Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:01 AM   #1
njguyfla
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
How do I know what generation Touch I have?

I got it off of Ebay. All that came were the Touch, USB cable and earbuds. I guess it was refurbished or returned. It looks brand new.

I know this sounds like a stupid question.

in the About section of the Touch it says version 2.1 SF137 (does that mean 2nd generation?)
njguyfla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:02 AM   #2
xJulianx
macrumors 6502a
 
xJulianx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brighton, UK
If it has a speaker, it's 2nd gen. Otherwise it's first gen.
xJulianx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:03 AM   #3
gloss
macrumors 601
 
gloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: around/about
Send a message via AIM to gloss
Um. The new one has a volume rocker and a more svelte construction.
__________________
when you say it's all over / hell yeah anyway
gloss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:03 AM   #4
njguyfla
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJulianx View Post
If it has a speaker, it's 2nd gen. Otherwise it's first gen.
Okay no speaker so it must be 1 G
njguyfla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:03 AM   #5
4DThinker
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
If the back is flat, and only rounded at the edges, is a Gen 1.

If the back is continously curved from edge to edge, it's a gen 2.

Hope that helps.
__________________
Visit my blog!
4DThinker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:04 AM   #6
PeteB
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
If you got it off ebay, you can pretty much guarantee that it's a first gen.

Look here for comparison shots.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=560655
__________________
iPod Touch 2G/32Gb -17" HiRes MBP 2.6Ghz - Spyder3 calibrated - LR & CS3
Photo Gallery
PeteB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:08 AM   #7
njguyfla
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
If you got it off ebay, you can pretty much guarantee that it's a first gen.

Look here for comparison shots.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=560655
Okay thanks, I see the easiest to see difference is on the back in the upper left hand (black area) corner the 2G has a rounded edge.
njguyfla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:22 PM   #8
Wolfpup
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Well the very easiest way is just the volume buttons. If it dosen't have them, it's first gen.
Wolfpup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 01:21 PM   #9
Jelite
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Get a coin and scratch along the back like those prize tickets.
Jelite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:57 PM   #10
WordLife565
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
you can't tell buy the speaker, because you actually can't see it, its hidden inside. But it's there, its the same speaker that we have been using in iPods for the click wheel sound and the alarm functions.
__________________
13" Macbook Pro 2011, 2.3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
iPhone 5 16 GB Black
2G iPod touch 8GB
Apple TV
WordLife565 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:58 PM   #11
NT1440
macrumors G3
 
NT1440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordLife565 View Post
you can't tell buy the speaker, because you actually can't see it, its hidden inside. But it's there, its the same speaker that we have been using in iPods for the click wheel sound and the alarm functions.
it is not a piezo speaker.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:20 PM   #12
Wolfpup
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
No, no it is not

I am *SO* glad (and so surprised!) that it has a speaker! I've desperately wanted one since I got my first iPod. I'm considering buying one before I really need it just because of the speaker.
Wolfpup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:25 PM   #13
TwinCities Dan
macrumors 603
 
TwinCities Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpup View Post
No, no it is not

I am *SO* glad (and so surprised!) that it has a speaker! I've desperately wanted one since I got my first iPod. I'm considering buying one before I really need it just because of the speaker.
Hahaha, I have had mine about 30 hrs and haven't even unwrapped the headphones yet! The speaker was a welcome addition, now just get her a lil' louder Apple...
__________________
Guilty feet do have rhythm, they just dance to the wrong theme music to amuse the villian
Instead of killin', I spare the raccoon n' start fillin' sand bags as I stare at the moon...Thoughts flood
TwinCities Dan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:36 PM   #14
WordLife565
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpup View Post
No, no it is not

I am *SO* glad (and so surprised!) that it has a speaker! I've desperately wanted one since I got my first iPod. I'm considering buying one before I really need it just because of the speaker.
the speaker is not that great, I used it once to play the soccer game I downloaded, you really won't be able to hear it, unless your in a quiet room.
__________________
13" Macbook Pro 2011, 2.3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
iPhone 5 16 GB Black
2G iPod touch 8GB
Apple TV
WordLife565 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:40 PM   #15
NT1440
macrumors G3
 
NT1440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordLife565 View Post
the speaker is not that great, I used it once to play the soccer game I downloaded, you really won't be able to hear it, unless your in a quiet room.
exactly, this is why i knew it would be a bad idea for apple to put one in. After the months and months of seeing alot of people complain hear about it not having a speaker, now were gonna get dozens of angry threads (tons of people go over the top for such little things dont they) about people complaining its not good enough or loud enough. You just simply cant put a great/very good sounding speaker in a package that small/thin.,

edit: wordlife this isnt directed at you, i just used your post as a segway to say something
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:54 PM   #16
Wolfpup
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
I'd prefer it be loud of course, but still, having ANYTHING in there is a huge step up from previous iPods. I've toyed with getting an iPhone without using it as a phone, just because the hardware buttons and speaker were worth so much to me...and they more or less added both, which was really everything I wanted

(Aside from someone releasing a solid office suite for it...)
Wolfpup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 09:00 PM   #17
angels lust
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I'm glad it's not loud. Not because I'd never use it (I doubt I would) but so I don't have to hear what everyone else is listening to or watching.
angels lust is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any other uses for iPod Touch fifth generation? theapplefanboyj iPod touch 13 Mar 25, 2014 06:48 PM
Touch Recognition Issue on iPhone 5, 5th Generation iPod Touch with Rapid Diagonal Swipes MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 355 Jan 3, 2013 03:11 PM
How to tell what generation iPod touch I have kilowattradio iPod touch 5 Dec 27, 2012 01:31 PM
Reviews of the Fifth-Generation iPod Touch and Seventh-Generation iPod Nano MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 183 Oct 19, 2012 06:18 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC