Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
The Pictures and Videos are at flickr, here is the link:

http://flickr.com/photos/infamously/sets/72157607317290329/
(Video is up!)

Preliminary thoughts:

Front
The front seems fine, looks great already. I cheated (actually it's easy to accidentally turn the iPod on while doing the back <_< ) and already turned it on. It doesn't seem to change the hue, at least that I noticed those few seconds.

Back
The jury is out on this one. I have a hunch it's actually cut slightly off, but will only measure it tomorrow. As the power switch is perfectly aligned, and headphone jack. But the dock connector is off slightly, and the Volume control buttons are touching one side of the guard. It also looks like crap on the back! I'll let it cure for the 24 hours and update this tomorrow evening, but I just don't see how it gets better, a lot of micro bubbles too. I tried to get it down 3 times, following the box's and video's instructions.

Side notes
Used all the solution. The squeegee is lame, same as a credit card, I'd rather have something rubber, but i just used a microfiber cloth wrapped around the squeegee instead. I think it changes the sound of the built in speaker a lot. makes it muffled (as the speaker uses the back metal case to amplify it and probly tuned for it). My guess is the plastic/cover/guard nullify the vibrations, but wont know for sure till tomorrow.

Final Thoughts:

Simple: It's a buy

Long:
They do cure, they do get rid of the bubbles after time, and there really is not "tint" to it. Just clear, shiny aluminum with a plastic über protector. It's got a great grip, already saved me from dropping it accidentally a foot. You wouldn't have a problem even with sweaty jogger hands :D The neatest side effect is you can definitely see any engraving you have, it makes it pop out a bit, very slick and professional like. No scratches from keys, nail clippers, pen, mechanical pencil, and iPod cable connector.

One thing I did love was the front protector, it's hard to get grimy to the point it's actually annoying to touch/slide fingers around the screen, this occasionally happened with just the screen for me.

If you do have any issues, there support is really helpful! All I do suggest is to look at pictures on page 2 of the man that had them perfect, and line up the bottom headphone jack as pictured and go from there. As there is no picture included of a finished product to base it on :)

My only other complaints is the squeegee is pretty lame, it's same as a business card. I think something with a rounded edge, and not as stiff would be better. As I have the skid marks from getting a bubble out because it actually would "pull" the plastic when it would get stuck. My suggestion is use something else as a squeegee. or wrap it in some micro fiber cloth, so it's not as blunt/sharp. It did NOT scratch it however, so don't worry about that.

I don't like ratings, but It is worth the money.

Feel free to ask any questions!

*UPDATE*
Here are some pictures provided by BodyGuardz as to what the final should look like. It does get that clear! Reason for providing is it is simply a easy way to know how much space to leave around things and how to line it up properly.

Enjoy!

2866725186_1160f0df5b.jpg

2866725142_bb0c529d4f.jpg

2866725104_97a90f5ceb.jpg

2866725054_b5120023b1.jpg

2866724898_3009569ed2.jpg

2866724872_d3181265e5.jpg

Look at flickr if you want them bigger.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
I just placed my order, but having already seen the tutorial on their website I had some doubt on the fitting on the back, which you've confirmed so far. If anything, if the back doesn't turn out as well, you could just leave the front on and stick it in a sleeve if space permits.

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
Whoa, looks horrible. Did you try to squeegee more of the bubbles out? Last time I used BSE and it didn't look great, but looked a lot better than that.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
really? i think it looks pretty good

maybe because I tried to apply the bodyguardz today and I failed miserably for the back - the front is okay, but doesn't look very good right now. i'm just glad they included two of each cause the second time I did the back it was a lot better (using their squeegy as you apply the back). of course I think ops looks better than mine still.

Philz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Well,

It's looking better, so there is definitely some truth in the "cure/dry" rationale. However it actually looks like the actually guard is scratched?!?! I'll grab some pictures in the morning, with proper lighting and my DSLR. It also looks like there is for lack of a better term, wrinkles. You might not have scratches on the device, but stretch/wrinkles (I didn't stretch it at all is the kicker)

One of the corners looks like it's never going to stick. I was holding it in after I put it on for ~30 mins while watching TV. Then went to eat quickly, came back to it starting to come up again, and proceeded to watch 45 more minutes of tv. This time i stayed down for more than an hour, but is back poped up.

I hate to say this, but I get the feeling I'm being a beta tester :confused:

As I took a ruller to it, and the cutting is off by ~2 millimeters in my mind, it *might* be able to fit on perfectly, but that is perfectly. The retarted thing is the two problem corners are on opposite ends (top left bottom right, looking at the back), so if it's moved up a bit, the top one would get worse but fix the bottom, or vice versa.

This is all ironic as there 3G iPhone review over at iPod lounge says it's one of the easier to put on (more liberal on corners), to me it's exact opposite.

As for squeegeeing, I did while putting on the back (front after, but it went on perfectly), and afterwords. I got a few of the bigger (small still) ones out, but you can clearly see the bubbles paths out, like skid marks. That might go away with the curing, so wait and see with that. I did this in a clean room, cleaned the counter, actually used a hair cover thingy you use in a shower (had one from a hotel :eek: ), and washed my hands/arms, and wore a fitted surf shirt dry wet thingy. (hairy European :p) So I'm confident nothing got contaminated ROFL.

Final word for the night, I still say the template is highly flawed.

Heather1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
California
My god, the edges look like they're never going to fit. Such huge gap. I'm kinda disappointed :( . However, let's wait and see comes tomorrow. Good luck, man. ;)

GanXta

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
I just installed my set, also. Talk about 40 minutes of frustration and wasting 2 back pieces. The dimensions are off just enough on the back pieces to make it difficult to align perfectly. I have to concur with Philz,the product is flawed and needs a revision.

darfel

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
NorCal
Internal Speaker?

Well,

It's looking better, so there is definitely some truth in the "cure/dry" rationale. However it actually looks like the actually guard is scratched?!?! I'll grab some pictures in the morning, with proper lighting and my DSLR. It also looks like there is for lack of a better term, wrinkles. You might not have scratches on the device, but stretch/wrinkles (I didn't stretch it at all is the kicker)

One of the corners looks like it's never going to stick. I was holding it in after I put it on for ~30 mins while watching TV. Then went to eat quickly, came back to it starting to come up again, and proceeded to watch 45 more minutes of tv. This time i stayed down for more than an hour, but is back poped up.

As I took a ruller to it, and the cutting is off by ~2 millimeters in my mind, it *might* be able to fit on perfectly, but that is perfectly. The retarted thing is the two problem corners are on opposite ends (top left bottom right, looking at the back), so if it's moved up a bit, the top one would get worse but fix the bottom, or vice versa.

This is all ironic as there 3G iPhone review over at iPod lounge says it's one of the easier to put on (more liberal on corners), to me it's exact opposite.

As for squeegeeing, I did while putting on the back (front after, but it went on perfectly), and afterwords. I got a few of the bigger (small still) ones out, but you can clearly see the bubbles paths out, like skid marks. That might go away with the curing, so wait and see with that. I did this in a clean room, cleaned the counter, actually used a hair cover thingy you use in a shower (had one from a hotel :eek: ), and washed my hands/arms, and wore a fitted surf shirt dry wet thingy. (hairy European :p) So I'm confident nothing got contaminated ROFL.

Does the internal speaker sound any better since it cured?

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Well,

okay, after going through the process the second time, i am seeing what you are talking about. the backing went on better this time, but those opposite corners really don't want to stay down. the corner where the headphone jack is works perfectly, and the one opposite (diagonally) is okay, but the other two are horrible and I think will catch on things are attract dust & lint. I was originally happy that i'd just have protection for the backing against scratching, but I'm starting not to like these little bumps sticking out. I may end up returning these and trying out the BSE or the invisible shield.

Philz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
I just installed my set, also. Talk about 40 minutes of frustration and wasting 2 back pieces. The dimensions are off just enough on the back pieces to make it difficult to align perfectly. I have to concur with Philz,the product is flawed and needs a revision.

Even more apparent after today's look in better light and proper measuring tools.

Does the internal speaker sound any better since it cured?

A bit, it's not drastically different or say lower in volume, but noticeable. Not like it's worse, just different. Didn't sound good from beginning IMHO, but useful; in that regard it still is.

okay, after going through the process the second time, i am seeing what you are talking about. the backing went on better this time, but those opposite corners really don't want to stay down. the corner where the headphone jack is works perfectly, and the one opposite (diagonally) is okay, but the other two are horrible and I think will catch on things are attract dust & lint. I was originally happy that i'd just have protection for the backing against scratching, but I'm starting not to like these little bumps sticking out. I may end up returning these and trying out the BSE or the invisible shield.

Mine are already bubbling and occasionally get a fuzz from something (maybe pocket?). That is all just from this morning lol. Problem for me is it can scratch my left hand, were I normally hold it at times (poke with right). It's just uncomfortable, otherwise the plastic/rubber feel is good to not drop it, but really don't like being poked!!!!

More Pictures are up, ~16 hours after application:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infamously/sets/72157607317290329/

Thoughts:
Looks a lot better, it's true they get clearer, but there is still the skid and stretch marks. They haven't changed one bit. It also looks like the film might have been scratched to begin with in a couple spots; however it's so fine and minute you'd need to have good eyesight and try to find it. The actual feel of it in your hand is ok (besides the 2 improperly cut corners poking you), it definitely is grip able. The front is pristine, besides the corner i had to refit and put down because of a bubble, it now has some same stretch goof marks as the back.

The Print/Cut is off. No doubt about it. If looking at the front, the right side of the back comes off the left edge a bit. However were the volume controls (looking at side view) the guard is smack on the right edge of the volume controls. This means that whole strip/side is cut off by ~1-2mm. There is no way to say it's actually cut right. Then the fact that the 2 corners (top right bottom left, from front view) are cut right either. As if you were to move it up, the top would get worse, and vice versa.

So I'm not sure what to think. I'll probably try the other back this evening, see if it fits better, but seems like I'm not only one with this issue.

*EDIT*
These corners & dock connector & any other part that is not actually glued to a surface, attracts dust like no other. Makes it look shoddy, as I just put it in my PJ pocket to grab some tea, and it's fuzzed... (excuse the choice of cloths, I woke up late..!)

i-Want-Apples

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Thanks for the review. Now I'm not too sure if I even want to keep the BodyGuardz. I read so many good reviews that I really thought they were going to be a good company to deal with. But it just seems like they released this prematurely. I think that $25 is a little steep for a couple sheets of plastic, especially when you can buy generic screen protectors for a couple bucks and get ten. But, they seemed highly recommended and if they protected my Touch, I could care less how much they cost. I'm just not sure if it is worth the time/hassle to install the BodyGuardz at all now.

I've never dealt with the company before, so I don't know if it is likely, but it would be really nice if they would offer a refund or exchange for people that bought the ones already that don't fit properly.

So far my experience with the company has been, okay, but I found a few things I didn't like.

1. They say LIFETIME REPLACEMENTS all over the place (which I thought really justified the cost) They don't have any small print with the actual statement, or any "*" around, but if you go into that section of your website they mention that you have to pay $5 to get them replaced and also it looks like you have to pay to ship the old one back, if you want to be able to receive more replacements. So it will cost around $10 (depending on shipping method) each time you want one replaced.

2. They say that you can return the product and have a 30 day guaratee on it, but it looks like they are charging a $5 restocking fee if you return it.

3. I registered for an account and they said I would be able to change/cancel my order if I wanted. I went into my account to check everything just a few minutes after placing the order and it said I could not change/cancel anything because it was already in the final stages of processing, and this was late Saturday night.

4. They advertise that the products are in stock and will ship with in 24 hours. I was pretty impressed when I got in e-mail early Monday morning saying that it was shipped. Later Monday night I checked on the USPS website, curious where it was shipped from, and they said they still didn't have that tracking number. So I kept checking and it wasn't until almost 11 or so Monday night that the USPS site updated and said they were notified to pick it up on Tuesday, the 16th. Not a big deal, but certainly a way for them to follow the rules on the website, but not actually ship it as promised.

I think I may wait to put my BodyGuardz on until I see how the reviews are for the Invisible Shield and maybe get that instead.

Thanks again for the review. Definitely making things easier for the rest of us!

Philz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infamously/sets/72157607317290329/

Last batch of pictures, have a ruler so you can see what I mean on a lot of it.

As of right now, I don't recommend this... I'm going to contact there support later today, I'll keep everyone posted. This is unfortunate though, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they will treat everyone that bought it already properly.

Strategy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Is this the first one of these you've done? It looks like you used WAY too much solution for the back.

azure247

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Your sides look horrible and dust is attracting on it. Did you let it dry for a few minutes before applying the sides down?

Philz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Is this the first one of these you've done? It looks like you used WAY too much solution for the back.

No.

Did one of the invisible shields for my mothers iPhone before she received it last mothers day, and a couple other branded ones for cameras. Also one for a first gen nano.

The pictures is a bit deceiving on the amount of liquid
(and regardless, they say you can't use to much ;))

Philz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Your sides look horrible and dust is attracting on it. Did you let it dry for a few minutes before applying the sides down?

I did, they wouldn't hold well otherwise but the sides are actually the nicest part! They are perfectly clear, just some go over the "edge" that is there on the silver side (were goes from rounded to flat) so that is now a dust magnet like you said.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
so i was looking at the closeup pics and i saw that the BGs leave a little corner exposed on the back. is it big or small in reality? and how hard was the back? any specific issues?and last but not least, im envious:D i wont be getting one till X-mas! well better late than never.:):D:apple:
-wywern209 the macrumors dark knight

Philz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
so i was looking at the closeup pics and i saw that the BGs leave a little corner exposed on the back. is it big or small in reality? and how hard was the back? any specific issues?and last but not least, im envious:D i wont be getting one till X-mas! well better late than never.:):D:apple:
-wywern209 the macrumors dark knight

2 corners really protected, 2 not so much, enough that i wouldn't worry about scratches there. The plastic film is soft, it's not actually like hard plastic. That is how it resists scratches, it literally gets scratched to returns to normal form in a way (but in a matter of microseconds). Best way to explain is like leather, but without the after scuff mark? No other issues that what has been said so far here, I think it's a bad template, or either to precise for human hands, I'm not sure. Don't be envious! You'll probably get one with the bugs fixed :p .

No update from there support yet :/ (lol, there page lists it as "today (3 hours, 191 min ago) [9/16/2008 1:14PM] " long 191 min hour ;)

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
2 corners really protected, 2 not so much, enough that i wouldn't worry about scratches there. The plastic film is soft, it's not actually like hard plastic. That is how it resists scratches, it literally gets scratched to returns to normal form in a way (but in a matter of microseconds). Best way to explain is like leather, but without the after scuff mark? No other issues that what has been said so far here, I think it's a bad template, or either to precise for human hands, I'm not sure. Don't be envious! You'll probably get one with the bugs fixed :p .

No update from there support yet :/ (lol, there page lists it as "today (3 hours, 191 min ago) [9/16/2008 1:14PM] " long 191 min hour ;)

r u referring to the BG bugs? or the ipod touch? the ipod touch has no current issues since 2.1 right?

Philz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
lol yes the bodyguardz bugz. To me 2.1 is as smooth as smooth can be for a devices OS. No issues at all. Some have isolated problems with a particular app but to me that is minor and so few.

Goroke

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
I think I messed mine up. The front screen is near perfect (cept some dust on the very edge and two specks underneath >___>) but I don't think I squeezed out enough because there's ALOT of big bumps. I did install it like today...1:30 A.M., but I'm really hoping those bumps will go away :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.