Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:59 PM   #1
Vegan TJ
Banned

NO SERVICE is what my iphone 3g has been saying for about 3 hours now

WTF is going on ... any help ..oh its jailbroken ..which doesnt matter cause its been jailbroken for awhile now and it just started a few hours ago
Vegan TJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:01 PM   #2
StoneColdSober
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan TJ View Post
WTF is going on ... any help ..oh its jailbroken ..which doesnt matter cause its been jailbroken for awhile now and it just started a few hours ago
Have you tried powering the phone off and then back on? A hard reset? A restore? Who is your carrier?

A little more info would make it easier for people to help out.
StoneColdSober is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:01 PM   #3
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

Restart it and see if that fixes it.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:03 PM   #4
mcdj
macrumors 604

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Start with one, if it doesn't work, move to the next...

Toggle airplane mode
Toggle 3G
Reboot
Restore
Call 611
Return phone
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:05 PM   #5
Vegan TJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneColdSober View Post
Have you tried powering the phone off and then back on? A hard reset? A restore? Who is your carrier?

A little more info would make it easier for people to help out.
i have restarted it many times i have resetnetwork settings i have put it in airplane mode then restarted i have cleared cache history cookies hard resets

i have att it was working fine a few hours ago then all of the sudden just stopped
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:06 PM   #6
mcdj
macrumors 604

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Call AT&T. What else is anyone here gonna tell you?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:06 PM   #7
Vegan TJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post

Start with one, if it doesn't work, move to the next...

Toggle airplane mode
Toggle 3G
Reboot
Restore
Call 611
Return phone
how do you toggle airplane mode and there is no 3g where i am at...
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:08 PM   #8
mcdj
macrumors 604

Come on dude, get to know your phone a little better...you post here a lot.

Settings>Airplane Mode
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:10 PM   #9
Vegan TJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post

Come on dude, get to know your phone a little better...you post here a lot.

Settings>Airplane Mode
oh i have already done that...and i know my iphone VERY VERY well..but after i have tried everything i come to this board to see if there is anything new i havent tried
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:11 PM   #10
StoneColdSober
macrumors 6502

Quote:
oh i have already done that...and i know my iphone VERY VERY well..but after i have tried everything i come to this board to see if there is anything new i havent tried
At this point you need to try calling AT&T and see if there is an outage.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:22 PM   #11
Vegan TJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneColdSober View Post
At this point you need to try calling AT&T and see if there is an outage.
nope my girlfriend just got a new iphone today and is sitting next to me with no problems
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:29 PM   #12
StoneColdSober
macrumors 6502

Quote:
nope my girlfriend just got a new iphone today and is sitting next to me with no problems
Sounds like you will need to see a genius. Try doing a restore back to official firmware (which you will want to do before going to a genius anyway) and if still no go then set up the genius appointment.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 08:18 AM   #13
Sonicjay
macrumors 6502a

This happened to me a week and a half ago. The phone portion of my 3G suddenly died. Called AT&T; no outtages. The damn phone just died. First I rebooted it, then I restored with a backup restore, then I restored and setup as a new phone, tried disabling 3G, etc. Dead. I put my SIM in my first gen phone and reactivated it until morning when the Apple store opened to replace it.
Sonicjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:17 AM   #14
demiurgical
macrumors member

Thumbs down

This happened to me lastnight, "No Service". Where are you located? I was in Manhattan in the west village when it happened. restarted, etc. Nothing then I had to get on the subway to go home. got to Queens and it worked again right away.

I plan to call AT&T to get some credit back since if I'm not getting 100% service I shouldn't be paying for it 100%. Especially with the data being really really bad in Manhattan these pass weeks. It's definitely not the iPhone because when I'm in Queens it works fine.

~.
demiurgical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:29 PM   #15
tcp13equals2
macrumors newbie

No Service in Manhattan but ok in Jersey

This has happened to me too.

iPhone 3G went into No Service mode on Saturday in Manhattan (Chelsea, Flat Iron area) ... but worked fine in Jersey.

I did a full phone reset and it has come back to life now.

*****ful service.
tcp13equals2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 02:30 PM   #16
Dizle
macrumors 6502

after the new update mine randomly shows "no service" for the hell of it and I have to turn phone off and on. pain in the butt and if the problem persists I'm taking it back to apple...

Last edited by Dizle; Sep 15, 2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Dizle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 02:35 PM   #17
CocoaPuffs
macrumors 68010

It is pwnage 2.1 that is causing the issue. Basically your phone is NOT activated and hence the reason why you have no service. Try restore to factory default and QuickPwn it instead of using Pwnage 2.1.
CocoaPuffs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 02:38 PM   #18
Anuba
macrumors 68040

I saw that once... switched to EDGE and got signal again... switched back to 3G and there was "No Service" again.

This begs the question, is the iPhone really so primitive that it's either 3G or EDGE? Every 3G phone I've used before the iPhone automatically reverts to EDGE if the 3G signal isn't good enough. Sometimes it will switch seamlessly several times during a call, that's how it's supposed to work. There should never be "No Service" unless you're out of range for both 3G and EDGE, or if both are down due to a power outage or whatever.

If the iPhone does in fact lock to either 3G or EDGE, there's no wonder it keeps dropping calls in 3G mode. Something tells me it cannot possibly be that primitive, but then again it does have Bluetooth that isn't good for anything except pairing with a headset...
Anuba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 02:42 PM   #19
bluenoise
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuba View Post
I saw that once... switched to EDGE and got signal again... switched back to 3G and there was "No Service" again.

This begs the question, is the iPhone really so primitive that it's either 3G or EDGE? Every 3G phone I've used before the iPhone automatically reverts to EDGE if the 3G signal isn't good enough. Sometimes it will switch seamlessly several times during a call, that's how it's supposed to work. There should never be "No Service" unless you're out of range for both 3G and EDGE, or if both are down due to a power outage or whatever.

If the iPhone does in fact lock to either 3G or EDGE, there's no wonder it keeps dropping calls in 3G mode. Something tells me it cannot possibly be that primitive, but then again it does have Bluetooth that isn't good for anything except pairing with a headset...
Even after the 2.1 update, mine still has issues going from 3G to EDGE automatically. It'll display "No Service" for over a minute before finally figuring out there is plenty of EDGE signal available. I just leave 3G off anyway, but it would be nice if it worked properly all the time.
bluenoise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 04:01 PM   #20
manhattanmania
macrumors regular

Quote:
i posted on this a few weeks ago... this happened to me too. not jailbroken. i had to fight w/ the apple store "genius" to get him to replace the phone when all the software fixes wouldnt work. he tried to blame ATT but i persisted bc i knew it was the phone. my new phone has been working amazingly better than the old one did and this problem no longer occurs. id get it replaced.
manhattanmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone