Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

183057-screen.jpg

A recent patent application from Apple reveals that the company is considering adding a proper "At a Glance" notification screen for the iPhone. The proposed screen would allow users to quickly jump to the desired notification simply by pressing on the corresponding notification.

At present, the iPhone's notification lists is a list that disappears when the phone is unlocked. This sort of notification system may become more important once 3rd party "push" notifications are activated, as the number and variety of these notifications will likely increase significantly.

Apple originally had an early version of "push" notifications built into developer builds of iPhone 2.1. This feature, however, was later removed and the final version of 2.1 was released earlier this month without this feature. Apple has not made any announcements if their targeted release date has been changed.

Article Link

vilasgn

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Very cool!

Also,

"Apple has not made any announcements if their targeted release date has been changed." ....

That means the targeted release date is still valid.

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
This would definitely make an improvement to the current set up, which in my opinion is quite lame.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
We're not going to get push before the end of Sept, are we? I wish Apple would just start saying vague "dates" like 'Fall 2008' instead of giving a specific month, since it seems they can't make their projected release dates as of late.

Also this would be a nice feature! One of the things I hate about the iPhone is when the text message shows up onscreen no matter what you're doing - lots of potential for a bad situation if someone else is using your phone or something.

Mykbibby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
I've wanted this extremely badly. Mainly for switching 3G on and off for battery, but to quickly switch brightness, wifi, gps, etc. would be sick!

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Also this would be a nice feature! One of the things I hate about the iPhone is when the text message shows up onscreen no matter what you're doing - lots of potential for a bad situation if someone else is using your phone or something.

Eh? This feature would be worse than that. It not only prints the message on the screen, but lets you click that message to be taken straight there, without having to unlock the iPhone! Terrible, terrible idea!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Day and Date?

Isn't that a bit repetitive?

Oh, I suppose they mean weekday.

Sounds like a good idea... I'd like to see a mockup image though because I'm not sure about how visually appealing it'll be to have all that stuff on top of your wallpaper image.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Eh? This feature would be worse than that. It not only prints the message on the screen, but lets you click that message to be taken straight there, without having to unlock the iPhone! Terrible, terrible idea!

No, I think it would take you there only AFTER unlocking the phone. Meaning, you click it and it highlights, then you slide to unlock and boom.

gwilli

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2006
London Town
Hmmmm... apple are starting to annoy me with the whole "there's this new amazing feature (that's also secretly been on phones since 1999)". Having an iPhone 3G since it's launch simple things like not being able to send numbers (business cards), editing numbers after you've dialed them (people on o2 in the UK trying to call freephone numbers will feel my pain!). 2.1 really wasn't worthy of the revision number, stupid things like genius should have been pushed back in favor of things the ****ing consumer have been asking for since the original iPhone! 2.1 should have been 2.0.6 or something!

It's even more annoying when people look at stuff like this in posts and say "wow this is amazing" when **** like this SHOULD have been in the original 2.0 firmware.

I love my iPhone, don't get me wrong, but there are little things that Apple have clearly overlooked during development and IA.

KTrinh93

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
Intelliscreen by Apple? Interesting...

hah yeah i was just going to say this sure seems very much like Intelliscreen...but of course Apple will just charge for the app and not need a license. and of course this would be much more stable than Intelliscreen, which i have tried and there are a few bugs in it but hopefully if Apple makes something like this that they will iron out those bugs.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
a JB iphone already has a similar app intelliscreen,someone above the post mentioned.
ITs already done but now with this patent,not sure if the dev from that app could port it to the app store now.mmm

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007

I assume when you click on the message link, it'll ask for your passcode if you have one, so you'd have to unlock it, but it is taking you directly to that message/notification when you click it.

I doubt it will display the message when the screen is locked. It'll just say who it's from. Most phones do that - press a button and it'll still be locked but let you look at a glance and see if there is any notifications. I do that all the time, check if I've missed a call or a text message. Takes a second, as opposed to unlocking, checking it, then relocking.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm on my iPhone right now so I can't paste the link, but this was discussed in great detail by myself as well as others in the iPhone forum back in April or May. We designed several mockups that could show what this might look like. I encourage all who like this idea to search for that thread, which I believe was in response to the intelliscreen concept. From this patent, it looks like Apple saw my design, as well as others, and must have liked them.

Apple, if you are reading this and want to hire me...lol.

You know what to do...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Now that I like! I like how my current Razr (when the screen hasn't gone dark) tells me that I've missed calls and stuff on that little screen on the front. Make it so Apple!

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
I was just thinking about this today. I wish there were some way to acknowledge a text message or alarm without unlocking, going to the home screen, and entering the SMS/Clock apps.

Perhaps a mini-slider? As in, something similar to the Unlock slider, but something that says, "Slide to Dismiss"

It's a bit ridiculous to be able to read an SMS in its entirety on the at-a-glance screen, then have to unlock/go to homescreen, and go into the SMS app just to keep it from repeatedly beeping every five minutes, and then lock the phone again.

But yes, it's good to see that Apple is continually working on the iPhone OS. It's the best mobile interface I've ever used, but it's got small imperfections.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Errr so they patent it, and I bet it gets copied by just about everyone out there.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'm on my iPhone right now so I can't paste the link, but this was discussed in great detail by myself as well as others in the iPhone forum back in April or May. We designed several mockups that could show what this might look like. I encourage all who like this idea to search for that thread, which I believe was in response to the intelliscreen concept. From this patent, it looks like Apple saw my design, as well as others, and must have liked them.

Apple, if you are reading this and want to hire me...lol.

You know what to do...

You seriously think Apple saw your work and thought, "We need that!" ?

It is something most, if not all other phones offer - at a glance without unlocking to see if there is any new notifications. It isn't a revolutionary idea, don't get carried away ;)

mca7

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
MAil!

Do it! But add a mail notification too! I'm sick of having to slide the slider every time I want to see if I have new mail!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.