Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
All I have is this cd. nothing else, it just came out of nowhere...

Attachments

• untitled.jpeg
    untitled.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 350

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
I am pretty sure there is a free copy of it available on the web.....is there anything special about the "developers copy" you have?

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I think the free version was only for the PC. Install it, see what happens and share with us.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
If I remember correctly, you need something called a BeBox to run BeOS on a Mac.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
As I recall, the Developer's Prerelease requires a PCI bus PowerMac, not a NuBus one. I think it should work on the Beige G3.

This was the first attempt by Be's people to get away from their proprietary hardware (the Be Box) when they realized that wouldn't fly. Altho your disk is labeled "Developer's Prerelease", and I have a similar disk labelled "MacWorld Edition", I don't think they ever released the final version. There was a version for the PC much later; it didn't sell well. Eventually, Palm bought Be and stopped selling anything.

Be OS has some interesting concepts. It was a ground-up design all written in C++ with fairly tightly integrated classes. For this reason, it gets very snappy performance. However, a program written for Be will work there and nowhere else.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
applekid said:
If I remember correctly, you need something called a BeBox to run BeOS on a Mac.

i *think* bebox was the part of Rhapsody that gave compatibility to Be applications... i could be wrong tho, as i have no experience or knowledge of either Be or Rhapsody :)

paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.