Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
finally Apple is addressing some of the biggest iPhone issues. The ones that affect the iPhone's usability as an actual phone, not a video game/entertainment/goofing off system

Sratner

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2001
Notification Light

Additionally i was hoping that they would have added a notification light so that i don't have to turn on the phone to see if there is anything new waiting for me, also in lieu of that I would like the option to turn on "bug" and have the phone either vibrate or make a sound every few minutes to let me know stuff is waiting my attention.

Scott

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Hmmmm... apple are starting to annoy me with the whole "there's this new amazing feature (that's also secretly been on phones since 1999)". Having an iPhone 3G since it's launch simple things like not being able to send numbers (business cards), editing numbers after you've dialed them (people on o2 in the UK trying to call freephone numbers will feel my pain!). 2.1 really wasn't worthy of the revision number, stupid things like genius should have been pushed back in favor of things the ****ing consumer have been asking for since the original iPhone! 2.1 should have been 2.0.6 or something!

It's even more annoying when people look at stuff like this in posts and say "wow this is amazing" when **** like this SHOULD have been in the original 2.0 firmware.

I love my iPhone, don't get me wrong, but there are little things that Apple have clearly overlooked during development and IA.

Yea - you are right - look how many competitors have blown them out of the water with better functionality. Apple has really overlooked a lot of things on the iPhone.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
this would get seriously annoying for all the spam that is out there. I like the current vibration i get when i get mail letting me know it is there, rather than light up the screen every time one comes in.

Get a new mail host. Gmail spam filters are effing great, I get almost zero spam (around 1 or 2 spam emails per year get to my inbox, tops).

eightwire

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

A couple of people have touched on this- I miss the little LED light from my Blackberry that flashed different colors based on status...

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
psh!

boring... "think different"? this isn't innovative at all, and should have been there at the start.

Hooka

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, FL
notification light?

this would be great the home screen is basically useless.

What would be awesome is if just a few pixels could light up when in "sleep mode" to let you know you have a message waiting...

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Very nice!
I look forward to this!
:)

isethx

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
new windows ad

i wish i could start a thread but i don't post enough! there is a new windows ad out. just saw it on NBC

and now 2 seconds later it's on the front page! nevermind

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

eightwire said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

A couple of people have touched on this- I miss the little LED light from my Blackberry that flashed different colors based on status...

Seriously. My old StarTac did that, back in 1997/8.

They could simply make the home button inlay glow so they could have an indicator light without compromising the aesthetics of the phone.

Quincy9219

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
We're not going to get push before the end of Sept, are we? I wish Apple would just start saying vague "dates" like 'Fall 2008' instead of giving a specific month, since it seems they can't make their projected release dates as of late.

They pulled the push notifications from this version of the firmware so as to perfect the technique. What would you rather, crappy push and the same instability found in 2.0.1-2.0.2, or would like almost 1.1.4 stability and another couple months wait for push?

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
Why don't they start by making the unlocking slider slightly diagonal instead of perfectly perpendicular. When holding the phone, the human thumb moves diagonally, and not perfectly at a right angle. Hundreds of times, I've slid my thumb across only to see the slider fly back to the left and not unlock. Apple, think "ergonomics."
(note: if you are left handed, you can choose a setting in the phone to make the diagonal for left-handed)

Attachments

• thumb_slider.JPG
    thumb_slider.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 64

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Intelliscreen by Apple? Interesting...

yeah lol. take an idea from jailbreakers who can't speak for fear of getting sued.

and yeah, i downloaded intelliscreen when jailbreaking was still popular for the calendar on the home screen. it's so useful. then, you could swipe the event and a button would appear that would take you to the calendar.app.

ServicePack

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
Funny

I posted feedback to Apple over 6 months ago about such a feature being on the screen without having to unlock the device...mmmm, no email yet from them, so assume that I was one of many who posted such a request.

Dec

apixel

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
Still is

yeah lol. take an idea from jailbreakers who can't speak for fear of getting sued.

and yeah, i downloaded intelliscreen when jailbreaking was still popular for the calendar on the home screen. it's so useful. then, you could swipe the event and a button would appear that would take you to the calendar.app.

It's still "popular", y'know. And it's the only way to get intelliscreen and a video recorder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.