hardware and how to format the info for display, but it can be altered to display hard-coded info instead of polling the hardware. Other profiler info like system software version info is hard coded in a separate .plist file and can also be changed manually.

idle0095

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008

The document “AboutThisMac.strings” could not be saved. You do not have appropriate access privileges.
To view or change access privileges, select the item in Finder and choose File > Get Info.

i cant edit it. why?

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
That strings file is what tells the profiler to poll the hardware and how to format the info for display, but it can be altered to display hard-coded info instead of polling the hardware. Other profiler info like system software version info is hard coded in a separate .plist file and can also be changed manually.

Aaah, so you change the format to include an extra 2 and voila! :rolleyes:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Even better!

6286cdd7.png

Aaah, so you change the format to include an extra 2 and voila! :rolleyes:

No you change it to say whatever you want.

The document “AboutThisMac.strings” could not be saved. You do not have appropriate access privileges.
To view or change access privileges, select the item in Finder and choose File > Get Info.

i cant edit it. why?

You need to use sudo.

idle0095

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
i dont understand because i tried to edit it and save it and i cant. so how do i save it?

idle0095

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
well i need instruction on this so i can chnage this back to the original. please help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.