Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idle0095

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
okay now under hard ware overview were do i change that back to the original data? that first step was only for the about this mac section.

deltaiscain

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
go to Macintosh HD, system, library, coreservices, and then loginwindow.
Right click on that, and click show package contents.

now go to contents, resources, English.Iproj, and then to AboutThisMac.strings. right click that, and select Get Info.

then go to the tab Sharing and Permissions, and click on the lock, if it is closed. enter your password, and then click on the Privilage of Everyone, and change it to read & write.

then close the Get Info window, and open the file with TextEdit. scroll down to where it says ""ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@";
it will probably say: "ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "Core 2 Duo"; on yours.

change the Core 2 Duo part to %@. Then go to file, save as and save the file on the desktop. keep the .strings extension, it is important.

close the file, and go to the desktop. then drag the file you just edited to the folder where the original was first.
the path is: /system/library/coreservices/loginwindow
then show package content, then go to: content/resources/english.Iproj/
that's the folder, drop new file there.

it will say something about authenticate, just ok it, and click replace. then enter your password, restart, and you should be good.

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Is there a way to change the system profiler from saying intel core duo to intel core 2 duo? any toher setting s you can change as well?

Model 1,1 is the first version and a core duo

okay now under hard ware overview were do i change that back to the original data? that first step was only for the about this mac section.

It seems that your system profiler states the correct processor, i.e. Intel Core Duo.

I don't think there is any need for you to mess around with the "loginwindow" package.

deltaiscain

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Even better!

6286cdd7.png

No you change it to say whatever you want.

You need to use sudo.

Use sudo? how? do you type, sudo AboutThisMac.strings?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Use sudo? how? do you type, sudo AboutThisMac.strings?

Well I use emacs (a text editor), so in Terminal.

cd ~
sudo emacs /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AboutThisMac.strings
Enter Password

Edit and save.

** Replace emacs with whatever editor you use. I would not advise using emacs if you never used it before because it's not your typical editor.**
Refer: http://xkcd.com/378/

deltaiscain

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Well I use emacs (a text editor), so in Terminal.

cd ~
sudo emacs /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AboutThisMac.strings
Enter Password

Edit and save.

** Replace emacs with whatever editor you use. I would not advise using emacs if you never used it before because it's not your typical editor.**
Refer: http://xkcd.com/378/

about that emacs, i have a problem installing it. first part goes well, but then when i do make install, i don't think it works. as one of the last lines it diplays an error. i can use it from terminal: src/emacs -q, but the next step, make install it displays errors.

make install
cd lib-src; make all \
CC='gcc' CFLAGS='-g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign ' CPPFLAGS='-fpascal-strings -DMAC_OSX ' \
LDFLAGS='' MAKE='make'
make[1]: Circular /Applications/emacs-22.2/lib-src/rcs2log <- /Applications/emacs-22.2/lib-src/rcs2log dependency dropped.
make[1]: Circular /Applications/emacs-22.2/lib-src/vcdiff <- /Applications/emacs-22.2/lib-src/vcdiff dependency dropped.
make[1]: Circular /Applications/emacs-22.2/lib-src/rcs-checkin <- /Applications/emacs-22.2/lib-src/rcs-checkin dependency dropped.
make[1]: Circular /Applications/emacs-22.2/lib-src/grep-changelog <- /Applications/emacs-22.2/lib-src/grep-changelog dependency dropped.
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
cd src; make all \
CC='gcc' CFLAGS='-g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign ' CPPFLAGS='-fpascal-strings -DMAC_OSX ' \
LDFLAGS='' MAKE='make'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
(export PARALLEL; PARALLEL=0; cd leim; make all \
LDFLAGS='' MAKE='make')
if [ -d /usr/local/share ]; then true; else \
/Applications/emacs-22.2/mkinstalldirs /usr/local/share; \
chmod a+r /usr/local/share;\
fi
mkdir /usr/local/share
mkdir: /usr/local/share: Permission denied
chmod: /usr/local/share: No such file or directory
make: *** [mkdir] Error 1

do you have any idea what i am doing wrong?
Thanks a lot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.