Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kahoona

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
Recently put my ibook in to get fixed as I reckoned it had a faulty ethernet connection. Sure enough it was returned saying that the connection was damaged and would have to be repaired, the cost for repair £700 (excluding service and VAT)

My question is this, can the connection be resoldered? or do I have to pay this? Considering my machine only cost £1400 and is 13months old I find it ridiculous that i'm having to pay half the value of the machine t get it fixed!

I'd be very very very grateful if someone out there could advise me on this! Many Thanks

K

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
That's because Apple's repair replaces the entire logic board instead of the replacing the port.

If you want it done for less, do it yourself and replace the port.

However if it's the Ethernet PHY that's dead, it'll probably be a tad bit more difficult.

kahoona

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
Originally posted by idkew
ok this is ridiculous! Three threads now?

POST A TOPIC ONCE! Do not, and i mean NEVER, post the same topic more than ONCE!

dry your eyes! I'm desperate and never been on this forum! Thanks for the tip though!

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Oh man, see this is why I was looking at a wireless base station as insurance instead of a frivolous expense. When I first got my laptop I was trailing a 30' ethernet cable around for mobility and I quickly saw that I should have ordered the base station with the computer. It's not like the ethernet jack can be replaced without replacing the whole logic board if you screw it up. The $250 I spent on an AE seems worth it for that peace of mind alone. Wireless access is nice too though.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.