Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chachster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, I did do quite a few searches.

Question is:
Can someone who qualifies for the education discount use their discount to allow me to pay for it?

Also, will it be in my name so I can register the applecare, etc.

I don't want to jeopardize their edu discount if they would want to take advantage of it at some point in their career.

So, the simple question is can I go into the Apple Store like I am purchasing and have the person that is eligible for the discount show their verifiying documents.

Thanks again. To me the saving is nice, however I don't want to break any rules over a small amount of money (in the scope of everything else!)

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, I did do quite a few searches.

Question is:
Can someone who qualifies for the education discount use their discount to allow me to pay for it?

Also, will it be in my name so I can register the applecare, etc.

I don't want to jeopardize their edu discount if they would want to take advantage of it at some point in their career.

So, the simple question is can I go into the Apple Store like I am purchasing and have the person that is eligible for the discount show their verifiying documents.

Thanks again. To me the saving is nice, however I don't want to break any rules over a small amount of money (in the scope of everything else!)

You can do it. I think a student can use the education discount only 1 time a year. They might allow more than that on certain products, but on computers, I think it is once a year.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
You can do it. I think a student can use the education discount only 1 time a year. They might allow more than that on certain products, but on computers, I think it is once a year.

I always remembered it being one laptop, one desktop and such forth per year.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
If you buy from the store at http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk you get an even bigger discount (around 17%) and you effectively get AppleCare for free.

You'll need to ask your friend to use the connection at their University though - you can't get on that store from outside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.