iTunes 8 Now Removing Old Apps from Computer After Upgrading - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:54 PM   #1
chisoxbull
Banned

iTunes 8 Now Removing Old Apps from Computer After Upgrading

I just noticed as I went to empty my trash that all 5 of the programs that I updated today using iTunes 8 have thier respective old version in my trash bin! Does anyone else notice this? Maybe I missed someone talking about this.

Corey
chisoxbull is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:58 PM   #2
thechad003
Banned

i noticed this to with a app that updated! there was one in the recycle bin weird but whatever
thechad003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 01:51 AM   #3
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
You should be able to download them again, since the prompt "you've already purchased this item from iTunes... would you like to purchase it again?" will show up. You won't be charged again...
Old Sep 11, 2008, 05:00 AM   #4
StingerT125
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFStateStudent View Post
You should be able to download them again, since the prompt "you've already purchased this item from iTunes... would you like to purchase it again?" will show up. You won't be charged again...
I think he means the extra old versions that used to be installed were moved to the trash just leaving the new updated version. The x1.ipa, x2.ipa, x3,ipa were deleted.

OP - correct me if I'm wrong about what you meant. I will now be looking for this when I get me next update.
StingerT125 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:18 AM   #5
minik
macrumors 65816

I noticed the same thing and happy with this feature.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:41 AM   #6
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Excellent. This is how ALL software (on all computers) should work. If something is over-written (in any situation) the over-written file should go to the trash.

The fact that this is rarely the case is maddening. Good to see iTunes is at least doing it this way now.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:00 PM   #7
pyrodex
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to pyrodex Send a message via Skype™ to pyrodex
Bad news is it won't remove them until they get an update

Also how about those damn .tmp files under your iTunes folder, what's the deal with those suckers.
pyrodex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:09 PM   #8
leodavinci0
macrumors 6502

I wanted this as well, up until Bloomberg updated their stock app with ads built in. Downgrading makes me see the utility in keeping at least the previous version there. It is nice not to have extras on your computer, but keeping the most previous app version would be preferable.
leodavinci0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:29 PM   #9
Cynicalone
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by leodavinci0 View Post
I wanted this as well, up until Bloomberg updated their stock app with ads built in. Downgrading makes me see the utility in keeping at least the previous version there. It is nice not to have extras on your computer, but keeping the most previous app version would be preferable.
You can make a backup copy of the app, that way you can always go back.
Cynicalone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:33 PM   #10
Rojo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by leodavinci0 View Post
I can see why that would be useful sometimes, but I would still rather do without the multitude of previous versions building up over time.

Maybe if old versions were moved to an old apps folder, which could then be set to automatically delete any file after a preset number of days (or never, if you so desire).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicalone View Post
You can make a backup copy of the app, that way you can always go back.
Yeah, but who wants to do that every time you update an app, just in case you might want it later?
Rojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:38 PM   #11
Cynicalone
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
I can see why that would be useful sometimes, but I would still rather do without the multitude of previous versions building up over time.

Maybe if old versions were moved to an old apps folder, which could then be set to automatically delete any file after a preset number of days (or never, if you so desire).

Yeah, but who wants to do that every time you update an app, just in case you might want it later?
I like your idea of giving people the option to control if/when old apps versions are deleted. Seems like it would be a simple thing imo.
Cynicalone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:53 PM   #12
jdavtz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
Maybe I misunderstood, but isn't that effectively what iTunes is doing - moving old apps to the Trash, which you can empty if/when you want (or not at all).
jdavtz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:01 PM   #13
chisoxbull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingerT125 View Post
I think he means the extra old versions that used to be installed were moved to the trash just leaving the new updated version. The x1.ipa, x2.ipa, x3,ipa were deleted.

OP - correct me if I'm wrong about what you meant. I will now be looking for this when I get me next update.
You were correct. I was referring to the old versions. This will prevent a very larger mobile apps folder in the future.
chisoxbull is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 07:15 AM   #14
leodavinci0
macrumors 6502

Rather than add yet another option to iTunes (i.e. option for keeping the old version for a period of time), it doesn't seem like a big deal to keep just the single previous version until an update. That way you only ever have two versions of an app. This can also be useful if the new one corrupts, and the older one was already trashed (with the method used now). If the apps do get large in the future, they probably won't get large enough to really matter, considering how large HDD's are now.

Although, adding an option in iTunes to revert to the previous version would be fine too I guess (it just seems to me iTunes has become so disorganized with options in the last couple years).

Last edited by leodavinci0; Sep 12, 2008 at 07:25 AM.
leodavinci0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone