1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Education Discount Usage

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chachster, Sep 4, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, I did do quite a few searches.

Question is:
    Can someone who qualifies for the education discount use their discount to allow me to pay for it?

Also, will it be in my name so I can register the applecare, etc.

I don't want to jeopardize their edu discount if they would want to take advantage of it at some point in their career.

So, the simple question is can I go into the Apple Store like I am purchasing and have the person that is eligible for the discount show their verifiying documents.

Thanks again. To me the saving is nice, however I don't want to break any rules over a small amount of money (in the scope of everything else!)

2. macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

You can do it. I think a student can use the education discount only 1 time a year. They might allow more than that on certain products, but on computers, I think it is once a year.

3. macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I always remembered it being one laptop, one desktop and such forth per year.

4. macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

You are probably right.

5. macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If you buy from the store at http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk you get an even bigger discount (around 17%) and you effectively get AppleCare for free.

You'll need to ask your friend to use the connection at their University though - you can't get on that store from outside.